Search for content in message boards

Another James Elias Smith, father of James Everett Smith Update!

Posted: 4 Nov 2010 8:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Smith, Lincoln, Carter

I have since found Augustus E Smith’s Civil War record and his widow’s pension application and believe that I conclusively say he is the father of James Elias Smith and that Augustus E Smith’s wife, Caroline M. Lincoln, is James Elias Smith’s mother.

More Information about James Elias Smith:
James Elias Smith was born January 25, 1875 (or 1874) in Drew County, Arkansas. I have several affadavits from friends of his parents that were present at his birth. He was the youngest child in his family out of two to four children, one or two of which died between 1870-1875.

According to the Little Rock, AR city directories, he was a pressman (I believe that means he worked with the presses as opposed to being a reporter) for the Arkansas Democrat from 1893-1898.

James E. Smith was married by 1918 according to his WWI draft registration card. His wife is listed as Bessie Smith.

In 1920, James Elias and Bess Smith had three children, J. E. Smith, Jr. (James Everett Smith), Clara N. (Clara Nell Smith), and Mabel Irene. All were under the age of 3. The children were all born in Arkansas.

He died at some point between 1925 and 1930, but I have no idea how he died, only that Bess was a widow by 1930.

More information about Caroline M Lincoln Smith and Augustus E Smith:
I have found her marriage application and she was married to August E Smith in St. Louis, Missouri in September 1865. She was born in Tennessee, Missouri, or Arkansas. He was from Cincinnati, OH, and a cabinetmaker by trade, but I am not sure if he was born in Ohio or moved there in young adulthood. I also do not know if he was married before his marriage to Caroline M Lincoln.

They moved to Drew County, Arkansas with one or two children in 1870 or 1871. She had one or two additional children, including James Elias Smith, and at least one, possibly two, of her children died between 1870 and 1874.
She moved to Little Rock shortly after her husband left her, sometime between 1875 and 1880 and lived there with her son, James Elias, and her daughter, Annie L (possible Annie Laurie).

Caroline M. Smith fought for several years to claim Augustus E Smith’s Civil War pension. The difficulty was that she could not prove he was dead. He left the family to look for work with his friend Charles Kennedy, also of Drew County, Arkansas, two weeks after his son, James Elias, was born in January 1875.

Augustus E Smith was a member of company E of the 41st regiment of the Missouri Volunteer Infantry. He served from 1864-1865 and was posted at the garrison in St. Louis. He was 38 years old in 1864/1865.

Caroline and James Elias lived in the 800 block of Victory in Little Rock. By 1900, she was living with her daughter, Annie L, and Annie’s family, Thomas and Walter Davis, also in Pulaski County, Arkansas. I believe, from a tombstone I have found in Arkanasas, that she died in 1905.

I would appreciate any help anyone could give me about the
Smith/Carter families, or Caroline M Lincoln’s family.

Regards,

Jamie E Smith

Cross-posted on Smith, Drew County, Miller County, St. Louis County, Lincoln, Pulaski County, Arkansas Family History Association (AFHA), and Arkansas Genealogical Society (AGS) boards.

Re: Another James Elias Smith, father of James Everett Smith Update!

Posted: 5 Nov 2010 12:17AM GMT
James E. Smith, born 1/25/1875, Baxter,Drew Co.,Ark-died 11/5/1927, @ "Pressman's Home",Hawkins TN) & is buried in Little Rock, Arkansas. (Ancestry, TN death records)

Posted: 5 Nov 2010 12:20AM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Lincoln, Carter
Oh my goodness! So quick a response! That's amazing :-)

Can you send me the URL of that record? I'm looking through ancestry's TN death records as I write this..

Jamie

Posted: 5 Nov 2010 12:34AM GMT
Actually, I found it in FamilySearch.org "Beta".

Posted: 5 Nov 2010 12:39AM GMT
Thank you so much!

A very timely find indeed.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions