Search for content in message boards

Nelson Moran

Nelson Moran

Posted: 27 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Mar 2002 1:16PM GMT
Surnames: MORAN
Hi!
I'm looking for any information on Nelson MORAN and his ancestors. He was born abt. 1779 in Albermarle Co. and married Mary Owen among others. Any information at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Nelson Moran

Jeff Moran (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jan 2003 2:44AM GMT
Hi,
I saw your query and was wondering if you ever found out anything? I am looking for information on a William Moran who lived in Albemarle Co. prior to his move to Barren County, KY in 1806. Would be interested in anything you can share. Thanks,
Jeff Moran
Indianapolis, IN

Eddie Fort (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jan 2003 10:40PM GMT
Surnames: Moran, Young, Shipplett, Fort, Vedova
Jeff- I have 8 different William Moran's in my Moran line. Which one are you interested in??
I have not been able to push the line further back than Nelson but have been able to fill in some of the missing branches. Maybe we could share our rescources??

Jeff Moran (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jan 2003 1:29AM GMT
Eddie,
I was able to find some information about my William on the Latter Day Saints' website. He was born around 1775, married a Ruth Fitzpatrick on 12/24/1805, moved to Barren Co. KY around 1806, and died in 1839. The entry on the website did not say what the source of their information was.

Here's my Moran line: father Billy Leon; grandfather Fount Isaac; ggrandfather Hezekiah Jr.; gggrandfather Hezekiah P.; ggggrandfather Robert P.; gggggrandfather the above William.

I know the burial sites for all but Robert P and William. Feel sure they are in Barren Co or an adjoining county. Does any of this sound familiar? Would be glad to share what I have.
Thanks,
Jeff

Eddie Fort (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jan 2003 8:17PM GMT
Jeff- I searched what I have and can't find any connection. Sorry.

Jeff Moran (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jan 2003 1:02AM GMT
Eddie - thank you for checking anyhow. Good luck in your research.
Jeff

Re: Nelson Moran (wife's family)

Posted: 17 Jan 2007 4:20PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jan 2007 1:26PM GMT
Surnames: moran, owens, smith
While the following does not follow the descent of Nelson Moran, it does relate to his wife's family.

Nelson Moran married Mary (Polly) Owens in Amherst Co, Va. in 1802. She was a daughter of Mary Owens but nothing more is known about her mother's ancesteral line. Sometime between that time and 1810, this couple and other family members moved to Patrick Co., Va as witnessed by census and other records. This family had probably been living in the area of Amherst Co. which became Nelson Co. in the early 1800's.

Mary Owen's sister Sarah (Sally) had married James Smith in Amherst Co. in 1793. Parties to the wedding included Avery Owens, Owen Haskins, James Vigus (?), and William Smith. James Smith's father was Hillary Smith from Buckingham Co., Va. Hillary and Sally were apparently estranged at some point as she is listed as head of household in the 1820 census of Patrick Co., Va. Also, in his 1828 will from Nelson Co., Va., Levi Owen makes a bequest to Nelson Moran of Patrick Co., for the benefit of his (Levi's) sister Sarah Smith of Patrick Co. and adds the condition that the bequest is for her use without interference from her husband. Also mentioned in the will are Levi's brothers John and David.

Also mentioned in the will is Adeline Smith, daughter of Levi's nephew James Smith (son of Hillary and Sarah), to whom he left a bequest for her support. This James Smith was married to Permelia Wills - a daughter of James Wills and Elizabeth Warwick. As with his parents, James Smith and wife were apparently not always on good terms as witnessed by a chancery suit filed by Permelia against James shortly before her death in 1832. The children of this unhappy union included Adeline E.(m.John Morris), James(nothing more known), Behetheland T.(my ancestor - m.Nathaniel Hill Bibb), Rodolphus W.(m.Almira Lowery), and Sarah P.(m. George Swanson Loving).

From a post on another message board, I have seen a Louise Smith identified as another child of Hillary Smith and Sarah Owens. Her husband is identified as a William Tinsley Davis of Buckingham Co.(b.1817).

In the 1820 Patrick Co. census, Nelson Moran, Sally Smith, and a Thomas Bolling are listed in sequence on p.638. The wife of this Thomas Bolling has been reported as Polly Smith who he married in 1817. I don't know of a connection but assume one is likely.

Mike Lee
Lynchburg, Va.

Re: Nelson Moran (wife's family - correction )

Posted: 17 Jan 2007 4:39PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jan 2007 1:27PM GMT
Surnames: moran, smith, wills, owens
Sarah Smith's 1793 marriage was with Hillary Smith - not James Smith as stated in the previous post. This James was their son and married Permelia Wills in 1815.

To recap:

Mary Owens (husband not known)

Her sons included David, John, and Levi Owens (and maybe one named Avery unless this was in fact Levi)

Her daughters included Mary(aka Polly) who married Nelson Moran in 1802 and Sarah(aka Sally) who married Hillary Smith in 1793.

Children of Hillary and Sarah Smith include James who married Permelia Wills, Louise who married William Tinsley Davis, and possibly Polly who married Thomas Bolling.

Re: Nelson Moran (wife's family)

Posted: 8 Apr 2007 12:48PM GMT
Surnames: Moran. Owen
Mike,
I would like to compare notes with you.

Bill Moran
billclay@swva.net

Posted: 23 Sep 2007 10:36PM GMT
Surnames: Moran, Browning
Eddie,

I am trying to trace my husband's line back from a William Moran b. ca 1821 in KY (1850 cenus) who m. Martha J. Browning 17 FEB 1846 in Barren Co., KY.

Would you have any info that might help me?

Thanks,
Rebecca Moran
RAM548@aol.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic