Search for content in message boards

Lookup for obituary for Thomas Welch 1833-1891?

Lookup for obituary for Thomas Welch 1833-1891?

Posted: 21 Oct 2010 9:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Welch, Welsh, Walsh
Can anyone do a lookup on the obituary for Thomas Welch 1833-1891? The book I got from Rock Co Gen Socy says that they were published in the Recorder Times on December 24, 1891 (3:4) and January 1, 1892 (3:1). I am mostly interested on information on his place of birth (county in Ireland), parents, and siblings. So if anyone has other sources for that, I'd also be interested. (Based on his proximity to my relatives in Janesville, Rock, WI censuses, he appears to be related to my family. I am trying to confirm that.) Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

Re: Lookup for obituary for Thomas Welch 1833-1891?

Posted: 21 Oct 2010 10:27PM GMT
Funeral of Thomas Welch
The remains of Thomas Welch were
buried in Mount Olivet cemetery
Christmas afternoon, services being
held at St. Patrick's church at 2:30
o'clock, conducted by Rev. Father
McGinnity. There was a large at
tendance at the church, and many
friends accompanied the mourning
family to the cemetery.
Janesville Gazette | Janesville, Wisconsin | Saturday, December 26, 1891 | Page 4

Posted: 28 Oct 2010 9:47PM GMT
Surnames: Welch
I was at the Rock County Register of Deeds office today and I looked up Thomas Welch in their book that included 1891. Here's the only Thomas Welch I found....
Thomas Welch
race: White
sex: Male
age at time of death: 64
Father:__________
Mother:___________
Place of Birth: Ireland
Wife:____________
Date of Birth:__________(according to his age at death he was born about 1830)

Date of Death: September 14, 1894
Cause of Death: Asthema and Bronchitis
Place of Death: Town of Rock, Wisconsin
Burial at Mt. Olivet, Janesville, Wisconsin

I know it's not real informative but I hope it helps. This was the only Thomas Welch that I could find in that particular date range.

Posted: 2 Nov 2010 1:30AM GMT
Surnames: Welch, Walsh
Thanks for looking up the obituary. It doesn't provide any of the info I was looking for. However, I can now eliminate that obit as a potential resource. Thanks!

Posted: 2 Nov 2010 1:45AM GMT
Thanks for the register of deeds lookup, too. It's not the specific Thomas I was looking for. However, I am organizing info on all Welches/Walshes in Janesville and Beloit (and maybe later in some of the other Rock Co towns) -- because I believe others are related. For others researching this individual, I have the Mt. Olivet cemetery book and it shows a Thomas Welch who died in 1894 as having been born in 1832 in Tipperary Co, Ireland. In the same plot (066-01) are buried Bridget (1829-1922), Nellie Lee (1899-1931), Thomas (1860-1929). I have pictures of most of the Welch/Walsh gravestones in Mt Olivet. Thomas' monument says "Born Dec 22 1832." Nellie's stone actually says Nellie Welch Lee 1859-1931.

Posted: 13 Sep 2012 1:48AM GMT
Classification: Obituary
BRIED ON CHRISTMAS
THOMAS WELCH
The same bell that rang out the merry Christmas chimes at St. Patrick's Christmas morning tolled a revulem for the dead in the afternoon. At half past two o'clock a large number of friends of the late Thomas Welch assembled to pay their final tribute of respect to the departed. Dean E. M. McGinney conducted the rites and many followed the remains to their final resting place in Mt Olivet cemetery. The deceased was for many years a resident of Janesville and was possessed of many good qualities. The bereved wife and fathers children have the sympathy of many in their great and irreparable loss.
Janesville Weekly Recorder and Times Thursday Jan. 1, 1892 Pg.3:1

PASSED OVER THE RIVER
THOMAS WELCH
At 12:30 o'clock this morning Thomas Welch, after a long illness, succumed to the inevitable and passe to his final rest. His death occurred at his home on West Milwaukee street, aged fifty-eight years. He had been a resident of Janesville for the past thirty years. He leaves besides a wife four children-two daughters and two sons, Edward Welch, passenger conductor on the Chicago and Northwestern road; Mrs. Edward Mathews, of Chicago; Nellie and Willie Welch of this city.
Janesville Weekly Recorder and Times Dec 24. 1891. Pg.3:4

Posted: 13 Sep 2012 1:57AM GMT
Surnames: Welsh
COMMITTED EARTH TO EARTH
THOMAS WELSH
Thomas Welsh, an old resident of the town of Rock, passed away yesterday afternoon, aged 62 years. The immediate cause of the dissolution was bronchial trouble. He leaves a widow and seven children--Mrs. Willam Ford of Beloit; Mrs. James Horn of Janesville; Mrs. James Lee of Milwaukee; Thoas S. Welshof the town of Rock; T??s? Welsh of the town of Rock; M. J. Welsh and Miss Lizzie Welsh of Janesville.
The Daily Gazette Saturday Sept. 15, 1894. Pg.5:5

Posted: 13 Sep 2012 2:18AM GMT
Funeral of Thoms Welch.
Fater Collins conducted the furneral services of Thomas Welch at St. Patrick's church this morning at 10 o'clock, after which the remains were taken to Mount Olivet for burial, there being a large attendance at the funeral. The pall bearers wetre John O'Leary, Peter Skelly,Patrick Finley, Hugh Cranny, Patrick Butler, William Ford.
The Janesville Daily Gazette,Monday Sept. 17, 1894. Pg.4:2

Posted: 11 Jan 2013 3:25AM GMT
Were you able to get any information on where this Thomas came from in Ireland, the name of the wife and full names of the children listed? I'm trying to find more information on a Thomas J Welch married to Mary Brown? and children (possibly Kate, Minnie, Elizabeth, Willie and Nellie).

Information on Thomas Welch b.1833, Ireland, d. 1891 Janesville, Wisconsin

Posted: 9 Apr 2014 1:54PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 13 Apr 2014 2:35PM GMT
Hi, are you still looking for info on this Thomas? I was researching him for a while because I thought he might be related to my Welch family since he lived right next door. (He still might be.)
In the 1880 U.S. census, he and Mary Brown were listed with six children:
Thomas 46
Mary 38
Edward 19
Kate 16
Nellie 12
Minnie 10
William 6
Elizabeth 3
The oldest son, Edward, I believe is named "Edmund" in earlier censuses. (This happened in my family as well, Edmunds became Edward after moving to the U.S.)
I was able to trace where Edmund died (the railroad must have transferred him to Illinois--- Thomas' obit says he worked for the railroad).

Here is the link to Edward's grave:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=We...;

Here is Edward's death certificate, and you can see that Thomas Welch and Mary Brown were his parents:
http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&...

MOST EXCITING, (as I said, he was Edmund in earlier censuses, and then Edward) I found his baptism in Lixtaw, County Kerry, Ireland. It is for Edmund Walsh (all of my family was "Walsh" in the records in Ireland, "Welch," the phonetic spelling, once they got to the U.S.) born in 1861 to parents Thomas Walsh and Mary Brosnan. I believe that Brown must have been the understanding of the phonetic spelling of the way "Brosnan" was pronounced by the Irish.
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details...

I also found a possible birth for Thomas as well. It is also in County Kerry and not too far from Lixaw where Thomas's son Edmund was born. Of course I can't be sure it's the right Thomas, because I didn't know his parents' names, but the father is Edmund Walsh, and I figured there was a good chance Thomas named his son after his father. I didn't find any other Thomas Walshes who fit this closely, even though it's a common name.
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details...

I hope this helps and you can use the information on your family!
Thomas lived right next door to our Welches in Janesville, so we thought he might be related. I located our family in Cork, about 90 miles from where Edmund was born in Kerry, so they may or may not be related.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions