Search for content in message boards

Tree now confusing

Tree now confusing

Posted: 15 Feb 2014 3:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
I made a complete mess of my tree and had to download the backup copy that I’d saved in FTM 2014. However, I now find that I’ve got more people in the tree than I originally had as more seem to have been added. But, those that have been added also say they’re related to me when I click on the “relationship to you” option. Is this possible, or have things gone very badly wrong somewhere?

Re: Tree now confusing

Posted: 15 Feb 2014 10:06PM GMT
I am now confused. You had a tree that you made a "complete mess of"... where was that tree? On Ancestry, or in FTM.
You took the backup copy of FTM and what did you do with it? You restored it in FTM? And then it continued syncing with ancestry? Or you took your backup copy and restored it FTM and then you took THAT tree and uploaded it to Ancestry?
Or in FTM you restored your backup copy and somehow added it to the original tree?
Could you please outline the steps of exactly what you did, and use the term UPLOAD if it goes from your Computer to Ancestry and DOWNLOAD if it comes from Ancestry to your computer?
Just so we know we are talking about the same thing.

Posted: 16 Feb 2014 2:32PM GMT
The tree was originally on Ancestry and synched with FTM 2014 Upgrade. However, I had to replace my computer and I installed the FTM 2014 Upgrade on it but couldn’t’ get it to work properly. So before doing any Uploading or Downloading I uninstalled it. Then I installed FTM 2012 and then the FTM 2014 Upgrade. I then Downloaded a copy of my tree from Ancestry and synched it with FTM 2014.

Next, I looked at Ancestry and found that I had a tree with a new name, i.e. the number (2) after its name. That confused me, so I did a backup of the FTM tree to my computer and deleted the one on Ancestry. After which I restored the FTM computer backup to FTM and then Uploaded that tree to Ancestry and synched them.

This tree again has a slightly different name on Ancestry from the original, but I’m OK with that. Looking at it on Ancestry is where I seem to have the extra names that were not on my original tree as I don’t recall adding them. However, they do all seem to be related to me in one way or another, but some of the people links and information from the hints needs to be redone.

I hope that makes sense of what I’m trying to say. It took me a year to build my original tree and I’ve now got my fingers crossed that I won’t have to start again. Just going back over it and correcting any errors will take long enough. Many thanks.

Posted: 17 Feb 2014 9:17PM GMT
I see two options... one going back to a previous backup, which would involve starting over and having two trees either online or on your computer, or the other just correcting the tree as it stands as you seem to be able to do. I was going to say happy, but that didn't seem exactly the right word.
Going forward, you should keep several backup copies of your tree, and even keep some of them OFF of your computer and even OUT of your house, for real security. These need to be made using file/backup or some other means of backup, not counting on the automatic backup that FTM does.
Probably you were OK in the first place with the extra tree on Ancestry since a new sync after the link is broken always makes a new tree in either one place OR the other, not both. That tree is probably the one you should have kept.
Now that you have a tree on Ancestry and a tree on your computer though I'd tend to leave as is. Look at the list of ALL the people in your tree and see if you have any duplicates, then merge them. I'd do the merging in FTM I think as it tends to bring along families better.
But keep syncing. Like after every single change that you make. Make one change in FTM. compact the file. [more than once if needed]. Then sync. Then check both trees. Repeat.
Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Posted: 18 Feb 2014 3:25PM GMT
I’ve been correcting the current tree, and merging people where appropriate. And I’ll also do as you suggest and take more backup copies of the tree to keep in different places, e.g. on CD and on a USB stick. The problem really stemmed from the fact that my old computer became unusable and unrepairable – that’ll teach me to build computers :) So I had to start over with a completely new computer.

Yes, it’s a shame I didn’t keep that original tree, but I didn’t know that I was going to encounter the problems I’ve had. I also didn’t know that I was going to get an extra tree when I had to download from Ancestry to FTM and then check it was all synched and uploaded back to Ancestry. Stupidly I thought that as I downloaded my tree from Ancestry, which then went by the same name on FTM, that name would continue to be the same when I uploaded it back to Ancestry! I do keep synching whenever I make any change, and I then check on both trees.

Many thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Posted: 27 Feb 2014 5:19PM GMT
I had to look some information for a family member and discovered an interesting problem. My grandmother is now my aunt! She is listed as the parent of my mother, but where it shows the relationship, she is 'Aunt of...'. Of course this throws everyone up the line off as well. The only way I can figure out how this happened is that in the 1930 Census, my mother is listed as the 'daughter' of the head of household. She was actually the granddaughter, but her mother wasn't married. So her mother is listed as her sister, making her my aunt. The only question is How do I fix this without deleting the census record?

Posted: 27 Feb 2014 5:58PM GMT
Another good reason for NOT merging data from any where. One needs to enter what they want not what the merging source thinks you need.

I would suggest that you remove the merged Census and then try and reenter the information manually.

Posted: 4 Mar 2014 2:01PM GMT
All of this is one of the reasons I am starting over. There is so much emphasis being put on 'citing sources', and I totally agree with them, that I really need to just begin again. I have one master tree (I don't see a reason to separate lines), but I really haven't done a lot of work attaching media I have collected so it won't be difficult. I also can't decide whether to stick with FTM, a program I've used since the very beginning (I still have the v.1 disk!). At least if I start over, NOT merging anything, I can clean things up and get everything where it is supposed to be.

Posted: 4 Mar 2014 3:24PM GMT
Personally I think that starting over is a good idea. With my own tree I'm starting a new one that only goes along my own line directly. In other words to begin with I'm not going to add any siblings, cousins, etc: - just parents, grandparents etc: as far back as I can get. Then, when I've got all of those added with the correct information, sources, citations, etc: I might go back and add other relations.
Meanwhile, I'll leave the other tree with all the information I gathered last year just as it is now.
Regarding FTM, I always keep a copy of my Ancestry trees on FTM and update it each time I make a change. It's always good to have extra copies of things and, if you want to, at least you can work on FTM offline.

Posted: 5 Mar 2014 1:55PM GMT
I will add my tree to ancestry, but I will do it as a GEDCOM and not sync with FTM. That created duplicates of any information because they weren't written the same. I work on 'families' as a unit instead of just doing the direct line. Sometimes, when you can't find one of your direct line, if you look at where the other members of the family are located you can find yours.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions