Search for content in message boards

Joseph PHARR (FARR)

Joseph PHARR (FARR)

Betty Fair (View posts)
Posted: 20 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: PHARR, FARR, FAIR, PHAIR
Dear Pharr, Farr, Fair, Phair descendants,

Searching for information on my G-G-Grandfather, JOSEPH W. PHARR (FARR). Probably born in NORTH CAROLINA between 1795 and 1805.

JOSEPH W. PHARR married "Tempy" ESTEP in Carter County, TENNESSEE on August 13, 1840 (Possibly a second marriage for Joseph). At the time of marriage, Tempy had a 2-year old daughter, Jane Estep. Children of Joseph PHARR were: Mary (c. 1842), Emiline Nancy (c. 1844), Elizabeth (c.1845), David W. (c. 1847), Jackson Carriger PHARR (c. 1849) and Louisa E. (c. 1853). All children of Joseph W. Pharr and his wife Tempy, were born in Carter County, Tennessee.

Was JOSEPH Previously Married (perhaps in North Carolina)? If so, to whom? Were there Children from a first marriage? Who are the PARENTS of Joseph W. Pharr? I've located information on several "Joseph Pharr"s, but none seem to fit the time frame and geography of my G-G-Grandfather.

My G-Grandfather was Jackson Carriger PHARR. Jackson Pharr married Ellen Fletcher White on May 3, 1868 in Carter County, TN. I have extensive information from this point forward, which I would be very happy to share.

Interestingly, in Jackson's generation the family changed the surname spelling from PHARR to FAIR.

ANY INFORMATION on JOSEPH W. PHARR (and his ancestors) prior to 1840 would be greatly appreciated!

fair

m. fair vance (View posts)
Posted: 13 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: joseph fair, fair

your joseph might be related to the joseph fair that came from antrim, ireland to penn. in 1774. the name changes occur in the same family . william his brother came in 1772. joseph & william went south. or you could be related to the three fairs that came into south carolina about the same time along with a rev. harison 7 his daughter abigail. one of the fairs married abigail. i haven't researched any of the southern fairs. my fairs also came from antrim, ireland to penn. & lived there until about 1821. there were
five brothers henry, hiram, isaac, harold, elisha. some went south to ky, tn, ga, fla. some went west to ind. & ohio
i'm still looking for when my family arrived in america.
we could be related. i came across your query earlier & wasn't able to reply. i'm glad i found you again. i hope this helps.

Posted: 30 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 12 Feb 2003 7:11PM GMT
Surnames: Fair
I've been trying to research Fairs from northeast Ohio (Toledo, Pemberville etc.) I know that my great-great grandfather was Isaac Fair and his father was Asa Fair. Any relation that you know of?

Fair family of OH

Posted: 12 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 2:38AM GMT
Surnames: Fair, Fahr, Delong
Saw your post. I have an Abraham Fahr or Fair that was born In Germany and was married to Christiana DeLong inButler Co., OH in 1835....ring any bells?

Re: Joseph PHARR (FARR)

Posted: 1 Aug 2002 9:29PM GMT
Surnames: Gourley, Gurley, Pharr, Fair
I might have a first marriage for your Joseph. I am researching a family with the head of Household as Rosannah Pharr in the 1850 Carter Co. Census. Rosannah was born around 1805 in North Carolina and married in 1821. Her youngest daughter was born abt 1835. This might explain why she is alone with children. Or, I could be wrong and her husband could have died.

One of her daughters married Thomas H. Gourley in 1851 Carter Co. TN

Pam Fair (View posts)
Posted: 22 Dec 2003 6:37AM GMT
I am also a descendant of Joseph through Jackson then James Darby. Also looking for Joseph's parents. Census has him born in NC, so am searching for options there. I have been told he has a brother Sherrod and two others. On Ellen Fletcher, I have middle initial W-- was her middle name White? I have her as daughter of Lawson Fletcher and Elizabeth Hathaway. Will let you know if I find any info- please let me know if you have luck-- Pam Fair

Pam Fair (View posts)
Posted: 22 Dec 2003 6:48AM GMT
P.S. Betty, have you ever seen a picture of Jackson or found out much about him? I have asked his 2 remaining grandchildren on my family line (ages 89 and 90) about him. I still know little, except that he worked in the woods and had a bad ax injury to his foot that caused him problems much of his life. I have also been told his line is part Cherokee, but have not seen anything that proves that. Would be interested in any insight you have. I have Ellen's family line but don't know much of what she was like either. Thanks.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions