Search for content in message boards

looking for Ennis Family

looking for Ennis Family

Posted: 30 Sep 2012 1:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ennis, Peake
I'm looking for the relatives of Arthur J Ennis and his Wife Hilda (nee Peake) and their son Arthur G ennis whom emmigrated to Austrailia from England around 1920 -1925.

They were from Newcastle under Lyme in Staffordshire. Hilda was one of 10 children of my Great Grandfather John Peake.
He was the sation Master at Silverdale Railway

Re: looking for Ennis Family

Posted: 30 Sep 2012 2:13PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Ennis

Australian National Archives Service records - Arthur john's has been digitised so you can read. It says he died in 2/03/1950 and has his Widow living in NSW. They originally settled in Western Australia but Arthur and Hilda moved to NSW but son stayed in Western Australia. So WA would be a good place to seek out descendents.

ENNIS ARTHUR JOHN : Date of birth - 07 Feb 1893 : Place of birth - COUNTY DOWN IRELAND : Place of enlistment - FREMANTLE : Next of Kin - ENNIS HILDA
Access status: Open Location: Canberra 1939 - 1948

1939 - 1948 5590448
B884 W29456 ENNIS ARTHUR GRANVILLE : Service Number - W29456 : Date of birth - 08 Jun 1919 : Place of birth - STOKE ON TRENT ENGLAND : Place of enlistment - PERTH WA : Next of Kin - ENNIS A

Australia Death Index, 1787-1985
Arthur Granville ENNIS died 1978 Perth WA

New South Wales Death Reg #:3507/1950 ENNIS ARTHUR JOHN Father: ROBERT District: CONCORD

Cheers
Tania

Posted: 30 Sep 2012 9:08PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Hi JohnPeake23

On Findmypast it looks like in 1920 Hilda Ennis b abt 1895 and Arthur Ennis (son) b: abt: 1920 were travelling from London to Bombay India. Was her husband working there? As they didn't immigrate to Australia until 1922. Interesting immigration records has her son's first name as Martin??? maybe used instead of Arthur (not to confuse with his father)or could be a transcription error. It is strange I have searched electoral rolls for Arthur Granville Ennis but it doesn't appear. It you search Trove Newspapers there are possibly some articles about your Arthur Granville Ennis. Search using "Arthur Granville Ennis" and also "Arthur Grenville Ennis" If this is your family member then it appears he had a difficult life. I have tried searching for Hilda after Arthur John's death in 1950 but no luck - again not on Electoral rolls under Ennis perhaps she remarried.

Also found on Australian National Archives - Passenger Arrivlas 1921 -1949

Ship: NALDERA Departed: Bombay Arrived: Fremantle 10 Aug 1922

Mrs H ENNIS
Mr A J ENNIS
Mstr Martin A G ENNIS

Cheers
Tania

Posted: 20 Oct 2012 2:36PM GMT
Edited: 20 Oct 2012 6:12PM GMT
Hi Tania,

Thank you so much for your 2 replies, the information has helped.

Regarding Arthur John Ennis, I cannot find him the 1911 Census, and a relative of mine suggested he was in the Navy.
He may have worked his passage to Bombay and joined up with Hilda and his son there.

Thanks again

John

Posted: 28 Oct 2012 8:29AM GMT
This may help with your dates the following enties are shown on GRO-UK
Marriage Jun 1918
Ennis Arthur J Peake Chester-le-S 10a 935
Peake Hilda Ennis Chester le S 10a 935

Birth Sep 1919
Ennis Arthur G Peake Newcastle L 6b 69

Posted: 8 Dec 2012 10:02AM GMT
Hello John

I note with interest that John Peake Station Master Silverdale
was your Great Grandfather. I am trying to trace a living relative of his wife Sarah to return items which have recently come into my possession.

Perhaps you would like to contact me on lynn.griff3@ntlworld.com so that we can discuss the matter in more detail

Thanks
Lynn Stoke on Trent Staffordshire England.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions