Search for content in message boards

John Howlett, watchmaker from Cheltenham (UK)

John Howlett, watchmaker from Cheltenham (UK)

Posted: 17 Jan 2011 11:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Howlett / Letheby / Hall
Sorry if this appears a little vague, but I'm trying to piece the movements of a line of my ancestors with the surname Howlett.

My Gt Gt Grandmother, Margaret Fanny Howlett appears on the 1861 census in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England and is living with her Grandparents (& Gt Grandfather).

Her place of birth is stated as St Louis, North America in all the census records up to & including 1901 (I haven't checked 1911 yet, coming to Ancestry soon).

Her marriage certificate states that her Father was John Howlett, occupation Watchmaker.

I have received an e-mail from another "cousin" today stating that the perceived wisdom is that Margaret's mother was Harriet Letheby. Margaret's Father died in America, and Margaret & her Brother William, moved back to England to live with their Grandparents.

Margaret's Mother then married Charles Hall (I guess in America) and they had a child before the marriage, which was known by the surname Howlett.

If you recognise anything in this rambling tale, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Thanks for your time,

Ian (Plymouth, Devon, UK)

Re: John Howlett, watchmaker from Cheltenham (UK)

Posted: 28 Jan 2011 1:16PM GMT
Name: Harriet Hannah Lythaby
Baptism/Christening Date: 11 Mar 1832
Baptism/Christening Place: St Augustine-the-Less, Bristol, Gloucester, England
Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Phillip Lythaby
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Harriet
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C01086-8
System Origin: England-ODM
Source Film Number: 1596311

marriage
Groom's Name: John Howlett
Groom's Birth Date:
Groom's Birthplace:
Groom's Age:
Bride's Name: Harriet Hannah Letheby
Bride's Birth Date: 1832
Bride's Birthplace:
Bride's Age: 18
Marriage Date: 30 Dec 1850
Marriage Place: Gloucester, Gloucester, England
Groom's Father's Name: John Howlett
Groom's Mother's Name:
Bride's Father's Name: Philip Letheby
Bride's Mother's Name:
Groom's Race:
Groom's Marital Status:
Groom's Previous Wife's Name:
Bride's Race:
Bride's Marital Status:
Bride's Previous Husband's Name:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I02955-8
System Origin: England-EASy
Source Film Number: 991285
Reference Number: p 46

I am not related

Regards,

Connie

Posted: 30 Jan 2011 7:40PM GMT
Thanks Connie,

I'm very humbled, you've committed all that time to this and you're not related.

Thank you very much for your effort, and for giving me something further to work on.

Kind Regards,

Ian

Posted: 24 Feb 2011 3:38PM GMT
Surnames: Howlett Lethaby
Hello Ian, at the library and picked up your enquiry on google-Harriet Lethaby later Howlett was my gt gt grandnother, she married Hall in cheltenham where I live.I have information about her but not on me. Should be glad to share it. My gt grandmother was the child she had in England, father unknown.

Posted: 24 Feb 2011 4:14PM GMT
Hi "Rogerbeacham" (o: (Roger?)

Fantastic to hear from you, Harriet would be my Gt Gt Gt Grandmother. I am in touch with 2 other people descended from "Margaret Fanny Howlett" (and therefore Harriet) but only recently so haven't managed to swap any pertinent details. Guess "one" of the reasons they all moved back was the start of the American civil war but I get the feeling there are plenty of other "skeletons in the wardrobe" so to speak.

Hope to converse with you again soon,

Ian

Posted: 25 Feb 2011 9:56AM GMT
Surnames: Howlett
Hi Ian, I am at the Library again without the Howlett details, which I should be pleased to share with you but not sure I want them all made public. Does this system allow us to exchange email addresses without them becoming public? Roger

Posted: 25 Feb 2011 2:37PM GMT
Hi Roger,

Have sent you a personal message.

Cheers,

Ian

Posted: 29 Mar 2011 3:22PM GMT
Surnames: Letheby/Howlett/Hall
Hello Ian,
My name is Paul Howlett. My Gt. Grandfather was John Howlett. He married Harriet Hannah Letheby in Gloucester in 1850. They went to St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.A. My Grandfather, William Edward Howlett, was born there in 1854 -and his Sister, Margaret Fanny Howlett, in 1856. They returned to England in 1857. John Howlett died that year. The children were brought up by the Letheby's (Harriet's parents) Margaret married William George Cook, in Cheltenham, in 1878. -Harriet re-married to Charles William Hall, in Cheltenham, in 1872.
I am using the computer of a friend, so it would be best if you would telephone me on 01225 315896 & leave a message & 'phone no. I could take you back on both the Howlett & Letheby sides, to the 18th. century. Please do contact me. Best wishes, Paul H.

Posted: 7 Sep 2012 6:31PM GMT
Surnames: Langson (Sherlock)
Hi I think we might be distantly related. Margaret Fanny Howlett who married George Cook was my great grandmother. Love to find out more about her and other family. 01275872267.

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 6:50PM GMT
Surnames: Howlett
Hi Ian
My great great grandfather is William Howlett. If you want to get in touch and compare trees then let me know. Paul who has emailed you is the expert but it is always nice to find another distant relative.
I have found some information in the 1911 census which you may be interested in. Email me if you want.
Kind regards
Isobel
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions