Search for content in message boards

William Bennett d. aabt. 1806 Barren County, KY

William Bennett d. aabt. 1806 Barren County, KY

Posted: 16 Mar 2012 1:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bennett
I am researching Wm Bennett, d. abt. 1806 in Barren County, KY. His land was given to his son, Stephen Bennett. A Wm Bennett purchased land in KY 1780 on the South Fork of the Elkhorn as did Stephen Bennett. In Wm Bennett's will he also mentions land on "Puncheon Creek" in Tennessee. My theory is that he may have traveled west from VA, NC,? This is all guesswork. However, in the "Annals of Southwest Virginia 1760-1800 there are four references to a Wm Bennett in Washington County VA. One is Wm Bennett, wounded Private in Wm Christian's Cherokee Expedition, Aug., 1776. Also a possible land deed between Campbell & Wm Bennett 1775, land on South Fork of the Holston. Other Bennetts mentioned are Isaac, John and Richard. Would anyone on this message board have a connection to this Bennett line or possible assistance in researching materials? Does anyone know if the Clerk's office in Washington County has deeds for 1775 time period? Thank you Sharon

Re: William Bennett d. aabt. 1806 Barren County, KY

Posted: 19 Mar 2012 5:08PM GMT
Sharon:
I am a Bennett Researcher also. My GG Grandfather was Andrew Bennett born in Kentucky in 1801, location currently unknown. Andrew Bennett lived in Jennings County, Indiana as early as 1820. I believe his father to be William Bennett based on some executor sales records after the death of William Bennett in Jennings County, Indiana in 1843. I believe William came with a brother John Bennett from Kentucky. I have found possible brother pair in Kentucky in the 1810 Kentucky Tax records. A William and a John appear in Barren, Mason and Madison Counties. But have no idea which it may be if any. I know Andrew Bennett's wife Catharine "Kitty" Osborn was born in Owen County in 1811, then Pendelton County. But have no Idea if the families know each other at that time. My William Bennett was born between 1770 and 1780 based on the 1820 Federal Census. If you have any information on this Bennett line please let me know. I can be contacted at the following addresses:
Regards,
Dale Bennett
1305 21st Ave SW
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52404
Email: dale3cr@mchsi.com

Posted: 19 Mar 2012 5:45PM GMT
Surnames: Bennett, Howarth
My GGGFa was William Bennett, born bef 1824 in KY, but specifics not known. He married Jane Howarth on 4 Mar 1855 in Gallia Co, OH. I know nothing about William's siblings or parents, other than the 1880 census indicates his mother and father were both born in VA. Perhaps he will fit somewhere in your line.

Posted: 9 Apr 2012 4:39PM GMT
I'm also a Bennett researcher. My stumbling block is James B. Bennett born around 1810 and living in the Breckinridge, Meade county area. His wife was Emily West. I haven't been able to discover a thing about James B. He died around 1847. If I uncover anything about the people you're looking for, I'll let you know.

Andrea

Posted: 10 Apr 2012 3:58AM GMT
Surnames: Bennett, Bennette
Has anyone in this message thread taken a Y-DNA test? That might set some things straight (or not). I'm looking for Thomas Bennett who appears in Grandview, Louisa Co, IA in the 1850 census and who purchased land in Iowa in 1846, married Phoebe Creswell in 1848, and died on the Oregon Trail in 1852. He stated in the census that he was born abt 1811 in England. It's a long shot, I admit, but I wonder if maybe he wasn't from England (perhaps an outlaw?). Thomas married a very religious girl from a very religious family, so it doesn't seem likely, but hey, I know so little about my 3rd GGF. I'm still hoping for a DNA link.
Greg

Posted: 23 Apr 2012 5:10PM GMT
Greg:

I don't know of about any of the names you mentioned, but I have just signed up with FamilyTreeDNA to join the Bennett Family project. I haven't received my kit yet but am looking forward to any possible connection that lets me move forward from where I have hit my brick wall with my Bennett's in Indiana.

Regards,

Dale Bennett
Email: dale3cr@mchsi.com

Posted: 23 Apr 2012 7:15PM GMT
Dale,

I look forward to your results, too. IF you and I match DNA, I'll be thrilled to find a relation I've not previously accounted for - as far as I know, I've accounted for ALL Thomas' descendants - but have no idea about his siblings...

Best wishes and please post back here when you get your results. I'm excited.

Greg Bennette
greg.bennette.org

Posted: 6 Jul 2012 3:57PM GMT
Will Book I, folio 43, Washington County, Va. An Inventory of Estate of John Lysle (Lyth) reads:
One note payable on first of October, 1779 from Doctr. Wm. Bennett said note contain ten head of cattle from the age of six months to that of twelve months. Also one mare worth 15 pounds, 15 shillings. To one note payable the 29th Day of December 1780 from Doctr. Wm. Bennett. The above note I have in my possession. April 9th 1782, John Reid, Exectr.
-------------
Lyth was an Anglican minister who was in Kentucky as early as 1775. I have not searched other records yet.

Posted: 6 Jul 2012 5:37PM GMT
Hi Greg:

I have just recently taken a YDNA 67 test with FamilyTreeDNA and have only matched with one person at 30 of 35 markers. His name it Ralph F. Bennett. He has (2) female cousins that got him to take the test. They are decended from a James Ellis Bennett. James died in Oregon from drowning while fishing in 1867. He came from Illinois on the Oregon Trail supposedly in the late 40's or early 50's. He was born in Indiana in 1834 I believe. I thought he might be one of the sons of my Andrew Bennett (GG Grandfather). However, I am not sure but he is definately related. Andrew Bennett also had a daughter Minvera Bennett who married an Almon Payne. They went west on the Orego Trail in 1852 from Hancock County, Illinois. I haven't come across a Thomas Bennett in my family line but my Andrew's Family came to western Illinois in 1846 the same time period as your Thomas Bennett came to Iowa. I have no knowledge of Andrew's brothers or sisters so he may have had family that came with him and continued west. Hancock County, Illinois borders Iowa on the Mississippi River. Just thought I would pass on this information, I don't know that any of it really fits with yours. Good luck in your search.
Dale Bennett
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
dale3cr@mchs.com
FamilyTreeDNA
Kit #238580

Posted: 6 Jul 2012 7:45PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jul 2012 7:45PM GMT
Dale,
I'd love to see your DNA results but I'm not a member of FamilyDNA. My DNA test was done by Ancestry.com (46 markers). Would you be willing to share your DNA results with me via private email? My results are at greg.bennette.org.
-Greg
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions