Search for content in message boards

Catherine/Katherine Ann? Alward, DuBois Cemetery, Mason, Michigan

Catherine/Katherine Ann? Alward, DuBois Cemetery, Mason, Michigan

Posted: 29 Jan 2006 7:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Apr 2006 6:20PM GMT
Surnames: Alward
Recently, we have come across a new line in our family. We found the abandoned DuBois Cemetery in Mason, Michigan. Next to my 3x's great grandmother, name was Mary Ann (Wing) Corner/Irish, is the name Catherine Alward. Mary Ann (Wing) Corner/Irish mothers name was Katherine Ann Travis/Taylor, married to an Ephraim Wing. Could this be Mary Ann's mother? Possibly re-marrying to an Alward? Rather odd that both names are on one headstone. Anyone with any information please contact me. Thanks...

Re: Catherine/Katherine Ann? Alward, DuBois Cemetery, Mason, Michigan

Posted: 30 Jan 2006 7:28PM GMT
Surnames: ALWARD DENNIS HULL
Hi Kathy
I'm an ALWARD researcher and hold a Henry C. ALWARD who married third a Catherine Ann who was born about 1813 in New York and died at Clinton County, Michigan 2 Feb 1886. Henry C. died 2 years before on 10 Jan 1884 at DeWitt Township, Clinton, MI. Catherine is in the 1860, 1870 and 1880 censuses with Henry so married before 1860 but after 1856 when Henry was still with second wife, Rhoda DENNIS. Henry's first wife was Nancy HULL. Does this sound like the same Catherine Ann. I don't believe she had any children by Henry.
Regards
Bruce Johnson
Port Bruce, Ontario

Posted: 31 Jan 2006 2:26AM GMT
Edited: 7 Apr 2006 6:20PM GMT
Thank you!!! Katherine (Travis/Taylor) Wing/Alward was my 5x's great grandmother. Her 1st. husband was Ephriam Wing (Wyng/Winge). They had several children, one being my 4x's great grandmother, Mary Ann (Wing) Corner/Irish. We fouind an old, abandoned cemetery on/near the old family farms in Mason, Mich. The cemetery is the DuBois Cemetery on Every Rd. , Mason, Michigan. In this cemetery are headstones of many, including Mary (Wing) Corner/Irish. The names on one single headstone are Mary Irish and Catherine Alward. We know we know who Mary is, was wondering if by chance this Catherine Alward was her mother, being re-married.. This has answered yet another puzzling question that was lingering. By chance, would you know why Catherine is buried with her daughter, and not her husband Alward? Were they possibly Catholic and she could not be buried in a Catholic cemetery as she was not catholic? I am very thankful for your reply. I doubt there are any pictures of Catherine. Thank you again. If you have any other information on Catherine, please feel free to write. THANK YOU !!!!!

Posted: 20 Aug 2007 9:57PM GMT
I googled Katherine Ann Travis and came across your message about the name Catherine Alward. Catherine Alward is my great-great grandmother. Her full name is Katherine Ann Travis Wing Taylor Alward. She was married three times with children from her first marriage to Ephraim Wing. I don't have any record of children from subsequent marriages to Taylor or Alward. Her children were; Harvey P. Wing, Polly Maria Wing, Mary Ann Wing, Emma H. Wing and William Wing. Polly is my great grandmother. I have family pictures and some other details about the Wing family if any of that would be helpful to you.

Posted: 24 Aug 2007 11:09PM GMT
Katherine was my 3 x's great grandmother (maternal side). My mother and I would pay for all copies of photos, etc. you may have. We have a liniage going back to 1545. I'd basically given up hope of hearing from anyone about this name/line. Thank you so much for replying. Looking forward to hearing from you soon. Thanks again...Kathy

Posted: 26 Aug 2007 1:48AM GMT
I have pictures of Katherine and Ephraim taken in St. John, MI probably shortly after they arrived with their family from Naples, NY. Also have a picture of Mary Irish and her three children as well as some pictures taken later in life with her sister Polly. I have an obituary for Mary found in Polly's bible. In addition I have the memorial card for Katherine which the family had prepared at the time of her passing. How would you like to receive copies ? I can send by attachment to an e-mail or if you prefer I can send copies by US mail. Will need your address or e-mail.

Posted: 27 Aug 2007 12:49AM GMT
Thank you so much for replying so quickly. My mom is thrilled beyond words. Due to lightning striking my home, my computer was fried. I am using an older computer that can't use a printer. Please send them via US mail directly to my mother. She will pay whatever you ask for all copies of pictures, etc. Thank you so very much.

Esther Hamstra
416 3rd. Ave.
Holland, Michigan

Posted: 4 Sep 2007 11:13PM GMT
Greetings. My mom and I were wondering if you sent the pictures, etc. off in the US mail? I am Kathy, my mother is Esther. This line comes in thru my grandmother (maternal), Charlotte Ann (Watkins) Keenan. We still live in Michigan. We found the DuBois Cemetery. It is ram-shackled, quite a dis-array. We did get photos of headstones. We plan on going back in the fall and cleaning the cemetery up. I plan to plant day lillies, etc. that have been dug and re-planted in my gardens from my grandmother, who got them from her mother, etc. Looking forward to the mail and hearing from you again.

Posted: 6 Sep 2007 4:43AM GMT
The pictures and other items were sent today, September 5, via US Mail. Let me know if they arrive OK.

Posted: 6 Sep 2007 6:42PM GMT
Wonderful! Can't wait to receive all that was sent. My grandmother never really did talk much of her side of the family. It's great to find new tid-bits and add to our search. Thank you again! What state are you residing in?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic