Search for content in message boards

Chief Little Shell

Chief Little Shell

Posted: 25 Sep 2000 1:13PM GMT
Edited: 15 Aug 2001 10:48PM GMT
Doing all this research makes me wonder about Chief Thomas Little Shell. Does anyone have any information about him?

Little Shell

Eric (View posts)
Posted: 19 Oct 2000 1:30PM GMT
Brenda I am an enrolled member of the Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa. Our latest cheif was Chief Little Shell. However, there was more than one Chief Little Shell I belief there were three of them with the same name. If you give a geographical setting of this chief you might have a better chance of finding your information. If our chief happens to be the one your looking for you can call our heritage center for more information at (701) 477-6140. I hope this helps.

Little Shell

Posted: 19 Oct 2000 1:49PM GMT
Edited: 15 Aug 2001 10:48PM GMT
Hi Eric. Thanks for the reply. Are you a member of the Little Shell of chippewa cree of Mt or ND? My entire family thought we were enrolled as members of the Little Shell of Montana (Great FAlls) because we had all applied for the descendants fund, seeing as how we got the checks we just assumed we were enrolled. Needless to say, it doesn't work that way. You know what they say about "assume"! Thanks for the phone number and I'll be looking into that. My ancestors are Latrays,LaValleys and Lavengers. Each name seems to send me 100 different directions so if you know anything about any of these family lines, I'd be forever in your debt! (HA HA). Thank you for taking the time to reply. I always love hearing from people of the same tribe. I was born 100 years too late, I'd have loved being an eye witness to our tribal history, its so fascinating. Again, thanks......Brenda

Re: Little Shell

Posted: 4 Dec 2002 7:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Apr 2003 4:19PM GMT
I beleive the thomas little shell you are asking about is the LAST DESCENDENT of the Chief little shell. Some say he was an adopted son of little shell. he died in the 1950's with out any heirs. prior to that i dont believe Little shell's used western first names.
ps I have lived in the Turtle Mountains my whole life. My mother grew up close to where the little shell you speak of lived.

Brenda Snider (View posts)
Posted: 4 Dec 2002 7:09PM GMT
Thank you Brian. I recently saw a photo of Chief Little Shell for the first time and also have a portrait of him. I would like to know more about him - my tribe is still fighting for recognition in Montana. My interest is more of the historical nature. Any good books you'd recommend?

Thanks Again!
Brenda S.
ronm1@verizon.net

Posted: 4 Dec 2002 7:18PM GMT
Little Shell and a group of followers went to montana in his absence the govt appointed people to sign a treaty, I beleieve it was the treaty of 1892... of which a relative of mine was the 5th of 6th to sign. there are some books detailing this.. i will do some research and get back to you..... the little shell band from what i hear from their leader here... Ron Delorme is close to recognition......

Brenda Snider (View posts)
Posted: 5 Dec 2002 2:45PM GMT
Thanks Brian.

I have the books "Strange Empire" and "The Protest of the 10 Cent Treaty" (extracted by Gail Morin). The book about the 10-cent treaty is a good one, mostly historical documents- including the one you referred too - several members of my family also signed that. I am a direct descendant of Cuthbert Grant and Pierre Falcon. I am also a Little Shell awaiting recognition. There is a new website for the Little Shell of Montana www.littleshelltribe.com - its a pretty good site so far. Seeing as Thomas Little Shell was sooooo important to my people, I'd like to know much more about him.
Thanks again Brian!
Brenda S.

Posted: 5 Dec 2002 3:01PM GMT
I too am directly descended from Cuthbert Grant.....I will continue to locate a good book ...Charlie WhiteWeasel's father Patrick Gourneau wrote a book that may be of help to you. I will see if i can locate one.

Fred W Rush (View posts)
Posted: 29 Sep 2003 7:34PM GMT
Surnames: Hall, Lazier
Hello Eric

In part of your message, you stated that Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa-is that as in Turtle Mountain Indian Reserve in North Dakota?

I supposedly affilliated with the Little Shell Chippewa Tribe in Great Falls Montana but just starting to research the family.

My grtgrdfather was Abraham Charles Lazier married(not sure of name) Dora Hall (not sure if they were married) after they had children-Alberta Jane Lazier(my grandmother)-b-1872 in or near Jefferson CIty, Missouri; and Charles Abraham Lazier-b-1886, Jefferson County, Missouri then migrated to Turtle Mountain Indian Reserve by wagon train for 2 1/2 months. Have more info.

Any info would be appreciated.

Meegwitch
Fred W. Rush-(slow walker)
Marathon, Ontario
Canada
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions