Search for content in message boards

Rev. James Mitchell, b 1769 - d. 1849 (Virginia)

Rev. James Mitchell, b 1769 - d. 1849 (Virginia)

Posted: 18 Mar 2009 1:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mitchell, Gormley
My great, great, great grandmother Hannah Mitchell Gormley, born 1803, died 1866 is buried in Norfolk, Virginia. Her parents, Rev. James Mitchell and unknown are buried in the same family plot. Hannah and my gr. gr. gr. grandfather John Gormley (Gormly) were married in Norfolk in 1830. Although I have found some references to a Rev. James Mitchell, contemporaneous with this time period, I don't think he is the right one (Quaker). Has anybody come across these names? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Rev. James Mitchell, b 1769 - d. 1849 (Virginia)

Posted: 27 Mar 2009 9:59PM GMT
Surnames: Mitchel, Blair
if you can give me some specifics, maybe i can help. where in norfolk is this cemetery? do you have info from the tombstone, or from family sources? my guy was born in 1747; is that possible? his wife was mary blair. was your family presbyterian?

Posted: 28 Mar 2009 12:46PM GMT
Surnames: Gormley, Mitchell
Hi - basically all I know is what I wrote in my posting. His headstone says 1769-1849. "Mrs. James Mitchell" is all that is on his wife's headstone, no first name or maiden name. The newspaper announcement of my gr, gr, gr grandparents wedding states Hannah, daughter of "Rev James Mitchell" of Norfolk. The cemetery is Cedar Grove (now affiliated with Elmwood since no more burials are allowed in Cedar Grove). Hannah "joined" First Presbyterian Church in Norfolk in 1841, so I don't know if she was previously Presbyterian or not.

Does this match up with anything of yours?

Thanks, Roberta

Posted: 28 Mar 2009 9:04PM GMT
hi roberta,
unfortunately, i don't think this is the same rev. james mitchell. mine was born in PA in 1747, and was the pastor of the peaks of otter presbyterian church in bedford, VA from 1786 until his death in 1841. his wife was frances (or francis) blair rice. there are some walton, leftwich and pryor marriages in our family, but i couldn't connect them. to my knowledge, we don't have anyone in the norfolk area. sorry.
joann
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions