Search for content in message boards

How to find ancestors on immigration records

How to find ancestors on immigration records

Catherine Sherbine (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jun 2004 1:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kelly
Hello. I am thinking about subscribing to get US immigration records. I wanted to know how I would find my ancestors on those lists. If I find matching names, how do I confirm they are my actual ancestor? For example, I am primarily looking for William and Rosanna Kelly who supposedly immigrated from Liverpool. Family story that has been passed down state that they immigrated separately. I know their birth years and I estimate they immigrated about 1850 so I know approx what their age would have been about 1850. I know there are hundreds of men by the name of William Kelly. How would I know which one is my ancestor? I know there are errors galore on US census records. Are there a lot of errors on these immigration records?

Re: How to find ancestors on immigration records

Posted: 20 Jul 2004 1:02AM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Edited: 7 Aug 2006 2:25PM GMT
Surnames: KELLY
Here is an example:
New York, 1820-1850 Passenger and Immigration Lists

Original data: New York. Registers of Vessels Arriving at the Port of New York from Foreign Ports, 1789-1919. Micropublication M237, rolls:1-95. National Archives, Washington, D.C.

Categories:
Name/Arrival Date/Age/Gender/Port of Departure/Place of Origin/Name of Ship

-Rosanna Kelly Aug 18,1829 20 F Liverpool Ireland Ship: Sarah
-Rosanna Kelly Jul 12,1849 20 F Liverpool England St. George
-Rosanna Kelly Jul 9,1827 12 F Ireland Ship: Dublin Packet
-Rosanna Kelly Jul 9,1844 34 U Liverpool Great Britain New York
-Rosanna Kelly Nov 1,1849 40 F Liverpool Ireland St. George
-Rosanna Kelly Nov 1,1849 16 F Liverpool Ireland St. George
-Rosanna Kelly Sep 15,1835 20 F Belfast Great Britain Ship: Sarah

With some of these lists you are able to see the census images for verification. As with the Census data, you hope the indexing is done correctly or that the person who originally wrote down the information heard and spelled everything correctly.

Re: How to find ancestors on immigration records

Catherine Sherbine (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jul 2004 1:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kelly
Thank you for the information.

I looked at the list and the only one that could be a possible match is the Rosanna Kelly who came on the St George ship in July 1849. Rosanna was born Oct 1828 so she would have been 20 in July 1849. Also, the 1900 US census stated Rosanna immigrated in 1849. I have searched some passenger lists online but I was unable to find a ship called St George that arrived in July 1849. Do you have the passenger list handy? If you do, could you check to see if there was also a Mary Ann Kelly on the ship? Mary Ann was the first born child of Rosanna and mother and daughter immigrated together. Mary Ann would have been a baby or no more than 2 or 3 years old in July 1849.

Thanks for your help!

Re: How to find ancestors on immigration records / KELLY

Posted: 23 Jul 2004 4:01AM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Edited: 7 Aug 2006 2:25PM GMT
Surnames: KELLY
Unfortunately, I did not find a Mary Ann KELLY indexed with the ship and date as the same as Rosanna. I tried the KELLEY spelling as well. Also, ancestry did not have a scanned image available to look at in case the index is wrong if Mary Ann were left off the list.
Two places you could get that particular passenger list is at a Family History Center (should be FHL catalog #0175437 for that ship & date) or you can order the list through the National Archives. You want National Archives film #M237-81 and to request the "Ship Passenger Arrival Records (NATF 81) Form".
See:
http://www.archives.gov/research_room/genealogy/immigrant_ar...
&
http://www.archives.gov/research_room/genealogy/immigrant_ar...

Use this identification:
Name: Rosanna Kelly
Arrival Date: Jul 12, 1849
Port of Arrival: New York
Port of Departure: Liverpool
Place of Origin: England
Ship: St. George
Family Identification: 2725790
Microfilm Serial Number: M237
Microfilm Roll Number: 81

Sorry I couldn't help more.
Kathleen