Search for content in message boards

FTM2014 Startup Time?

FTM2014 Startup Time?

Posted: 25 Dec 2013 11:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
A quick question! When launching FTM2014, it takes "forever" to launch! Is there anything I can do to speed up the launching of the program? I'm running it on Win7 64bit and have 8GB of memory.

Thanks for any tips.
Charlie

Re: FTM2014 Startup Time?

Posted: 26 Dec 2013 2:14AM GMT
Define "Forever"?

What kind of internet access do you have?

FTM does log into Ancestry.com, and if you have a SLOW connection, then it will take a while.

Posted: 26 Dec 2013 11:30PM GMT
I am using Comcast.net - what is the best (and safest) way to test the Internet speed? I looked at a few, but they all want to download programs and/or toolbars to your computer to run - I do not want that. So, what would be the best way to determine the speed? Second, if I do not want FTM to automatically login to Ancestry.com, how do I turn that off and on just when I need it?
Thanks

Posted: 26 Dec 2013 11:39PM GMT
Charlie

In FTM 2014 go to Tools/Options. In the lower right corner you will see a box labeled Search. Make sure both options are turned off, no check marks. That is how I use FTM. If I want to search ancestry I use Web Search on the tool bar.

Curt

Posted: 26 Dec 2013 11:54PM GMT
WOW! That really decreased the startup time - thanks so much for the tip. One day, I hope I can help you with something to pay you back! Take care and happy holidays!

Posted: 17 Jun 2014 11:02PM GMT
Wow, I'm having a major problem with the Startup Time again. Today, it takes about 3 minutes for the program to start (no other programs on my system have this problem). I'm not sure what to look at - I turned off all Security programs to see if that affected it, no change. I do not have it signed in to the website (I sign in when needed) and I don't store anything online. Search items are not checked! What could be the problem here?

Thanks for any insights!
charlie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions