Search for content in message boards

Do you know my Catherine van Sickle/Syckle

Do you know my Catherine van Sickle/Syckle

Posted: 27 Dec 2011 2:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
My ggg grandmother was Catherine van Syckle. Married John Angleman(b. 1797 d. 1871 in NJ) about 1822 in Somerset County, NJ. They had 9 children

Re: Do you know my Catherine van Sickle/Syckle

Posted: 29 Dec 2011 2:53PM GMT
I see from some early posts that you believed Catherine's maiden name was BIRGE. Were you able to locate a source that lists her as VAN SICKLE? I'd love to be able to help you out, but I'm afraid I am stuck as well.

Jeannie

Posted: 29 Dec 2011 8:26PM GMT
According to my grandfather's notes, she was Katherine Ann Birge. I could not find anyone with that name anywhere. A few years ago, a distant cousin (who has a copy of John Angleman's will) told me that John Angleman's 1st wife was, in fact, Catherine van Syckle.

My gg grandfather, Abraham, has both van Sickle & Suydam as his middle names. It makes so much more sense, to me, that his mother was van Syckle.

I've been researching my Angleman family on and off for at least 10 years. I thought it was going to be so much easier to find them, as my grandfather had a lot of handwritten notes/research. But, it has not been very easy at all. It has been fun, though.

I just recently came across your blog & enjoyed it very much!

Posted: 30 Dec 2011 2:51PM GMT
I have been researching the Van Sickle family for so long now, yet I am never surprised when I find another member. Since the Angleman family had lived for some time in Middlesex County, Catherine may be connected to other Van Sickles in the area. I'll see if I can dig up anything.

I'm glad you enjoyed my blog. Thank you! :)

Posted: 30 Dec 2011 7:32PM GMT
Well, thank you very much!

It makes me crazy that until 1850, no one was required to write down the names of all people in a household, in a census. I have another grandmother, on my father's side, with the same situation...died just prior to the 1850 census and with a common name, so that it is difficult to track her down.

Also, now that I have more time on my hands, without kids at home, I no longer live in New Jersey. When I did live there, I just didn't have time to look things up. Such is life, right? ;)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic