Search for content in message boards

lepine

Posted: 24 Feb 2012 2:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am researching my husband/son's family history. My husbands grandfather was Alexandre Lepine, born appx 1877 (believed to be born in Begium). I have found the record of Alexandre's marriage to Marie Catherine "Gustavine" Garot . They left the Crowley area & moved to Arkansas with the Garot's between 1900 to 1905 . I am searching for Mr Alexandre's history. I believe he possibly had a sister named Charlotte & brother named Victor. Also, family story is that Alexandre's father had somehow upset the church which led the family to bury him at night. Any help will be great. Thanks

Re: lepine

Posted: 5 May 2012 9:03PM GMT
Hi,

I found Alexandre Lepine on the 1910 and 1920 census records in Arkansas. The daughter Mart was born ca 1904 in LA and Nellie was born ca 1909 in Arkansas. The family would have moved to Arkansas after 1904 and before 1909. It is strange that I don't find a 1900 census for the family. I would think that Victor and Charlotte were the siblings of Alexandre and therefore, Emile Lepine [bn ca 1850 in Belgium] would have been his father. The two census records that I found in Arkansas both have Belgium as Alexandre's birth country. Did you find a death record for Alexandre in Arkansas? Perhaps you may want to get copies of the death certificates for Victor and Emile Lepine. A town of birth in Belgium may be noted.

Victor Lepine died 8/28/1949 @76 [Acadia Parish vol. 10, page 391].
Emile Lepine died 12/30/1925 @75 [Acadia Parish vol. 36, page 15176].
These documents may be obtained at the Louisiana State Archives in Baton Rouge for $5.00 each.

On the 1920 census, Emile Lepine is shown as entering the country in 1886.

Leon Garot, Therese Garot and their daughter, Malina, are shown as having entered the country in 1884. The son, Joseph, appears to have come the following year.

I hope this helps with your research.

Cheryl

Posted: 5 May 2012 9:25PM GMT
Hi,

I just made an amazing discovery! I went to the rootsweb site and typed in Emile Lepine. I found Emile Joseph Lepine born 9/11/1850. That is the correct year of birth and I feel sure that this is the correct person. He has three siblings, Victor [bn 1839], Charlotte [bn 1843] and Jean Baptiste Augustin. I feel sure that the Emile who came to LA named his kids after his deceased siblings. Jean Baptiste died in Belgium after Emile died here in 1925.

This Emile Joseph Lepine was born at Familleureux, Hainaut, Wallonnie, Belgium. His parents are Augustin Joseph Lepine and Victoire Linard. There is more info on them and a few more generations on the Linard line.

Go to the site and check it out! There is an e-mail address for the submitter and I'm pretty sure that he is in Belgium!

Hope you find your husband's relatives in Belgium!

Happy hunting!

Cheryl

Posted: 5 May 2012 10:38PM GMT
Thank you SOOO much!! :)
Posted: 5 May 2012 10:38PM GMT
Thank you SOOO much!! :)
Posted: 5 May 2012 11:11PM GMT
Thank you... the 1890 census for louisiana apparently burned in a fire... I believe Alexander's mother to be Josephine Denuit (1851 -1899), immigrated to Louisiana with the family (found the ship manifest) but she died before the 1900 census ... I haven't been able to find any info on her at all ... I guess she was from Belgium too but I haven't been successful... maybe the last name is mispelled?? what's really strange is that I can't find her death record or burial site.. I found their daughter Charlott in a family Crypt in Rayne Louisiana.. no death/burial information on the father Emile either.. but according to famly stories, Emile was outcast from the church & had to buried at night.. I think he left the catholic church or something like that. In Charlotte's crypt, there apears to be an unmarked tomb on top, which makes sense except for where is his wife Josephine?? very puzzling... thanks for your help .. I added the tomb pics to Charlotte if you are interested.

Posted: 6 May 2012 5:35PM GMT
Hi,

It is great that you found the passenger list. What were the names listed? Were there the parents and three children? Also, if you have not found a death or burial record for the mother, how do you come up with 1851-1899 as well as the surname of Denuit? I found a Josephine Denuit on the Mormon site. She was born 6-12-1849 in Glabais, Brabant, Belgium. Her parents were Dominique Joseph Denuit [3-25-1813, Glabais] and Marie Therese Decamp [1-14-1811, Glabais]. If Alexandre's mother was Josephine Denuit, then this person is likely her. Her six siblings are listed also.

You mentioned not finding a death record for Josephine. Deaths in LA were not officially recorded until about 1911 [I think]. So, the only record would be a burial record. Did you consider that the family lived elsewhere before going to Rayne. Did they come to the port of New Orleans? If so, she may have died in the city before the family made its way out to other parts. I didn't find her in the NO records, but it may be that she died there but it was not reported.

I found Charlotte's tombstone at "Find A Grave" as well as that of Victor. Now that you know that Emile died in 1925, will you be able to check the burial records at the church? That is an interesting story about him being buried at night!

This is interesting research!

Do the Lepine's speak French?

Cheryl

Posted: 6 May 2012 6:22PM GMT
Surnames: LEPINE
Do you have Emile's succession #1527 from the Acadia Parish Courthouse? It may confirm the deceased wife's maiden name plus his date of death.

Posted: 6 May 2012 7:18PM GMT
Hi,

Did you see Anna Hayes' post about Emile's succession record? I looked at the Acadia Parish index and found that it was opened on 1/24/1926 less than a month after his death. It is succession #1527. While I was at it, I looked for a succession for Leon Garot and found it. It was opened on 12/10/1912, #881. These documents should provide you with good information. You might learn something about Emile's wife on his succession document.

I checked google maps and found that Familleureux, Belgium is about 16 miles from Glabais, Belgium. Both are located south of Brussels...Glabais is closer at 23 miles.

Cheryl
Posted: 6 May 2012 9:01PM GMT
Yes, my husbands father is the first generation that does not... my husbands grandparents were the first generation that were really totally fluent in English, but they spoke french at home & learned english in the US school system.
My father-in-law said that a distant cousin gave him the name of what would have been his great grandmother... on the 1900 census, Emile was listed as a widow. The family did enter the port at New Orleans & I'm not sure how long till they entered the Rayne area. Mother & father & the 3 kids were on the ship manifest. I'm assumng there is no burial record of Emile ... I have searched & searched, but I wouldn't know what church to start with ... I was actually surprised Charlotte & Victor were at the catholic cemetery, I actually thought Emile left the Catholic church & joined another Christian/ protestant religion & thats why he was outcast..
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions