Search for content in message boards

Neals from Tinehely, County Wicklow, Ireland

Neals from Tinehely, County Wicklow, Ireland

Heather Bruchet (View posts)
Posted: 20 Nov 2000 8:42AM GMT
I am looking for the parents/siblings of Winifred Neal ("Winnie"), born in Tinehely, Wicklow County, Ireland in 1785. She died in 1839 in the Townland of Tomnafinoge, was buried May 16, 1839 in Kilcommon Parish, County Wicklow, Ireland. She married Edward Owens. I know she came from a literary family and had (at least) two brothers but do not have anything else. I believe the family was Protestant.

Neal

Tommy Byrne (View posts)
Posted: 20 Nov 2000 11:11AM GMT
My Great Great Great Grandmother was Judith Neal. She Married Charles Byrne and their first child (or so I believe it was their first) Was my GGGrandfather Danile Byrne who was baptised in Avoca, County Wicklow in 1823. This would put Judith in the same generation as your ancestor...but I don't know of any of Judith's siblings or whether or not she is related to your ancestor. Have you ever heard of a Judith Neal in your search ?

Thanks, Tommy Byrne

Judith Neal

Posted: 21 Nov 2000 12:04AM GMT
Hi Tommy - No, I have not heard of Judith, but that does not mean much. I understand that Winnie had two brothers, at least, but I really do not know anything about her family other than she apparently came from a literary family. So at this point it is entirely possible that she could be a sister, or a cousin. The Byrnne name sounds familiar - looking up the family info, I find that Winnie's eldest son William married Jane Byrne, daughter of James Byrne and Jane (nee Welch). Spelling varies a bit, but obviously there are Byrnes in the same area. Do you have anything more on the family? The info I have on James and Jane Byrne, incidentally, was that they were originally RC, but became Episcopalian.

Judith Neal

Tommy Byrne (View posts)
Posted: 21 Nov 2000 2:03AM GMT
Hi,

Unfortunately, that is where my genealogy begins on the Byrne side of the Family. Charles and Judith (and I don't know exactly when they were married or when either one was born). Byrne is the most popular name in County Wicklow, but Neal (neale, neil, neill, O'neil....I know Judith as "Neal")was not as popular in that area. They're children that I know of, were Daniel (my lineage)b. 1823, Bridget b. 1825, Hugh, and Miles b. 1830. Daniel came to the States in in the Late 1840's and settled in St. Louis. I don't know about the rest. Do you happen to know what Winnie's Father's name was, or the name of her eldest brother's eldest son. Or how about her eldest son's name. Sometimes these are good indications of the previous generations's christian names. Thanks for contacting me.

Tommy

Byrne, Neal

Posted: 22 Nov 2000 8:53AM GMT
Hi again - The spelling we have for Neal from old family records is Neal. She was born in 1785, died May 1839.
I do not have the birth date or place for the Jane Byrne who married William Owens. They were married on Augu 4, 1843 in the Shillelagh hurch of Ireland. William and Jane went to Postville, Wisconsin after being in Ontario for a while - they came over from Ireland in the 1850s.
I sent a membership and a bit of research money over to the Genaelogocal society in Wicklow last March, and a follow up letter in September to find out what is going on - to this date I have not had a single word back, so it is at the point where I think I will have to follow up on the bank draft and have an investigation done. So don't you do the same, by sending money over there for research. There seems to be problem.
Heather

Neal

Tommy Byrne (View posts)
Posted: 22 Nov 2000 9:06AM GMT
Hi,

Kilcommon is a surrounding Parish of where my ancestors are from....however, I have no info as of yet to the Neal side of the Family other than Judith. I suspect that she was born around the turn of the Century, but I do not know for sure. I used to use genealogists in Ireland in the Early '90's before the Internet was around...but now I find the task a lot easier and more efficient using the Net.

Where are you writing from ?

Locality

Posted: 22 Nov 2000 9:47PM GMT
I am writing from Edmonton Alberta Canada. And you?

Neal

Tommy Byrne (View posts)
Posted: 23 Nov 2000 1:40AM GMT
I'm a New Yorker, but I live in London.

Re: Neals from Tinehely, County Wicklow, Ireland

Posted: 9 Jun 2014 3:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am also descended from Winifred and Edward. My understanding is she died June 1,1827 from childbirth fever after giving birth to my great great great grandfather Joseph E. Owens. Can we discuss our common heritage?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic