Search for content in message boards

A Springer FAmily History: Some descendants of Dennis Springer and Ann Prickett, including family histories for Prickett, Gaddis, McIntire, Shepherd, Van Meter, Boyles, Bellatti, and Girton.

A Springer FAmily History: Some descendants of Dennis Springer and Ann Prickett, including family histories for Prickett, Gaddis, McIntire, Shepherd, Van Meter, Boyles, Bellatti, and Girton.

Posted: 29 Oct 2005 12:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bruce Poe Searcy Springer Prater/Prather Herrick Layfield
The first page discusses the ancient history of the Springer Family and their travels through Europe. It discusses the Moses C. Springer work but does not appear to source it.

The first page ends with "There is some question about our branch of Springers as being from Jacob Springer of the Swedish Ancestry. Our ancestor, Dennis Springer, b. 1712, and married to Ann Prickett, has been reported to be the son of Jacob Springer and Phoebe Hiobe by many Springer investigators. Most of these reports have been based on the Moses C. Springer's history which gives the origin of the family as being in Sweden. M.C. Springer, however, did not give any references for his information." This is the beginning of page two.

The second page goes on to discuss the findings of various researchers. It then discusses the findings of a geneaologist hired by the family. He was apparently able to verify that Christopher had the two sons Charles and Jacob and Stockholm is correct but Christopher's ancestry was unknown and the wives appear to be different than those in the Moses Account.

Page three discusses Col. Savage who was fairly certain that Dennis was really from Ireland.

Page four mentions that there has been no connection found between Dennis of Stockholm and Dennis of Ireland.Then it goes on to discuss other Dennis's and their spouses living in New London, Connetticutt and New Jersey.

The geneaologist made some observations about the systematic method of naming children which occurred in older families. She did not think there was any justification for considering Christopher an ancestor. This certified geneaologist then goes on to predict what the children would have been named.

*A personal note here - I use naming systems myself but they are not engraved in stone...as people migrated to the New World from the old - where they sometimes HAD to follow naming guidelines - they did drop or use some names less frequently. I do know that in my Springer family the tradition was the first and middle (at least one middle) names were grandparents.

Page five begns with this statement "There seems to be no question about the accuracy of the line of descent from Dennis Springer, 1736, to the present time although some of the records may not be complete. The connection between Dennis Springer, however, and Jacob Springer is in question. The above anaylsis may give some incentive for future study..... " "Until further study reveals the true father of Dennis Springer, b 1712, we will probably continue to consider Jacob Springer as the possible father.

References

Barbour Index to Connecticut Vital Records to 1850.

Historical Records of Brown County, Ohio (Family of Capt. Jacob Prickett and Dorothy Springer)

Maull, Baldwin, "Charles Springer's Family in Swedish History".

Moulton, Joy Wade, "Kids' names all in family"

New Haven Probate District., Estate of Dennis Springer, Groton, CT, 1704.

Rubincam, Milton, Esq., "The Springer Genealogy and Critical Review", Vol. 18:91-99, 1941.

Savage, Lt. Col. Mayo,, Savage-Springer Family Histories (available from DAR and LC) 1953

Springer, Moses C., A Genealogical Table and History of the Springer Family in Europe and North America, for eight centuries from earliest German Princes; origin of names, etc. 1881 (Scribner produced 2nd edition in 1917)

There is also a mention later in the book of a woman who went to Sweden for some length of time just to research this family line.

Chapter Two will have to be another Post.

Re: A Springer FAmily History: Some descendants of Dennis Springer and Ann Prickett, including family histories for Prickett, Gaddis, McIntire, Shepherd, Van Meter, Boyles, Bellatti, and Girton.

janet (View posts)
Posted: 29 Oct 2005 11:43AM GMT
Mose Springer work is a Hoax. He had rewrite his first book and make chances. But in 2nd book there are still mistakes. if you like read about the Hoax please go to webpage at http://www.geocities.com/janet_ariciu/

Click on Hoax

Janet

Re: A Springer FAmily History: Some descendants of Dennis Springer and Ann Prickett, including family histories for Prickett, Gaddis, McIntire, Shepherd, Van Meter, Boyles, Bellatti, and Girton.

Posted: 17 Dec 2005 3:35AM GMT
Surnames: SPRINGER and SPRINGER
Hi Susan,

Argh, I have two teenagers and a DH trying to get the computer away from me!

I'm rereading your posts of late. I have never read "Savage, Lt. Col. Mayo,, Savage-Springer Family Histories (available from DAR and LC) 1953" but will now try and get it via interlibrary loan. It seems indeed we can drop the other line of research. I doubt there is anything in Savage's work that anyone else in my line hasn't already gleaned but I'll check it out anyway. I could use some positive leads. At least I know enough to not waste my time reading the Moses book. Unless it's not all fiction?

There is that nagging in the back of my brain, what's left of it, that there must be some way of tracking the migration down the Atlantic states

Did the Dennis Springer/Ann Prickett line get 'daughtered out'? No direct sons left? It will be a shame if we can't connect them to ours or any group.

I hope you have a nice holiday season :)

Posted: 17 Dec 2005 3:53AM GMT
Surnames: SPRINGER and SPRINGER
HI Janet,

I'm rereading your info, too. On your Dennis Springer page, you make many references to the Delaware line. OK, assuming Dennis is brother to Ezekiel, or at the least, related to him, and also possibly related to Aaron, it is becoming necessary to find a male descendent who can DNA test. So far, none of the southern connected tests connect to anyone but the NJ area ones. It would be nice to be able to include or exclude your Dennis's line.

And yes there are many Dennises. And we now know they are not all related, but I sincerely doubt that any of them descend from Christopher Springer of Sweden.

I must sound cranky LOL. I just keep reading all the online misinformation and I can't help it.

I will keep trying to find a candidate from your line.

take care,

melissa

Posted: 16 Aug 2006 9:15PM GMT
Susan, I'm sorry, I am laughing over this one, who did she mean in her book by Dennis of Stockholm?? Someone none of us have heard about?

"Page four mentions that there has been no connection found between Dennis of Stockholm and Dennis of Ireland.Then it goes on to discuss other Dennis's and their spouses living in New London, Connetticutt and New Jersey."

I'm frantically trying to find what ever I can on Abibail and Dennis b.c1675, and my computer and/or ISP is giving me nothing but headaches today. At least one post I made to the list today has disappeared.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions