Search for content in message boards

Trenton, New Jersey Insane Asylum

Trenton, New Jersey Insane Asylum

Posted: 9 Nov 2009 2:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jameson, Chamberlain
I am looking for information on my great great grandmother. Her name was Fanny Jameson nee Chamberlain. By about 1940 she was in the insane asylum in Trenton, New Jersey and we think she died there. I am looking for a death date and the reason why she was in the asylum. Does anyone have any info on her or where I would find this information?
Thanks.

Re: Trenton, New Jersey Insane Asylum

Posted: 22 May 2010 5:35AM GMT
I have found relatives at the New Jersey State Hospital in Trenton in the US Federal Census. The patients are often listed as "servants". You often see these records, with many residents (all with different surnames at the same address) and think that it is very odd, but at the top it will say New Jersey State Hospital.

Posted: 24 May 2010 1:06AM GMT
I'll have to try that, thanks!

Posted: 24 May 2010 3:13AM GMT
The New Jersey State Archives has records from the Trenton Psychiatric Hospital. There are restrictions on what you can see.

Go to this website for more information.

http://www.njarchives.org/links/webcat/queries/seinst05.html

Curt Miller

Posted: 22 Jun 2010 4:41AM GMT
I think I just posted this in response to you on the Middlesex County board but I'll post here again for anyone who looks in Mercer County.

This is a story about State Sen. President Richard Codey's plan, under which relatives of deceased patients could contact the state Department of Human Services and get access to files that could lead to the burial places of their loved ones or ancestors....but you can only read the first part of the story for free as the rest has been archived and you have to pay to access it.
http://www.nj.com/gloucester/index.ssf?/base/news-13/1253429...

Also, I don't see anything legislatively about it.

Posted: 3 Oct 2010 3:49PM GMT
I follow your link but not much help to hard for the normal person . I looking for Jane E Cowan who as of 1930 was in this hospital , death unknown,
she not married. where do I write to see if they have a death date?
any help from any one I thank you

Posted: 3 Oct 2010 7:11PM GMT
Jane

I would call the New Jersey Archives and ask about the asylum records. Specifically, what do they have and how can you get records for Jane. I would be specifically interested in admission records and discharge/termination records. If termination was by death you may get the date of death. If she died before 1941 the archives should have the death certificate on microfilm but the archives staff is not allowed to search those years. You, or someone for you, would have to go to the archives. After 1940 you are dealing with the Department of Health. You would have to find out from them how to proceed but I think they require a date of death.

Curt
per page

Find a board about a specific topic