Search for content in message boards

Locating Naturalization records

Locating Naturalization records

Posted: 17 Sep 2012 4:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Has anyone had any luck with locating Naturalization records from between the years 1870-1910 in St Louis?
My ancestor was a SLPD sergeant and I assume that he would have had to at least file a declaration for Naturalization but I have had no luck with SLPL, or the St Louis County Library. They told me that the SL Genealogy Society had an online index but that's not the case or maybe it is for members only. My ancestor lived in St Louis City from 1880 and died in 1919. I believe that he joined the SLPD circa 1890. Thank you.

Re: Locating Naturalization records

Posted: 17 Sep 2012 6:56PM GMT
Missouri Digital Heritage (Secretary of state's website) has an index to naturalization records. I have had some luck finding ancestors in this database.

http://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/naturalization/

Play around with alternative spellings to see if you can get a match. I think the 1900, 1910 Census included whether the person was a naturalized citizen and the date of naturalization. (Those dates of course are not always accurate). But it can help you figure out if you have the right person and right time period

You can order a copy of the original record from the Missouri State Archives. However, the information I have obtained on my ancestors from these records has been very, very minimal.

Good luck!

Posted: 17 Sep 2012 7:17PM GMT
I read somewhere (can't remember exactly where) that the census didn't indicate whether a naturalized citizen or not until the 1920 census (and he passed in 1919). I saw one from 1918 and it gave place of birth and exact dob but I know that those from before 1906 give minimal info.
Thank you for your help!

Posted: 17 Sep 2012 7:29PM GMT
Hey, found a card! Name was misspelled as Trojanoski and country was listed as Poland instead of Russia. Record date was 7/14/1886. Wish there was more info though.

Posted: 17 Sep 2012 7:46PM GMT
I looked back at some of the census records from my own family, and you are correct. 1900 and 1910 Census give year of immigration and immigration status (naturalized or alien) but do not list year of immigration. 1920 lists the year of naturalization, if naturalized.

Glad you found a match! Have you had any luck finding your ancestor in the passenger lists here on Ancestry?

Posted: 17 Sep 2012 8:41PM GMT
No, but I think I found somewhere that he emigrated in 1871 His brothers settled in Texas and he in St Louis.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions