Search for content in message boards

McGee, Holden of Cherokee Descent

McGee, Holden of Cherokee Descent

Posted: 26 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Jun 2002 12:07AM GMT
Surnames: McGee, Mitchell, Barnett, Berry
Looking for my ggggfather, Holden McGee, married to Hallin McGee. I am trying to establish his cherokee heritage. Holden's cherokee indian name is Dorcus Wah-che-si. They had a son, Robert McGee married to Easter (nee Berry). Robert born 3/2/1812 and Easter born 5/1813. Robert and Easter had several children, Polly, Lucretia, William, Hannah, George, Andy, Nancy & Jesse McGee as noted in 1850 Oswley, Kentucky census. If you have any additional information, I'd really appreciate it.
Posted: 28 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jun 2002 12:07AM GMT
Surnames: McGee
My McGee's did live in Kentucky in the 1850s. Robert was born 3/2/1812 in Tenn. Robert had a child named Hannah. So, perhaps my McGee's are later descendants of yours. His father's name was Holden. Holden's father's name was William.

Holden McGee?

Posted: 28 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 14 Mar 2002 9:16PM GMT
Surnames: Gooch, Ferguson, Tyler, McGee
Hi Julie
There is a PA will of Mr. Little that mentions a Robert and Hannah McGee and their 2 sons, Samuel and Gilbert. I believe the McGee's were in VA or NJ and the will was back in the 1700's. I found in on Ancestry.com by entering
Robert McGee. To see the outline of the will you would have to be a subscriber. If any of this sounds familiar let me know. I am looking for a Robert McGee, Scots Irish, came to America from Ireland with 4 brothers around 1750. I think he is the father of my Samuel who went to Kentucky in c. 1780.
Marsha McGee Bowen

Samuel McGee

Posted: 31 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Hi R. D.,
My Samuel did have a son, James McGee, but don't know the middle initial. There was another Sam in KY at the time of mine so hope we have the same Sam. My Samuel was married to Martha (Patsy) Stafford and James, son of Sam, was born after 1781 KY, m. 1812 to Jane Eidson, and died shortly after. There was a long lasting dispute over his estate as he had no children and it was not customary for the wife to inherit the estate if no children were born. My McGee's migrated to Pike Co., MO after the death of Samuel in 1818 KY. Does this sound familiar? Sam is supposed to be related to the 5 brothers from Ireland who came to America around 1750. One brother, John, is very well documented...He married Mollie McCoun. Another brother was Robert, who my Sam is supposed to be the son of...all clues point to it but no positive proof as yet. Robert stayed in Montgomery Co. Va., supposedly, and Samuel must have followed his uncles into KY. He is always living near them.
Sound familiar to anyone? Please contact me as I thought I was the only person in the world researching Samuel!
Marsha McGee Bowen

Samuel McGee

R. D. McGee (View posts)
Posted: 31 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Marsha, I too have been looking for a Samuel Mc Gee in Ky. We believe he had a son, James C. Mcgee who is in direct line with our family. We have scant info. on him, don't know where he came from before he shows up in Ky./In.
Would be interested in hearing more, the time is about right I think, my wife is helping me with this research. So if it gets confusing as to who is talking, that's the problem.

Samuel McGee

Posted: 3 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 12 Jan 2002 5:21AM GMT
Surnames: McGee
Marsha, do you have any indication of the original McGee brothers locating in Tennessee before coming to Kentucky? I have a Samuel McGee b. 11/14/1873, Graves Co. KY, to George Henry McGee b. 6/30/1833, Christian Co. Ky. Census records indicate that George's parents were both born in TN. I believe that his parents were James McGee and Matilda Wallace but as yet can not prove this. It is a complicated situation as James had three sons, James Madison, Thomas James and GEORGE but with a different birthdate than my George. My George, James Madison and Thomas James all married Buckingham sisters. They all left Christian Co about the same time and all relocated to Graves Co and lived in the same area. Their lives are all intertwined so much is why I believe that my George was their brother but am still looking for the proof. Any light you might be able to shed on this will be greatly appreciated.
Diane

Samuel McGee

Posted: 7 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
I'm sorry but I am not aware one who went to TN but that doesn't mean one didn't. In fact, it is more probable than not that someone from the McGee family did. I don't know of any of Samuel's children that went there but Samuel had other family members in KY and VA. Try checking out the McGee's from the Carolina's who went into to Tn. Some ended up in GA & MO but I'm sure some went elsewhere or stayed in TN.
Marsha McGee Bowen

Samuel McGee

Posted: 8 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Diane,
Regarding your Samuel: 2nd response.
There is a posting "McGee: Revolutionary War Records" or something like that, posted on April 5 which has a link to the McGee Family Home page. Check that out for your line. Maybe? Maybe not? But try it out.
Marsha McGee Bowen

SAMUEL MCGEE

Posted: 30 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 21 Feb 2003 6:55AM GMT
Surnames: MCGEE, PARKINSON, BURRIER, VICTOR, CROWN
There is a Samuel McGee on a previous response on Dec. 2000.
Go to the site: http://www.cumberland.org/hfcpc/minister.McGeeW.htm

Above site was provided by another McGee researcher.

(PLEASE NOTE: this link does NOT work. - board manager, J. Locke)

Re: McGee, Holden of Cherokee Descent

Posted: 4 Apr 2002 1:27AM GMT
My gggggrandmother was Sarah "Sally" McGhee who was m. March 16, 1788 to Jacob Stover in Franklin Co., Va. Sur. was Holdin McGhee. I think Holden/Holdin McGhee was probably the father of Sarah, no documentation of proof.
Information that I have collected over the years include the following, some are from other researchers who were willing to share with me.
There were four McGhee men, thought to be brothers, Angus, Holden, Nelson and Martin of Franklin and Henry Cos., Va.
Holden owned land in Henry County in 1791, that part which became Patrick Co. the same year. He acted as Juror in Franklin Co in 1786 & 1788 was surety in 1788 for the above Sarah McGhee. It is thought by some that it was this Holden McGee who m. Sally Wyatt on 22 Oct. 1831 in Hawkins Co., Tn. The span of years........I don't think so, possibly a son, but I do not know who Holden's children were.
Angus Mcgeehee (McGhee) m. Oct. 22, 1818 in Henry Co., Va to Patsey Thornton, the dau/o Henry Thornton. Angus also acted as surety for the marriage of Sarah McGhee and Isaac Boyd, Dec. 16, 1826 in Franklin Co., Va.
Nelson McGhee, Sr. was b. abt. 1793. His marriage bond is dated April 4, 1814, he m. Martha Cooper. He m. second a Susannah Richards. He d. Feb. 5, 1850.
Martin McGhee b. late 1700's, d. June 7, 1851 at Snow Creek, Franklin Co., Va. He m Feb. 12, 1818 to Sarah Heard, dau/o Wm. and Nancy Heard.
As I said some of this is shared information over the years, I am still looking for Holden McGhee, where did he go after Franklin Co., Va. The only documented proof I have about Holden is the copy of Sarah's record of marriage to Jacob Stover.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions