Search for content in message boards

Thomas Malcolm - Missing

Thomas Malcolm - Missing

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 8:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am searching for the death of my g. grandfather Thomas Malcolm b. Muiravonside Scotland in 1849, son of Thomas Malcolm and Margaret Aitken. The family came to Australia in 1852 and settled in Daylesford Victoria.

Thomas married Elizabeth Cugley at Daylesford in 1875 and some time after the birth of their last child in 1885, Thomas, together with his father Thomas and his brother James left Daylesford and came to NSW.

Thomas, the father died at the liverpool Asylum in 1911 and on his death certificate it states that both Thomas and James were still living. Prior to being admitted to the asylum, suffering from dementia, Thomas the father was living at Kiama.

James died at Mareeba Qld in 1920

I cannot find a death for Thomas. The Qld death in 1947 is not my g. grandfather nor is the death in Vic 1971 of a Thomas Aitken Malcolm any connection.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Elizabeth

Re: Thomas Malcolm - Missing

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 8:24PM GMT
Hi Elizabeth,
Who supplied the info on Thomas snr's death cert and how correct is it?
(are all the children listed,, is wife listed and named correctly etc)

Is Thomas mentioned on his wifes death cert or any of his childrens marriage certs?

What info on the 1947 death makes you sure it isn't your Thomas?

Kellie

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 10:53PM GMT
Hi Kelly, thanks for your response.

Info on Thomas Snrs. D/C was provided by an employee of the Liverpool Asylum - I assume from details provided on his admission - unfortunately these records no longer exist. Age on D/C, Jun 1911, was given as 83 - Thomas was born Nov 1827, so age is correct. Wife is given as Margaret Aitken, also correct and the only children listed are Thomas and James Malcolm, the two he left Daylesford with.

Thomas Jnrs wife remarried. Her death certificate gives both husbands and lists all children from both marriages. I only have the M/C for my grandfather - he correctly gives his parents as Thomas Malcolm and Elizabeth Cugley.

The info on the 1947 D/C - the age is wrong, the place of birth is wrong and the certificate states this Thomas had been in Qld for 36 years. I found his arrival details - together with wife and 4 children - in Brisbane in 1911 ex "Torilla". Informant was his son, Thomas Wishart Malcolm.

Cheers, Elizabeth

Posted: 5 Dec 2012 12:03AM GMT
Hi Elizabeth,
You are leaving alot of valuable/helpful information out of your post..
Thomas's wife remarried in 1890 and was having children by 1891.
Her obit in 1929 also says he was deceased...

Have you found a divorce for them?
What does her second marriage cert state as in regards to her 'condition' ??

Kellie

Posted: 5 Dec 2012 9:25PM GMT
Hi Kellie,

When Elizabeth Malcolm nee Cugley married Otto Koeller she stated she was a widow, her husband having died in April 1888. There is no record that I can find for a death of Thomas Malcolm around this time period.

It must be taken into consideration that Elizabeth, at the time of her marriage to Otto, was living with her widowed mother. Elizabeth was a mother with four young children and no means of support and so a second marriage was a preferable option to her. It was probable that she had no idea where Thomas was and so claiming that he was dead was expedient when she wished to marry Otto.

I believe the last trace I can find for Thomas was the 1901 Electoral Roll where he was living at Mountain Run, Macquarie subdivision. There was also a James Malcolm at the same place. This was gold mining country and both Thomas and James were gold miners in Daylesford and James died at Mareeba from miners Phthisis.

As Thomas Snrs D/C states that both Thomas and James were still living in 1911, I am willing to accept this. James was certainly alive so it is not unreasonable to also acccept that Thomas was also alive.

Cheers, Elizabeth

Posted: 25 Jul 2013 11:29AM GMT
Hello Elizabeth
I am just starting out on this family from the present day. Since beginning last night I have been able to find the connection to the Malcolm family their daughter Lydia Jane who married Henry Murphy. On another site I found a death for your Thomas in 1911 but as yet don't know where. If you are still out there I would love to hear from you.
Olive

Posted: 26 Jul 2013 1:08AM GMT
Hi Olive, great to hear from you.

This post about my missing great grandfather is beginning to take on the proportions of War & Peace!

Where do you fit into the Malcolm family? I have a great deal of information and photos, if you are interested. It maybe easier and quicker of you contact me direct at
UQuinel@bigpond.com

Look forward to hearing from you,

Cheers, Elizabeth

Posted: 1 Aug 2013 9:31AM GMT
Hi Elizabeth

I spend many hours using trove searching for info on our joint relations the cugley family I came across the 2 articles below which could relate to Thomas Malcolm ( as I have found many newspaper typos in my searches for history ) basically the articles below explain a man with the surname Malcolm saving a boy in a mine shaft in the Daylesford area, then to drop dead the next year from affects of the Rescue.
happy hunting -Dennis Daly
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

DAYLESFORD, November 28. the argus 1885
A fatal accident occuirod at 8 o'clock this, morning!» Kidd'a Gully, by which a young man named Witter lost his life. Ho went down the shaft of tho North Floienco company, which is 120ft. deep, mid which has not been worked for a considerable time, toFix this text get up some buckets left below. Hodc ccnilcd by a liiilder;'nnd not returning Ins mato got alarmed, and went down to within 20ft. of tho bottom, but found the air so:bad that ho waa obliged to roturo.'1 A'firo waa lowered down the abaft, and several other measures wore taken to oxpcl ' the foul air, I but unsuccessfully. Several persona at-
tempted to iccovcr tho body dining the day, but could not face the foul air, and it was not until 3 o'clock this afternoon that a¡ minor named Malcolm succeeded in reaching
the body and attaching a rope, ky which ffc» was brought up the shaft. Malcolm 'wasj
nearly Hiiliocatcd, and was miito exhausted i on reaching the surface, ' The deceased, who' was highly respected, was only 20 years of j ne°- i ,, > i I
the argus 27/5/1886
, May 21.
A very 'sudden death occurred hero yos terday. A miner named John Malcolm, a vory old resident of. tho district, dropped dead this morning while ciossing a paddock on the road to his claim. . Somo months ago, a young man named Caddy went down an abandoned shaft in Kiild'a Gully, and wasFix this text
suffocated by tho carbonic acid gas which
had accumulated in tho workings, A great deal of difficulty was'cncOuntorcd in getting the body f';'to' the i surface,' which was eventually effected by Malcolm, who had to remain below for some time. Ho has com-
plained, several times lately, that bo , had never recovered fioni tho effects" of tho foul air ho then inhaled. Ho was, however, in excellent spirits this morning, and par- took vory heartily of breakfast beforo start- ing to work,"but beforo going far dropped down dead. Malcolm was about GO ycais of ago " c o . , " .

Posted: 2 Aug 2013 5:23AM GMT
Hi Dennis, thank you for going to the trouble of trying to find my missing great grandfather. Unfortunately the valiant John Malcolm has no connection to my Malcolm family.

I have been able to trace my Thomas Malcolm and his brother James to "Mountain Run" which was an area around the Bathurst area - a gold mining area. They appear on the 1901 Electoral Roll as living there. Further I have found references to them through Trove, in the same area. After that nothing. As you know from reading the treads, James later died at Mareeba Qld. My feeling is that Thomas may have perished in a mining accident, the body never being recovered, but who knows.

I am interested in your connection to the Cugley family. I recently completed stories of Thomas and Catherine Cugley for a film company in Perth - they produce "Who Do You Think You Are". I would be only too pleased to let you have these documents, if you would like to contact me at
UQuinel@bigpond.com.

Cheers, Elizabeth
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions