Search for content in message boards

St. Joseph's Cemetery, New Brighton

St. Joseph's Cemetery, New Brighton

Posted: 11 Apr 2005 8:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kunkle
Would anyone know how to contact St. Joseph's Catholic Church or St. Joseph's Cemetery in New Brighton about burial records?

Thanks,
Lila

Re: St. Joseph's Cemetery, New Brighton

Posted: 13 Apr 2005 10:53PM GMT
A few years ago, the Arch Diocese combined quite a few local churches. I'm not sure but I believe that St. Joseph's was closed at that time. I would try the Holy Family Church in NewBrighton because I know they are still open. Theyr Rectory address is 1851 Third Avenue New Brighton, PA 15066 and phone number is 724-847-3538. If St. Joseph's is still open they can certainly help you but I looked in the phone book and I can't find a church by that name now. I hope this helps.

Lila (View posts)
Posted: 13 Apr 2005 11:27PM GMT
Rachael,

Thanks. I found out today that Holy Family Catholic Parish maintains the cemetery but that the records for the cemetery were sent to Pittsburgh. The person I spoke to send that St. Joseph's records have been visited by 3 past fires before they were sent to Pittsburgh, so I'm hoping I get lucky with the Pittsburgh Diocese.

Thanks again for your help!!

Lila

Joe Eckhardt (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jul 2005 6:06PM GMT
Surnames: Eckhardt, Flaherty, White, Cochran, Laria
Not only were St. Joe's records visited by fires, but they often were not well kept. I'm told by an old funeral director that, at one point, the priest who should have kept the records kept them only in his head and didn't write them down.

I did have some luck with the Diocese of Pittsburgh and they are very cordial and don't mind looking things up, for a modest fee. Don't be surprised, though, if the church records vary quite a bit from the state death certificates. Different names, and dates, etc.

Lila (View posts)
Posted: 3 Aug 2005 12:49PM GMT
Joe,

Thanks for extra info Joe! None of the death and burial records I was looking for were found at the Pittsburgh Diocese and I found no standing tombstones for my family members at the cemetery either. The Diocese stated that many records were lost from St. Joe's from fires and the dates I was looking for would have been among them but they did look for me anyway. I wasn't surprised not to find tombstones due to the fact that these family members were unable to afford one. I had hoped I'd get lucky with the Diocese and I could put up tombstones if they knew where they were buried.

Lila
per page

Find a board about a specific topic