Search for content in message boards

Thibodeaux / Lee

Thibodeaux / Lee

Posted: 7 Jul 2012 1:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Dec 2012 12:40PM GMT
Surnames: Dugas, Thibodeaux, Trahan, Champagne, Dupuis, Melancon, Latiolais, Laperouse and associated families
I have 2 young people in my Thibodeaux genealogy that I haven't been able to identify, listed in the Police Jury Ward 4, Iberia, Louisiana census 1930

Marie Lee b: 1914 age 16 listed as orphan living with Whitney Breaux and Anita Thibodeaux
I remember my Mom saying " Taunt Nit" had raised a girl but she left when she was of age and she never heard of her again. My Mom has since passed away

J W or J Y Lee b: 1916 age 14, listed with Leo Boudreaux and Marie Angela Thibodeaux . I believe he died in 1937 in a car accident in St Martinville or St Martin Parish, I found, then misplaced an old newpaper article about accident but found this...

Louisiana, Statewide Death Index, 1900-1949 about J Y Lee

Name: J Y Lee
Death Date: 29 Mar 1937
Estimated Birth Year: 1916
Race: White or Mexican (White)
Parish:Iberia
Certificate Number:3782
Volume:9

The Thibodeaux ladies were my grand mothers sisters. I haven't been able to find out who these 2 Lee children were.

I've checked with the Orphan Train museum and they were not on the list.

Re: Thibodeaux / Lee

Posted: 19 Jul 2012 3:41PM GMT
Hi,

I found that same death record on the FamilySearch site [Mormon site] and his initials were picked up as "J.J.". His parents were listed as A.D. Lee and Virginia Verrit [Verret]. I tried finding this couple in 1920, but did not find them. I also did not find death records which I find strange. The LA death records begin in 1911 and they would have died after 1916. That is assuming the children were really orphans.

I'll keep looking.

Hope this helps.

Cheryl

Posted: 20 Jul 2012 9:00AM GMT
Thank you, this a quite a mystery, I checked every avenue I could think of. I ll keep searching
The couple you listed may be the key

Posted: 20 Jul 2012 2:50PM GMT
Hi,

I found what may be Virginia Verret on the 1900 census. There is a Virginie Verret [18, bn 4-1882] who is listed as a niece in the household of Cesaire Dugas [45] and his wife, Endolie Dugas [35]. They are at Fausse Pointe in Iberia Parish.

If you are in Louisiana, I suggest that you may want to look at Father Hebert's Southwest Louisiana Records. It is a set of books containing the BMD records for the area and Iberia Parish would be included. Right off hand I don't recall the dates included, but you may be able to find something. Also, any marriage records for the parish may be of use. A.D. Lee and Virginia Verret would have been married prior to 1914. Also, that Virginie who was born in April of 1882 should be listed in the book.

I still find nothing on the 1920 census. If the parents were already deceased by 1920, the two children should be listed. I checked all the Mary/Marie/Maria listings for 1920 and none appear to be the correct one. Finding the boy is more difficult since we don't know his first name.

I presume that you don't know of any Lee or Verret connections in your family. Maybe finding who Virginie's mother was may give you a lead.

Good luck,

Cheryl

Posted: 20 Jul 2012 4:39PM GMT
Got it thank you so much

Cesaire Dugas ( Eloi & Elizabeth Judice m 16 Jan 1882 Eudolie Verret (Joseph & Josephine Etienne)
(Loreauville Ch : v 1, p 100)

Now it all begins to fall in place

I knew it had to be family.
Now I know where to check
Thank you so much

Posted: 20 Jul 2012 7:09PM GMT
Hi,

Glad you are now on the right track. Good luck!

Cheryl
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions