Search for content in message boards

Ready for a Laugh????

Ready for a Laugh????

Posted: 2 Sep 2009 4:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Tim Sullivan, CEO of Ancestry.com, will be the FGS conference’s keynote speaker. Titled “The Future of Our Past: Preserving Yesterday’s Records for Tomorrow’s Researchers,” Tim’s talk will discuss how technology has and is drastically changing the way we pursue our family history.

Re: Ready for a Laugh????

Posted: 2 Sep 2009 5:45PM GMT
Tim has, of course, deleted any mention of the Drouin Collection that was in his original speech -- right?

:)

Posted: 2 Sep 2009 6:24PM GMT
"Tim’s talk will discuss how technology has and is drastically changing the way we pursue our family history."

PURSUE was such a good choice of words. At Ancestry, you must catch the data before it disappears or becomes so corrupted with inane linking and unintelligible user comments as to be worthless.

Posted: 2 Sep 2009 9:21PM GMT
Hope that someone in attendance has prepared some really good questions for the Q&A session; that is, if a Q&A session is permitted.

Posted: 3 Sep 2009 9:18AM GMT
A few recent TOWN HALL meetings come to mind...I betting no Q & A..

Posted: 3 Sep 2009 12:39PM GMT
"I have no problem with Ancestry.com, I think they do a good job, and would not be where I am without them"

You must be a beginner??? Or work on their helpdesk???

Posted: 9 Sep 2009 8:47AM GMT

From Eastman's Newsletter, 4 Sep 09:

"The keynote speaker was Tim Sullivan, CEO of Ancestry.com. He talked about many of the recent changes in genealogy research and then compared them with techniques of 20 years or more ago. He pointed out that the methodologies may have changed, but the core values of accuracy and scholarship remain unchanged."

Posted: 9 Sep 2009 11:44AM GMT
I have a comment about the "so-called records" that Ancestry has been posting as "new records". For the most part, these are not records, these are texts of old books that were found in genealogy libraries. In my opinion, a record is just that, a public record in an image such as marriage records, death certificates, probates, wills, etc-not someone's old book, sometimes with only an index showing where to get the record and not the record itself. Many of these old books were already available on Genealogy.com so all they had to do was migrate them over to Ancestry.com and "voila" a "new record".

Posted: 9 Sep 2009 1:23PM GMT
". . .the core values of accuracy and scholarship remain unchanged."

Tim Sullivan is truly a funny guy.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic