Search for content in message boards

FTM2010 - Father added doesn't show up in tree view

FTM2010 - Father added doesn't show up in tree view

Posted: 7 Jan 2014 7:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rutt
Hi

I have an issue with my FTM2010 that i can't resolve.

I have a Nehemiah Rutt who married a Harriet Fowler.
Then his brother Hubert Rutt married Daisy Fowler.

Now the problem i have is that i did now know the name of the Rutt boys father until today. It is William Rutt.

I add William Rutt as a father to Hubert Rutt and then went and attached William Rutt as a father to Nehemiah Rutt.

When i view Hubert in the 'tree' view I can see William.
When I view Nehemiah in the 'tree' view, William doesn't show up.

Does anyone have any idea why?

I have checked in the people tab and the relationships all work. William is only entered once and not duplicated anywhere.

Im stumped as to why he shows up as father to the son i entered him for but not as the father I attached him to.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Lisa
Attachments:

Re: FTM2010 - Father added doesn't show up in tree view

Posted: 7 Jan 2014 7:57PM GMT
Check to see if William is checked as the "preferred" parent to both boys.

Posted: 7 Jan 2014 8:22PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jan 2014 8:38PM GMT
In looking at the two images that you posted with your original message, it appears that you have not properly attached Nehemiah. If you look at the the bar in the family view above Nehemiah, It says "Add Parents" If it were me I would look at adding William again to Nehemiah.

I have had the most success in situation like this by going to Person, Family for Nehemiah. Highlight Nehemiah, and from the Menu (File, Edit, View, ..................), Click Person and select "Attach/Detach Person" This will give you several combination of people to add to Nehemiah. Select Father and it will give you the index, Scroll down to William and highlight him and Click OK

If this does not correct the problem try the following
When you look at William in People, Family.

Does Hubert and Nehemiah show up as his children?

When you say 'tree' view" exactly where are you seeing this.
In People, Family in the top middle pane?

If you look you look at William in a report. ie Publish, Relationship Reports, Family Group Sheet.
Do you see both Hubert and Nehemiah

Posted: 7 Jan 2014 11:07PM GMT
Thanks all

I have done that and now William is attached to both Nehemiah and Hubert.
However, when i run a 'family group sheet' rep or only Nehemiah is showing up and none of the other children that should be associated with William Rutt.

Posted: 7 Jan 2014 11:37PM GMT
Lisa

You checked to see if William Rutt was entered twice. Did you check to see if Nehemiah was entered twice?

Curt

Posted: 7 Jan 2014 11:48PM GMT
Hi

I've only ever entered them the once as this is a brand new tree connection.
I've double checked since you've mentioned it and can confirm that they are only in the tree once.

For whatever reason, it is not displaying in the tree correctly.

Cheers
Lisa

Posted: 8 Jan 2014 1:54AM GMT
Edited: 8 Jan 2014 1:56AM GMT
Have you checked the relationship reports (People, Person, Relationship) for all three men.

If you have are they all correct?

From your previous post you said you had two people connected to WIllaim, but from your last post it sounded as if you had several. Do you have only two.

If more, does the relationship show the correct relationships for ALL of the people connected to WIlliam.

Posted: 10 Jan 2014 5:04PM GMT
Yes. I have checked all the relationships are correct and that they are preferred.
When i look at them in tree view the father does not show up.

Frankly this is becoming a real pain now.

I have two 'Brind' sisters that married two 'Hodgson' brothers from and am having the same issues.

I'm thinking of binning Family Tree Maker for Mac now as it doesn't seem to be able to cope.

I also can't upload the tree to Ancestry with all the media as it keeps failing after taking over an hour to process and It also crashes every 20 minutes or so…..

Posted: 10 Jan 2014 7:19PM GMT
These are only of other things I can offer:

One is to run an Data Error Report from Publish,Person Reports,
---Look for unattached person, or something similar.
---Make sure that William Rutt shows in the Window on the top of the right column ie The chart starts with William. and there are sufficient number of generations.

Set up a new chart, and DON"T use the Saved Setting, (I believe there is some way to delete individuals from the chart and that may be in the saved settings.

At the bottom of the Index on the People Person page, make sure that in someway you have not set up a filter that filters William. From reading this forum, I believe there is a way to filter individuals in a chart, but since I have never used that before I do not know how it is done.

Sorry I can not be of further help.

I know this does not help but there is an error some where in the FTM settings, but that's like saying the sun will raise tomorrow.

Posted: 11 Jan 2014 9:32PM GMT
I'm having this problem too, except with FTM2014. I realised that for me the problem was not having the preferred option selected. Unfortunately it seems like this is the case for many of the hundreds of unit families in my tree.

Is there any way to make the preferred parent apply across all the children of one person? At the moment I'm having to go through individual children to adjust their parent. It gets a bit of a pain in families of 7 or 8 children...

I'm fairly new to genealogy software by the way - this is my first time using it.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic