Search for content in message boards

Etheridge/Ethridge, Stewart, Gentry, Halley, Thurman

Etheridge/Ethridge, Stewart, Gentry, Halley, Thurman

Posted: 6 Aug 2011 11:40PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Etheridge/Ethridge, Stewart, Gentry, Halley, Thurman
My grandfather John Albert Etheridge/Ethridge married Mary Alice Stewart sometime between 1912 and 1916. Mary Alice Stewart was the daughter of Elizabeth L. Gentry (whose father was William J. Gentry).

My father, Vance Deville Ethridge, used to travel to LA to visit relatives. Since I never knew him, I can only surmise he was going there to visit his Gentry and Halley families there.

Can someone please see if there is a marriage for John Albert Etheridge/Ethridge and Mary Alice Stewart in Richland Parish? Thanks.

Any other information about the families would be deeply appreciated.

Re: Etheridge/Ethridge, Stewart, Gentry, Halley, Thurman

Posted: 7 Aug 2011 3:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Halley
Hello -- I do not have any specific information on the Etheridge Family or on the marriage, but I noticed your post and do have some notes on the families in general.

John Albert Etheridge is buried in Wynn Cemetery, which is essentially in the Start Community, where I grew up. The Cemetery is one of the oldest in the parish, and is still maintained well today. It is located in a cotton field, and on a recent visit home, I took a picture while looking at different graves. http://richlandroots.blogspot.com/2011/06/wynn-island-cemete...

I assume that the Halley Family you are referring to is A.B. "Brice" Halley and his wife, Ida Halley, as they are in the same small community as John Albert Etheridge was. There is also an Etheridge in the small Wynn Cemetery.

A.B. Halley and his wife each were very active in the church. In 2005, Start Baptist Church celebrated its 100th anniversary, and in the anniversary publication, the following notes are found which are sourced in the church minutes from the 1930's, 40's, etc:

"On October 1, 1939, Mrs. Ida Halley was elected as church clerk. Her husband, Mr. Brice Halley had been church clerk before her for about 10 years. She would serve as church clerk and secretary faithfully until 1968. She and Mr. Halley joined Start Baptist Church in 1911. Mrs. Halley passed away on December 31, 1978. He passed away in 1948 and was the first to be buried in the new cemetery." *Note - This is referring to the Start Cemetery.

Also, the Halley family donated a portion of their land to Start Baptist Church, and in 1984, the church built a fellowship hall, which is named Halley Hall, after the Halley family.

I don't know if this is helpful or note, but wanted to relay it nonetheless. There is a very small photo of Mr. Halley that I could also send to you if you do not have a photo of him, and if this is indeed the Halley family you are referring to.

Luke

PS - I recently snapped a neat photo of the Wynn Cemetery and posted it to my blog a few weeks ago. You can view it here -- http://richlandroots.blogspot.com/2011/06/wynn-island-cemete...

Re: Etheridge/Ethridge, Stewart, Gentry, Halley, Thurman

Posted: 7 Aug 2011 4:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Indeed, it is the family I am referring to. I do have a lot of that information, but not so much about A. B. Halley and his wife. Thanks for that.

The Etheridge buried in the Wynn Cemetery is my grandfather, John Albert Etheridge, the son of Martha Melissa Halley and Albert (Thurman) Etheridge. He was killed in action in WWI. Martha was the daughter of John Wesley Halley and his wife, Sarah (Rice?). If there is another Etheridge there, I would like to know the name.

If I am not mistaken, and I would have to look it up in my records, your Halley is from Jessie James Halley (the brother of John W. Halley).

I would like to have the photo. You can email me at nkuehl@yahoo.com - thank you very much.

I posted a short comment on your blog. :)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic