Search for content in message boards

How to tsf media files from FTM2009 please?

How to tsf media files from FTM2009 please?

Posted: 9 Jan 2014 9:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
When I export to a GEDCOM in FTM2009 the box to include media files is greyed out. The GEDCOM can be imported to Legacy software but the images are not there. I gave the images to the person with Legacy but even though she put them in the Media file for Legacy on her computer her Legacy program cannot find the images. It seems the links to the images is also missing from the GEDCOM I created.

Someone told me that the media files will go with the GEDCOM in FTM2014... is this correct? If so, is there any other way short of me having to upgrade to FTM2014?

Re: How to tsf media files from FTM2009 please?

Posted: 9 Jan 2014 9:52PM GMT
You asked: "Someone told me that the media files will go with the GEDCOM in FTM2014... is this correct?"

When you say "go with the GEDCOM" this can and will never happen. GEDCOM does not include any files, GEDCOM is just a series of "tags" or codes that tell the reading program what information about the person (Birth, Death, Children etc..) you wish to transfer. Included in the GEDCOM is a "tag" that tells the reading program where to look for the media files, this "tag" may be something like c:\\fmt\media\filename.jpg but it may not. it depends on how the GEDCOM creating program decides to built the path, then the receiving program must also be able to get at the file path, so if the GEDCOM is used to transfer data to another computer then the path is not available.

If FTM 2009 does not create the correct tag and your receiving program does not understand that tag you will also have issues.

The GEDCOM standard v5.5.1 says the tag should be FILE ..path.. but the v5.5 issue does not have a guideline. some programs write _FILE ..path.. others don't provide a full path just a "relative" path.

As you can see the "Someone told me that the media files will go with the GEDCOM in FTM2014... is this correct?" can be very misleading.

Posted: 9 Jan 2014 11:49PM GMT
Any reason not to give the person the entire FTM 2009 file and images and let Legacy import the original file?

Regards,

Posted: 10 Jan 2014 2:22PM GMT
If you go the route of giving the FTM files to the person, DON'T forget the media files folder with all of the media you have added to your tree.

In the directory where you main FTM file is stored you should include any folders or files with similar name,

Also if you have attached the media files and left them in their primary locations and not let FTM move them to the media folder, you must include them also

Posted: 13 Jan 2014 9:44PM GMT
Legacy can only open/import a GEDCOM file not a FTM file so unfortunately that is not an option.

Thanks for trying to help. :-)

Posted: 13 Jan 2014 10:29PM GMT
No version of FTM at all?

Regards,

Posted: 13 Jan 2014 10:43PM GMT
Unfortunately no. I've just upgraded to FTM 2014... exported to a GEDCOM. The Lecacy user imported the GEDCOM and the links to the media files were there okay as I gave her the median files separately. BUT in most cases the captions were missing from the images!

Posted: 14 Jan 2014 1:16AM GMT
"BUT in most cases the captions were missing from the images!"
Captions are not part of the GEDCOM spec.

Did the receiver restore the media in the correct folder for them to be found?

What version of Legacy is the receiver using?

Posted: 14 Jan 2014 3:28PM GMT
Yes, the receiver's Legacy (Legacy 8) found the images okay and some of them have captions. The images will a filename such as "023567890.jpg" or "Media 0152" came across with their respective captions such as "1901 Canada Census - George Martin" and "Will and Ethel Potter". But images with filenames like "William Potter 1926" that also has a caption in FTM "William Potter 1926" came across to Legacy 8 will no caption. I'm at a loss to explain why some do and others don't have a caption. When I go to a person's Media file in FTM the caption's are all there. When she goes to the same person in Legacy 8 only some captions are there.

Posted: 14 Jan 2014 4:03PM GMT
"only some captions are there"

But are the files there listed by file name?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions