Search for content in message boards

Still cannot launch FTM 2014 in Windows 8 0 - still wish I had never bought it

Still cannot launch FTM 2014 in Windows 8 0 - still wish I had never bought it

Posted: 2 Jan 2014 7:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, I posted a message a week about the fact I wish I had never downloaded FTM 2014.

I was given some good advice here but to no avail. I have a brand new laptop less than six months old. bought with Windows 8 installed on it. Loads of RAM, hard disk space etc. I managed to initially install FTM 2014. It subsequently corrupted my major family tree file - and the backup - and now will not launch.

I followed advice posted here, and deleted files, reinstalled FTM 2014, turned off the virus check. None of this has worked. I have tried for hours.

I have requested an immediate refund from the third party downloader who Ancestry outsourced this to. I am so upset and disappointed. I know many of you have had no problems, but believe me, there is no excuse for a brand new product like FTM 2014 to do these things to my computer and fail to launch. I should not have to be an IT expert to understand how I might fix this either.

Ancestry, this message is for you. Please do more R&D on your products before you launch to market. I don't care how many people think this product works fine. It does not. It is a real shame, because I like your website, but I am now going to move to another program that will not destroy my research files like this one has.

I know this sounds emotional, but that is because this problem is emotional for me. Hours and hours of work. GONE.

Regards

Leigh

Re: Still cannot launch FTM 2014 in Windows 8 0 - still wish I had never bought it

Posted: 2 Jan 2014 8:48PM GMT
If you have not been able to load FTM2014, how has it destroyed any records / files? If you can't bring your old FT2012 file in FTM2012, something else is going on. You did elect to upgrade to FTM2014 a COPY of your FTM2012 file, didn't you?

I suggest you get the CD instead of download. It only takes a couple of days.

Re: Still cannot launch FTM 2014 in Windows 8 0 - still wish I had never bought it

Posted: 2 Jan 2014 10:58PM GMT
I did use copies, not originals, I was aware there could be a risk so I took precautions. I don't know why these files are corrupted and not working any longer, I am not an IT expert. The program worked initially and now it does not. I cannot explain it.

My FTM 2012 works fine and much older versions of the family tree that were created before I bought FTM 2014 are ok. Maybe the problem is that the syncing of the trees online, the "online" Ancestry tree thinks it is synced to the (now corrupted) FTM 2014 version so when I try to open the older files in FTM 2012, they will just not open. I have no idea.

But this is not the point at the end of the day. Why will the program not launch? It is brand new. Does not make any sense. The Microsoft compatability troubleshooter says the program itself is "incompatible". As I said, its practically a new laptop, bought specifically for Genealogy, FTM 2012 is literally the only program on the laptop besides Microsoft Office apps. The laptop has all the latest specs. There is no reason for this IT issue to have happened, nor can it be justified.

Would love it if Ancestry knew the answer!!! :-)

Posted: 2 Jan 2014 11:09PM GMT
Ok, any thoughts on this?

I just deleted and reinstalled the FTM 2014 program for about the tenth time. This time, I refused to download a required "patch" which apparently will affect the ability to sync my tree. The program will open now. Maybe my instinct about syncing trees - and connecting to the Ancestry server - was the issue? Like I said, no issues with FTM 2012 and syncing there.

You are all wise people - might this be the issue?

Posted: 3 Jan 2014 3:20AM GMT
While in your place I would be reluctant to install the patch, but the problem may have been with the original install of 2014. If the original install was incomplete the installation of the patch may not have been able to install, locking the program.

I think I would use the program with a lot of backups. If no problems develop in a couple of weeks (months depending on your usage of the program) I would attempt the patch again.

Again on copies of my most recent data files. Many years ago I heard someone say using a computer was like being a good Baptist. You must save, save, save. ;-) including copies of your backups.

Posted: 13 Jan 2014 4:22AM GMT
Thanks for the boost... I've been having the same problem w/ my Win8 desktop. FTM2014 worked FINE until ~2014. It then stopped being able to connect to /synch with my online profile, insisting that I put in the wrong login/pw. I tried to reinstall, and it insisted that I install a critical patch... one that would not install.

Once I cancelled out of that request, it launched with a warning that it would not synch. So this DOES appear to be an FTM issue. Looking forward to the fix...

Posted: 13 Jan 2014 8:04AM GMT
I have now given up on FTM 2014. While I was able to use the program - so long as I did not download the patch - I am frankly scared that the same thing will happen again in the future. I dont trust the program.

I have gone back to FTM 2012. Since I no longer had the patch downloaded, I was able to use a FTM 2012 back-up file that was pretty much close to the final one that had been corrupted by FTM 2014. I was able to re-build my family tree in FTM 2012 so am sticking with that. FTM 2012 has all the features I need.

I definitely agree with you seanrough, this is a problem with the software. My instinct is the defect in the program is to do with syncing and connecting to the Ancestry servers and the patch is not fixing it in every case. You and I are not the only ones who have experienced this issue so I know it is not my laptop that is causing the problem.

Good luck!

Posted: 13 Jan 2014 3:30PM GMT
There are too many of us here using all of the included patches to be a only a problem with the software.

I see that you have something installed or set that is preventing FTM to have run as needed.

What protection programs such as your AV, firewall, spam blockers and etc. are you running?
Also if you were to provide spec's of your machine it may also help?

The following is the spec's of this Windows 7 machine (I do have FTM on a Windows 8 machine) to help you see what is helpful.
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 7867 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -1792 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 953765 MB, Free - 865868 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., P8Q77-M
Antivirus: F-PROT Antivirus for Windows, Updated and Enabled

Posted: 14 Jan 2014 8:41AM GMT
Thanks David. This is a carry over from a previous thread. Brand new laptop installed with Windows 8. No other software - apart from FTM - installed on the laptop save for Microsoft products. Norton Anti-Virus. All the latest graphics card, lots of RAM (cannot remember the specs but there was loads of room when I checked this a few weeks back). Lots of free space on the hard drive. My GEDCOM files only had 750 people in them.

I know lots of people can use the 2014 program without issue; however, there are still signficant numbers of people who cant, and they are posting this fact in this forum. I have come across two people in this thread who experienced very similar problems to me with using the program and with syncing.

I dont believe that I should have to be some kind of computer expert to make the program work. I dont believe the problem is my computer, I believe the problem lies with the software, or the Ancestry servers. I know this does not sound "computer savvy", but I believe given my fact patter, the program should work without any issues whatsoever.

I am happy to go back to FTM 2012 and thankfully, I was able to rescue my research.

Posted: 14 Jan 2014 8:45AM GMT
I should add I downloaded the software, did not buy a CD, in response to an email I received from Ancestry advising me I could buy the software at a discount. So I downloaded it on a whim, wish I had not!

Maybe the download was the source of the corruption? Even so, does not change my opinion that this 2014 program is not one that I can recommend to anyone.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions