Search for content in message boards

2014, error and shutdown

2014, error and shutdown

Posted: 14 Dec 2013 2:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am trying to clean up my 2014 files, getting ride of duplicates, but each time I try to delete, or unlink, I get a "FTM stopped working" and it shuts down. Checked for updates or patches, but nothing. Anyone got any ideas or are you having the same problem?

Re: 2014, error and shutdown

Posted: 14 Dec 2013 4:04PM GMT
Tell us more about the file, people count, Family count, media count, type of media, size range of media and overall FTM file size?

Now tell us more about your system, OS and version, disk size and amount of empty space, amount of RAM, what AV program is running and any other programs that may be running?

Posted: 14 Dec 2013 4:56PM GMT
I run Win 7 on a computer with 1T hard drive, 816 GB free space, plus a 1T separate storage file, 8G ram. My tree file has 22,859 people, (no idea of family count), FTM file size is 66,830KB, 2,404 media files, combo census files from Ancestry, jpg (scanned) photos and various other files. I have run "compact file" already, no problems.

I am running FTM 2014 which I upgraded to about a month ago from 2012. I am not syncing and don't want to. I am running only my e-mail and IE. I have been doing this over and over, many times with no problem. Duplicate source media is what I am trying to delete. ie: 2 1880 census files, one with an Ancestry link, one without. I want to remove the one "without". Always before, I would click on "unlink source citation" and say yes and it was gone. Now when I do that, my FTM shuts down and begins to look for a windows solution (which I find ridiculous, but...) and then shuts down. When I open, FTM tells me to run compact file, which I do, getting 0.00% and try again, same thing.

Posted: 15 Dec 2013 3:54PM GMT
Thanks for the additional information.

Does this happen in another database?

Have you run any of these so called "Speed up my computer" programs?
They are also known as "Registry cleaners".
If NOT do not run one, but if you have which one and when?

Posted: 15 Dec 2013 4:07PM GMT
Nope do not run that junk on my computer, I am a long time user of Norton products and do not every use anything but them.

No it has not happened in any other database.

And last but not least, it does not (today) do it ever single time, which really baffles me.

Posted: 15 Dec 2013 4:32PM GMT
jstrick884,
I was a long time Norton user, but many years ago when he was bought out, the product went down hill for me. I still hear about a lot of issues when running Norton's.

Then when it happens just sometimes that is also a issue, that it can not be reproduced.

Keep an eye on it and try and document what else is going on with your system at the time this happens. You just may see something that may appear to common when it does happen.

Have you checked and tested your RAM?

Posted: 15 Dec 2013 5:08PM GMT
Yep, RAM checked. I love Norton, it has saved my butt several times and the tech folks are amazing. Last year, one of my grandchildren downloaded "something" and the Norton Tech guy, worked on my computer for almost 3 hours and got it cleaned out. So I have been pleased, but it like vanilla and chocolate, you know. I have friends who swear by McAfee and I would not have it on machine of mine. Sort of feel the same as you stated above, when it sold out, it went rapidly downhill.

Thanks for the try. Will take your advice and use it.

Jan

Posted: 2 Feb 2014 11:43AM GMT
Surnames: Tedford
We have a new 19.5 inch Sony Vaio and downloaded the lates Family Treemaker programme. Everything was working fine until we upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. That seems to be when our shutdowns began. We are running the Kaspersky antivirus that came with the computer. It shuts down when merging, attaching and detaching people.

Posted: 2 Feb 2014 3:40PM GMT
Tell us more about your system, OS and version, disk size and amount of empty space, amount of RAM, what AV program is running and any other programs that may be running?

I have a new Sony laptop running Windows 8.1 64 bit and I have no problems running FTM 2014.
It did NOT come with Kaspersky, but I think it was trial version of Norton's.

Is this Kaspersky a trial version or have you subscribed to use it?
It does not come free.

Posted: 2 Feb 2014 5:41PM GMT
This has been happening to me since upgrading to 2014. Running W8, now 8.1 with 32 GB and 1.
TB. It is almost always old links. I am rather sure that it is due the linked file being missing. Not sure why they are missing, Often if a link is associated with several facts, such as a public member tree with name, birth, etc., there will be a stoppage with each deleted link. It will also happen if facts are added in Ancestry, then sync, and then deleted links before the sync has finished.

It does not stop working if a fact is deleted.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic