Search for content in message boards

Elijah Morris

Elijah Morris

Debbie Morris (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jul 2002 6:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Morris
Hi, My name is Debbie and I am looking for info on my 5th GreatGrandFather Elijah Morris b.1783. He married Jincey Haymore in Pittsylvani Co. on 11-2-1818.Any info or help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thank You. Debbie Morris

Re: Elijah Morris

Anonymous (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jul 2004 10:16PM GMT
My Great-Grandfather's name was Elijah Morris, and he was from "somewhere" in the South. My Grandfather, who was his son was named Marion A. Morris. His father was Elijah, but his mother, "Morning Star" was a Chocktaw Indian who died in childbirth. Marion was raised by Elijah, along with his other older brothers, who he remembered going off to fight in the Civil War! Marion was born 3/04/1859 in Coffey County, AL. Our family is trying to find any history, pls reply to harperps@juno.com. Thanks, Sherri Harper

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 5:26AM GMT
Edited: 22 Nov 2012 5:26AM GMT
Hi Debbie. Over ten years since your post, but thought that I would see if you are still looking for info regarding Elijah Morris who married Jincey Haymore. I have some data that might help. Hope to hear from you. Bill Kiser

Posted: 15 Dec 2012 5:36PM GMT
Bill saw your comment on Elijah, I have been looking for documentation on Elijah's father and mother. Been through Pittsylvania County courthouse and so far not come up with anything. Have his marriage, he, Jincey and son there on 1820 Census before they went to Wythe County sometime before 1830. So far that is the earliest I have been able to document. If you have any direction of guidance It would be appreciated.

Posted: 22 Dec 2012 2:18AM GMT
Hello nature0007. I have been looking at this family for some time and have visited the courthouse in Chatham twice. Here are a couple of items gleaned from tax, deed, and church records: Marriage 2 Nov 1818, Elijah Morris & Jincey Haymore, Bondsman: William Inman, Married by: James Beck.

Note: Elijah is probably the son of John Morris (Sr.) and Susanna Johnson (see their marriage 19 Nov 1786 in Bedford County). Deed and church records substantiate John and Susanna moving from Bedford to Pittsylvania in 1804. William Inman (Jr.) is Elijah’s uncle through William’s first marriage to Elijah’s aunt, Nancy Morris, and also related through the fact that Jincey’s aunt is Elizabeth Haymore Inman, William’s second wife. James Beck was Pastor at Strawberry Baptist Church 1816-1829.

Jesse Morris is the probable brother of Elijah. Marriage 1 Nov 1815, Jesse Morris & Lidia Inman, Bondsman: Elijah Morris, Signer of Certificate: William Inman, Relationship, father, Married by: Thomas Boaz.

Note: Jesse and Elijah Morris are probably brothers and the sons of John Morris (Sr.) and Susanna Johnson. Lidia Inman is the daughter of William Inman (Jr.). William Inman (Jr.) is also Jesse’s uncle through William’s first marriage to Jesse’s aunt, Nancy Morris. Jesse and Lidia would then be cousins. Thomas Boaz was the minister at Strawberry Church 1808-1816. Based on other Ancestry trees this may have been the 3rd marriage of Lydia: 1) to Daniel R. Davis, date ?, 2) to Daniel Boaz, 16 Jan 1796, and 3) to Jesse Morris, 1 Nov 1815.

I transcribed all the "Morris" personal property tax records for Pittsylvania from 1782 through 1850. John Morris had two additional tithes in 1813, one disappeared in 1814 and Elijah appeared for the first time in 1815. The second additional tithe disappeared in 1816 and Jesse appeared for the first time that same year.

How do you relate to Elijah? Is your tree on Ancestry? Hope this helps in your search. I might be able to provide more info after viewing your tree. I prefer e-mail, since I don't look at Ancestry every day. My address: bill_kiser@comcast.net (that's an underscore between the names).

Have a Merry Christmas - Bill Kiser

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 4:59PM GMT
Thank you for your response and information.I am the son of John S. Morris Jr, from John S. Morris Sr., from John Steven Morris, from James M.Morris, from John (Bell or William) Morris ? on the B., from Elijah Morris. Because of some issues I have not posted on line. I have found some connections on line I believe to be incorrect, Therefore, trying to be careful and have docs in hand before posting. I have Elijah's marriage and his 1820 census in Pittsylvania County and there was a Eliza Morris on that 1820 just under him?? Have not looked much from there. It seems they all moved to Wythe County by 1830. There was a Benjamin Morris, much older, that shows up there at the same time. The Inmans also so up during the same time in Wythe. Elijah was to have died in Wythe County in 1860 but so far have not found any record of his death there, he and Jencey both are on the 1860 Census for Wythe County. John B. Morris did go to Missouri after around with the local police over drafting his 15 year old son James M. Morris into the Confederate Army. However, it seems he was still on the Wythe County Census in 1870, yet records there say he departed this life interstate. According to my Great Grandfather he told me that the Police Chief told him once he was released on bale that he would shoot him on site if he caught him on the street. As I said earlier there were lots of names of Morris' and others that show up at the same time in Wythe County around the 1830 Census. Once I get somethings straightened out I plan to post what I have.

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 6:18PM GMT
I'm related to Elijah Morris through my great-grandmother on my mother's side, Etta Missouri Morris (married Frank Runion in Giles Co, VA). Etta was the daughter of Joseph Henry Morris, son of Jesse L. Morris, son of Elijah. Strangely, my father's family, the Deering's were also from Pittsylvania Co. and a ggg-grandmother, Patsy Deer was bound out to Thomas Boaz in 1808. So I read your post with interest.

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 6:10PM GMT
Let me add a few more details to the Morris family in Pittsylvania Co VA. My GGGGgrandmother was Hannah Morrice, spelled in other records as Morris. She married Joel Stow in Pittsylvania Co Dec 17, 1799. The bondsman was William Morrice (Morris). They lived on Vauls Branch of Strawberry Creek near Strawberry Church. The Stow and Beck families were close in several ways. Hannah had a son William Ayers Stow who married Susan Frizzell, daughter of Isacc Frizell and Lydia Boaz. Hannah had a daughter , Esther, who married Isaac Boaz in Pittsylvania Co Oct 6, 1830. All of these families lived near one another in the Straberry Church area. Joel Stow purchsed 4 acres fro his nighbor, William Morris, on Vauls Creek on Dec 28, 1819. Stow'a proberty bordered on Morris' in 1809. If we could pool all these tidbits we might be able to map this family.
I know quite a bit about Hannah's children but almost nothing about her.

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 1:59AM GMT
I have a few more pieces of the Morris map but certainly not all. My research points to William Morris (Sr.) and his wife Mary Ayers Morris as the parents of Hannah Morris Stowe. William was prominent in the Strawberry Primative Baptist Church (Deacon, Treasurer, Moderator, etc.). Mary Ayer's mother was also named Hannah and her father was James Ayers (Sr.). Hannah Stowe, as you pointed out, appropriately named their first son William Ayers Stowe. There is a great deal of info regarding the Ayers in Bedford County records. Bondsman at Hannah's marriage was most likely William Morris (Jr.), her brother, who married Salley Stowe 16 Nov 1799. William Morris' (Jr.) bondsman was James Morris his probable brother. William Morris (Sr.) gave James a portion of his original farm on Strawberry Creek and James later sold it to James Butcher. The 1830 Pitts census lists a Mary "Harriss" that I believe was incorrectly transcribed and should be Mary "Morriss" the widow of William Morris (Sr.). The elderly female (80-89) would fit. A Mary/Molley Morris continues in the personal property tax listings through 1835. Right next to Mary Harriss/Morriss in the census is Polly Stowe. This might be Hannah Stowe, widow of Joel. Next is Mary Butcher, widow of James Butcher. As you mentioned, Joel Stowe purchased a small plot from his father-in-law, Wm Morris (Sr.), on Strawberry Creek. That appears to be William's last land transfer before his death. Vauls Fork of Strawberry is sometimes miss-identified as Falls Fork. How it was named and exactly its location I don't know. I have visited Morris Branch and Strawberry Church and taken pictures. Enough for now. Keep those "pieces" coming. Bill Kiser

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 2:40AM GMT
Not familiar with the area of Strawberry, however has anyone been able to find any church records from that time. I have found them to be if not helpful surely entertaining.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions