Search for content in message boards

BROOKS family

BROOKS family

Doug Brooks (View posts)
Posted: 27 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BROOKS, ELLER
looking for information on David Brooks or his son Granville Brooks. David was in his 20's during the Civil War. Residents on Ashe County near Silas Creek. Granville's wife was an Eller.

Brooks family

Posted: 1 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 12 Jul 2005 2:47AM GMT
Surnames: Jones, Blackburn, Howell, Sexton, Barker, Absher, Francis
Ashe County Brooks families:
In my own research to eliminate various families and names i did some research on all Brookses in the area.
I believe this to be correct.
Granville (Dan) Brooks married Jennie Eller.
Their children: Burl, Lester, Walter, Paul, Hattie. Nona, Blanche and Chessie.
His father was Dave Brooks and his mother was Frankie Evaline Neaves, b.March 7,1844. d. dec. 25, 1884.
Their children: Arthur, Allen, Cephus, Eli.
2nd marriage to Celia Wyatt-
their children: Fred, Tom, Bett, Cora, Inez, Lunie
I may have some further information if this is the correct family.
lonnie@fastransit.net

peter&nancy brooks eller

PETER ELLER (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: BROOKS, ELLER
LOOKING FOR A PHOTO OF PETER & NANCY BROOKS ELLER,THEY LIVED IN THE WALNUTHILL TWNSHP IN ASHE COUNTY. PETER DIED IN 1898.NANCY DIED ABOUT 1910.THEY ARE BURIED IN THE ELLER BARKER MCNELL CEM ON THE PARKER ELLER RD IN ASHE COUNTY.THESE ARE MY GREAT GREAT GRANDPARENTS.

Malinda Brooks

Sandi Harris-Engers (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
My GGGrandmother's name was Cynthia Brooks (married M. Luther Johnson). Her mother's name is Malinda Brooks. I have no info on Malinda. Cynthia was born in 1860 and died in 1920. Her father's name was Silvester Miller. I was told that she used both Brooks and Miller for a last name. She's buried in the Piney Creek Cemetery along with my Johnson relatives, behind Lansing. Do you have any info on Malinda? Thanks!
Posted: 13 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: jones, barker, blackburn, francis, sexton, howell, absher, hash, anderson, phipps
i believe malinda was the daughter of david and mary hardin treadway brooks.
i have a will that is for mary brooks. apparently she and david went separate ways and he had other children with someone else, perhaps a sarah landreth. the will makes it clear mary wanted her children to recieve certain property.
i will do some further research and will post further info by the weekend.
lonnie@fastransit.net

Malinda Brooks

Posted: 14 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Brooks
Thanks so much. I've seen Mary Brooks on a census for Ashe County. I just wanted to correct my mistake in my first message. Cynthia's buried in the Brooks' Cemetery in the Piney Creek area of Lansing, NC. (I had mistakenly called it Piney Creek Cemetery. I'm looking forward to your additional info. Thanks!!

Malinda Brooks

Posted: 17 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: jones, brooks, sexton, francis, howell, blackburn, absher, barker
Records i have found show the following information on this family from Ashe County
Cynthia Brooks b. abt 1860-married to a Columbus Johnson.
Her mother Malinda was never married. Some records seem to show her name as Belinda. I would not worry about that so much if the one record that stands out were not a will from her father listing her name as Belinda.
MAlinda Brooks was b.1822. Apparently never married.
She had four children David, Susan E., Elizabeth, and Cynthia.
A death record for David Brooks, her son lists Riley Blevins as his father.
In the 1870 census the following household exists:
Sylvester Miller-58
Elizabeth-20
Cynthia-9
Henry-6
Which may mean that Sylvester was indeed her father.

do you know anything about the Susan E. listed as her daughter?

Malinda's mother was Mary Hardin. She was married to David Brooks and had these children with him:
Malinda, Nancy, Margaret, and george Washington.
She was married to Robert Treadway before marrying David and had 5 children with him before he died.
Her father was Henry Hardin, her mother was KAtherine Cox, a daughter of Captain John Cox.
david father was Thomas Brooks,sr. and his mother was Jane Beck (Beckler).
Thomas Brooks father was George Brooks from Delaware, his mtoher name was Leah Hurley.
Hope this is of some help, if it is and you would want printed family group sheets, let me know where to mail them and i will.

The reason i asked about Susan E. is that i am searching for parentage and proof on Emaline Brooks BArker, the first wife of James Monroe BArker, who is either the daughter or grand daughter of David Brooks, and my gg grand mother

Malinda Brooks

Posted: 19 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Thank you so much for the info! That's alot. I'm sorry I don't know about Susan E. though it seems I've seen her name on a census or something. I assuming you're thinking that the "E" stands for Emaline. Wish I could help but I'm descended from Cynthia. She's my gg grandmother. Yes-she was married to Colombus "Lynell" Johnson. A person by the name of Gail Black-Ferver(sp?) who posts on this board, gave me the info that Cynthia's father was Silvester Miller. The info came from a book called "Miller Families of Ashe Co", written by Danny Miller that she has a copy of. Yes I would love to have additional info. I will e:mail you. Thanks again!!

More Brooks'

Posted: 21 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
It's me again. In the 1870 Federal Census, there is a St. Leger Brooks (69 yrs. old) as head of household living with an Elizabeth (31 yrs old), Columbus (12 yrs old) and a Susan Treadway (29 yrs old). From your research, do you know who St. Leger is? And who the rest of them are? I'm particularly interested in the 12 yr. old Columbus. Thanks again!

Brooks, James N.

Posted: 23 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 14 Feb 2002 2:01PM GMT
Surnames: BROOKS, PERRY
I was wondering if you maybe had some information regarding a James N. Brooks b. 1855, probably in Ashe Co., NC. He married on 11-9-1873 in Ashe Co. to Hannah E. Perry b. 1855, also of NC. A known dau. was Katherine Ennis Brooks b. 3-15-1880, Ashe Co. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanx, Cindy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic