Search for content in message boards

Lahti and Oikersinen surnames??

Lahti and Oikersinen surnames??

Pat Hall (View posts)
Posted: 8 Sep 2004 11:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have in my possession two books written by a lady who I believe is now deceased. They are about her life. In the beginning she gives all of the information that she know about her mother and father. The surnames she references are Lahti and Oikersinen. I cannot locate Oikersinen?? They were supposed to have come from and island called Uuraan Saari south of Viepuri or Viborg. Any help will be appreciated as I would like to be able to put these in the families hands.

Re: Lahti and Oikersinen surnames??

Posted: 9 Sep 2004 2:17AM GMT
Edited: 20 Nov 2006 8:48PM GMT
Viipuri/Viborg belongs to the abolished parishes of the ceded region of Karelia. A village named Uuraa (other spellings Uura, Uurais, Uuras, Uuransaari, Uuraansaari etc) can as a matter of fact be found from the parish of Viipuri in the HisKi database http://www.genealogia.fi/hiski/d140az?en+A21 , in connection with the name Oikeroinen. I believe Oikeroinen and Uuraa(n saari) are the right names. Persons with the name Oikeroinen from Uuraa after 1875 are at least David Oikeroinen with first wife Maria Soininen (child Maria Mathilda in 1872) and second wife Sara Airikka (child David in 1875); Konsta(ntin) Oikeroinen and his wife Beata Riikonen (children between 1890-1899 were Olga, Agda, Lyyli Sofia, Karl Henrik).

The name Uuras (or Uuraansalmi) - Trångsund can be seen SW of Viipuri Viborg at for instance the map http://www.histdoc.net/uscha/c5.jpg and Uuraan saari is just there. It is an island as the Finnish name saari tells.

Your query - how to trace descendants of this family - is much more difficult to answer, however.

Regards,
Staffan
http://sydaby.eget.net/swe/emi_intro.htm

Posted: 9 Sep 2004 12:40PM GMT
Classification: Census
Surnames: Oikeroinen
HI,
I checked the census for Oikeroinen and found none but did find Oikarinen ,all in Michigan.Here is from the 1920 &1930 census:
The last entry is from Ellis Island.

Jacob Oikarinen L'Anse, Baraga, MI abt 1883 Finland White Head
Anna Oikarinen L'Anse, Baraga, MI abt 1888 Wife
Wiljo Oikarinen L'Anse, Baraga, MI abt 1915 Son
Thelma Oikarinen L'Anse, Baraga, MI abt 1918 Daughter
Anna Oikarinen L'Anse, Baraga, MI abt 1921 Daughter
Tyyne Oikarinen L'Anse, Baraga, MI abt 1923 Daughter
Jack Oikarinen L'Anse, Baraga, MI abt 1925 Son
John Oikarinen Calumet, Houghton, MI abt 1891 Finland White Head
Ellen Oikarinen Calumet, Houghton, MI abt 1890 Wife
Wesley Oikarinen Calumet, Houghton, MI abt 1915 Son
Mable Oikarinen Calumet, Houghton, MI abt 1919 Daughter
Marvin Oikarinen Calumet, Houghton, MI abt 1923 Son
Melvin Oikarinen Calumet, Houghton, MI abt 1925 Son
Joyce Oikarinen Calumet, Houghton, MI abt 1929 Daughter
Jafet Oikarinen Portage, Houghton, MI abt 1882 Finland White Head
Mary Oikarinen Portage, Houghton, MI abt 1880 Wife
Mary Oikarinen Portage, Houghton, MI abt 1914 Daughter
William Oikarinen Portage, Houghton, MI abt 1915 Son
Eino Oikarinen Portage, Houghton, MI abt 1918 Son
Ellen Oikarinen Portage, Houghton, MI abt 1920 Daughter

Name Home in 1930
(City,County,State) Estimated Birth Year Birthplace Race Relation to head-of-house View Image Save This

Martha Oikarinen Portage, Houghton, MI abt 1922 Daughter
Hilda Oikarinen Detroit, Wayne, MI abt 1909 Michigan White Servant

View printer-friendly

Oikeroinen, Anna

Finnish

Unras, Russia

July 07, 1912

19y

F

S

Cedric

Liverpool, England, UK

Pat Hall (View posts)
Posted: 11 Sep 2004 9:05PM GMT
Thank you for answering my inquiry - all of this Scandanavian research is "greek" (pardon the pun) to me!!

The second family of Konsta and Beada and children is the family that I am looking for descendants of that are still in Finland. The only one of the children that I know of that immigrated was Anna (who you do not have listed). According to the 1920 U. S. Census, Cleveland, Cuyahoga Co., Ohio Anna states that she immigrated in 1912. She was born about 1894.

My interest in this family is that I have two journals of Anna's daughter that might be of interest to the family in Finland. The daughter was Ellen B. Lahti Bailey. I do not know whether she had any children as these books were in some items donated to a thrift store that I volunteer in. I have no way of tracing down the people that donated them. It is hard for me to throw away items like this - she gives quite a bit of her immediate family information.

Any help is appreciated.

Pat

Posted: 11 Sep 2004 9:41PM GMT
Thank you for your help!!! The last entry - Ellis Island was the person that I made the inquiry about. The 1920 Census stated that she had immigrated in 1912, so this just confirms it. She was the only one in her family that immigrated, the rest stayed in Finland as far as I know.

Pat

Posted: 11 Sep 2004 11:19PM GMT
Edited: 20 Nov 2006 8:48PM GMT
One solution would be to post an announcement to the Karelian genealogy list http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KarjalaisetSuvut and try to come in touch with people who are geographically closer to Karelia and possibly could help you. In my opinion your purpose is so important that you should contact the moderators of the list at the e-mail address karjalaisetsuvut-owner@yahoogroups.com . I suppose they would take serious concern in your attempts to bring the journals to descendants of the Oikeroinen family. I can imagine that the journals also are of general interest for emigration/immigration research.

>She (that is Anna) was born about 1894.

Can she be identical with Agda born 13.10.1895 according to the HisKi database? Her name might be misspelled in the database, or she might have changed it to Anna in the US. There is definetely no Anna Oikeroinen born 1894 in HisKi but the records are by no means foolproof.

There is one Oikeroinen , Anna Erika to New Castle, PA USA, June 19, 1912 in the passenger lists and she has started her journey from Viipuri (please see Detailed passenger information below). She is certainly the Anna Oikeroinen you write about.

If she was 19 years old at that date she must have been born before the second half of 1894. She does not fit Agda born 13.10.1895 according to HisKi very well. It is maybe more reasonable that she (Anna Erika) for some reason has dropped out from the records...

Again I would recommend you to contact the Karelian list if they can trace Anna Erika Oikeroinen and if there are any living Oikeroinen's in Finland.

Detailed passenger information ( source: Emigrant Register of the Institute of Migration http://www.migrationinstitute.fi/emreg/index_e.php )
Last name
Oikeroinen

First names
Anna Erika
Age or age group
Port of departure
Hanko
Place of destination
New Castle
State of destination
PA
Country of destination
USA
Price of ticket
FIM 312
Ship from Finland
Arcturus
Date of departure from Finland
Ship from England
Cedric
Date of departure from England
Ocean Line
White Star Line
Port of departure in England
Liverpool
List and page
88/45
Remarks
Viipuri!

Regards,
Staffan
http://sydaby.eget.net/swe/emi_intro.htm

Posted: 12 Sep 2004 12:14AM GMT
Thanks, Staffan for your help. I have her arrival record from Ellis Island and it compares with her departure records. In the journal that I have it lists the following children: Olga, Anna, Agda, Karl and Lempi??

I will pursue the websites that you suggest and see what happens.

Pat

Posted: 17 Dec 2007 11:34AM GMT
Hi.
I just found these pages and i am glad to tell you that Anna Oikeroinen was my grandfathers sister. My grandfather was Karl-Henrik (Kalle)Oikeroinen, son of Konstantin and Beata.

Posted: 18 Dec 2007 7:04PM GMT
I cannot locate these books right now. If I find them I will let you know.

Pat

Posted: 15 Jan 2008 9:27PM GMT
Surnames: Oikeroinen
Sorry beeing so late with my comments. but it seems that you have hit the right person, Anna Oikeroinen, sister of my mother. Anna lived, i have undestod, most of her life in Cleveland, and had one daughter, Ellen / Lahti/ Bailey /Lane). I met Ellen in 1988 in a small town no far from Boston, she passed away same year in October. She had one son, Wayne, who served in US Military, based in San Diego, he is about 60 yeas old at the moment. I have no information about him, and would appreciate to hear of his where abouts. Best wishws Oili
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions