Search for content in message boards

Mason Turner Cemetery

Mason Turner Cemetery

Posted: 8 Jun 2009 9:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Help, I'm looking for my wife's ggGrandfather John Alexander Paris, who died in Atlanta in 1862 and who was reported to be buried in Mason's Chapel cemetery. We think that this is the same as Mason Turner cemetery that was located at the corner of Bankhead Highway (US 78) and Hightower Rd. The old Mayson's chapel Church was located near there, somewhere around the intersection of I-285 and Bankhead Highway according to what info I can find. What happened to the Mason-Turner cemetery? There is certainly no cemetery I can find at the corner of 78 and Hightower. We feel sure we are in the right area as Mr. Paris' son and his family are buried nearby at Hollywood Cemetery. Does anyone know if they moved the graves from Mason-Turner somewhere else? If so where?

Re: Mason Turner Cemetery

Posted: 9 Jun 2009 1:18AM GMT
Check at a site that is listing cemeteries and nothing.
Did however run across this information.

For info: Oakland Cemetery at 240 Oakland Ave SE

Not sure if that will help you. Hope it gets you a good lead.

Posted: 9 Jun 2009 1:56AM GMT
Thanks,, we'll try to go by Oakland and see if they know anything.

Posted: 9 Jun 2009 11:54AM GMT
Surnames: Paris
Check out the resources of the Franklin Garrett Necrology files at the Atlanta History Center:

http://garrett.atlantahistorycenter.com/

Posted: 23 Jun 2009 11:34AM GMT
I went there last night. My family is also buried there. It is located on Hwy 78 between Fulton Industrial and Bolton Road. It is on the Hwy 78 side of English Park. I think I saw headstones with the Paris name. Most of the headstones have been vandalized. Bring a crowbar and some help to put the stones back up. It is fairly clear right now as if someone has been cleaning it up. Bring mosquito repellant though. They are very bad. Post

Posted: 28 Aug 2009 3:11PM GMT
my grandparents are buirred there, the cemetary is still there.

Posted: 31 Aug 2010 10:14AM GMT
THE CEMATARY IS THERE IT HAS BEEN SOME TIME SINCE I HAVE BEEN THERE I NEED TO GO BACK MY GRANDFATHER IS RESTING THERE
TAMMY FRANK 404-552-0959

Posted: 2 Sep 2010 11:39AM GMT
The cemetery is definitely still there (I drive by it every day). It's on Donald Hollowell Parkway (the old Bankhead Highway) at the intersection of Bolton Road (adjoining English Park).

There is a group which cleans it up from time to time, plus the College Park branch of the North Georgia Conference of the United Methodist Church technically owns it, so they send a cleanup crew out about once a year.

Posted: 2 Sep 2010 11:41AM GMT
I didn't see your note. There is actually an organized group of family members who do regular cleanups. Unfortunately I no longer have their contact info.

Posted: 2 Sep 2010 11:46AM GMT
It was indeed Mayson Chapel, which was a small Methodist Church (a wall which adjoined the foundation is still there).

You've been looking at the wrong intersection. It's at Bankhead (Hollowell) and Bolton, right next to English Park.

The Mayson family and the Turner family ran a ferry across the Chattahoochee about a mile west of the cemetery. The Turner family also had a cemetery on the west side of the River near Oakdale Road which as hard to see from the road.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions