Search for content in message boards

Sarah Baird--born 1779 PA, died Fleming Co. KY 1855

Sarah Baird--born 1779 PA, died Fleming Co. KY 1855

Posted: 11 Aug 2003 3:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Sep 2004 6:19PM GMT
Surnames: Beard, Baird, Staggs
Sarah Beard or Baird--it's spelled both ways--was born February 27, 1779 in Pennsylvania, to David and Eleanor Baird/Beard, and died May 05, 1855 in Fleming County, Kentucky. She married James Staggs 20 September 1797 in Mason County, Kentucky. I have scattered references to David in Mason County at my website at http://littlecalamity.tripod.com/Leavell.html

Some "Pennsylvania" memories turn out to be Maryland, so I wouldn't rule out a birth there.

Can anyone identify David and Eleanor Beard/Baird and provide some background on them?

Re: Sarah Baird--born 1779 PA, died Fleming Co. KY 1855

Posted: 31 Jul 2004 4:36AM GMT
Edited: 2 Sep 2004 7:16AM GMT
Hi,
I also have a sarah Baird(Beard) Birth year would be about right.Mine was married twice that I know of. One was to Manlius Cooke, Other to William Jump Both marriages in Kentucky.Mine is supposedly Born in Va but you know how that goes. Is it possible this is the Same sarah Maybe married three times. I know William Jump Died When their Children were young. What do you think?
Lori

George R. Jump (View posts)
Posted: 9 Aug 2004 10:37PM GMT
The Gallatin County 1850 Ky census has a George W. Baird living in the household of George W. Jump and Lutitia Jump. George Baird was I believe 68 years old at the time. Do you know how or what was the cause of death for William Jump. I believe they may have had a son George W. Jump born in 1819 or 1820 that later move to the Jefferson City Missouri Cole county area and died shortly after the civil war.

Posted: 10 Aug 2004 4:51AM GMT
Edited: 2 Sep 2004 7:16AM GMT
George,
I have no idea what william Jump Died from.That baird that lived with the Jump's might just be a link. I sure will checkout that lead.If I find anything on your george w. Jump I will be sure to contact you.Who Knows we might even be Kin somewhere down the line.

Lori

Posted: 19 Jun 2012 2:18AM GMT
Surnames: Baird
Do you know when and where David or Eleanor died and where they are buried?

Posted: 19 Jun 2012 6:41PM GMT
Surnames: Beard, Baird
We're not even sure if the name is Beard or Baird, or where David was born, let alone where he died. See my website at http://littlecalamity.tripod.com/Genealogy/Beard.html for some data and guesses.

Baird: MD > PA > KY, OH

Posted: 19 Jun 2012 11:04PM GMT
Surnames: Baird Beard
Hi I read your web page and also sent you an email. I don't see a place for David in this group, but wonder if they were cousins or fellow travelers. One thing it illustrates is that there were two Williams, William son of David and son of William born very close to each other:
This is more detail on the William part of the mystery:
Baird: Hagerstown, MD > Westmoreland, PA > Mason, KY, Fleming, KY, Clark, OH

(Is this Legal Notice for William Baird the first?)
http://www.newspaperabstracts.com/index.php?action=displayca...
http://www.newspaperabstracts.com/link.php?action=detail&...
Washington Spy
Contributed by Susan
Description: Legal Notice
Date: September 19 1792

Newspaper published in: Elizabeth Town (Hagerstown), Md.

Page/Column: 3/1

All persons having claims against the estate of WILLIAM BAIRD, deceased, are desired to exhibit them properly authenticated for settlement; and all those indebted to the said estate are requested to make payment with all possible speed, in order that the estate may be settled at an early date.
MARGARET BAIRD, Ex'rx
Hagerstown, Sept. 19, 1792
http://www.heritagepursuit.com/Clark/ClarkHarmonybio.htm

954 - BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES:
HARMONY TOWNSHIP.
1. Wm. Native of MD.had one son, William, and two daughters
2. Wm. b. Hagerstown, MD, March 16, 1762, m. Dorothy Camerer / Kamerer. In 1790 moved to Westmoreland co. PA. Abt. 1794 came by flatboat to Maysville, Mason County, KY and then to Fleming, KY. Stayed in Fleming 14 years. 1808, after losing title to land moved to Clark co., OH. Children were: Esther, Susannah, Sarah, Peter C., John, Elizabeth, Mary Ann and William D
3. William Dudley Baird b. Fleming, KY Feb. 4, 1803, m. Sarah M. C. Hodge, had the following children: Isabel (wife of Henry Stickney), Andrew (deceased), Samuel E. (deceased), William W. (deceased), Mary Ann (deceased wife of John A. Yeazell) and James (deceased).

WILLIAM D. BAIRD, retired farmer; P. O. Springfield. Few men have had the good fortune to win the affectionate regard and kindly sympathy of the community in which they live that William D. Baird has gained among the people of Clark Co. His supple frame bending under the weight of years, his frank, open, generous face, his courteous bearing, his kindly and even-tempered disposition, unruffled by the cares and anxieties of a lifetime of business activity, all conspire to excite respect. Nearly fourscore years have left, him a bale, hearty and well-preserved old man ; a quick, elastic step; busy, active and energetic in business; still in possession of his old-time habits of industry, which have been his stepping-stone to prosperity. His
grandfather, William Baird, a native of Maryland, of English origin-the family having come to the American Colonies before the Revolutionary war-was a man of prominence in his county; was Justice of the Peace, and afterward represented his county in the State Legislature for three terms. He had a family of three children, one son and two daughters, and died at Hagerstown, in his native State. His son William, the youngest of his children, was born in Hagerstown, Md., March 16, 1762, and when 18 years of age, went into the patriot army to help free his native land from English tyrrany. Some time after the close of that struggle for liberty, William was married to Dorothy Camerer, who was born in his native town in March, 1760. The Camerers were from Holland, and settled in Maryland at an early day, five of her brothers having been soldiers in the Revolution, fighting the battles for freedom under Washington. William Baird and wife remained in Maryland until 1790, then removed to Westmoreland Co., Penn., where they resided about four years; thence came down the Ohio on a flat-boat, to Maysville, Ky., and from there to Fleming Co., of the same State, where he intended settling on 500 acres of land previously entered by his father, and given to him on condition that he would settle upon it. He remained in Fleming Co. about fourteen years, but never settled on the land, for the reason that others claimed it, and be, putting his case in the hands of a lawyer, finally lost it all. In 1808, he and family came to Clark Co., Ohio, and he entered 160 acres of land in Sec. 30, Township 6, Range 9, Harmony Township, paying one-half entrance money down, and the balance in the next four years, receiving his patent in 1812. To William and Dorothy Baird were born the following children: Esther, Susannah, Sarah, Peter C., John, Elizabeth, Mary Ann and William D., only two of whom are living-Susannah, the widow of Joshua Tatman, and the subject of this sketch. William D. was born in Fleming Co., Ky., Feb. 4, 1803, and was in his 5th year when the family moved to this county. He grew to maturity on his father's farm, attending school about two years at the primitive log schoolhouse of his neighborhood, most of the time having to walk three miles to get there. His mother died Sept. 4, 1824, a sincere member of the Methodist Church, and March 9, 1836, his father died, leaving to his family a farm of 394 acres of land, William D. receiving the old homestead of 160, on which were such improvements as were common fifty years ago. Two of the sons, Peter C. and John, were soldiers in the war of 1812. William D. Baird was married in Pleasant Township, Dec. 1, 1826, to Sarah M. C. Hodge, daughter of Andrew and Isabel (McTire) Hodge, natives of Virginia, who first settled in Kentucky, coming to Clark Co. in the fall of 1808, and settling in Pleasant Township. Mrs. Baird was born in Bourbon Co., Ky., April 12, 1804, and had born to her the following children: Isabel (wife of Henry Stickney), Andrew (deceased), Samuel E. (deceased), William W. (deceased), Mary Ann (deceased wife of John A. Yeazell) and James (deceased). Mrs. Baird died Feb. 19,1876, after a wedded life of over half a century, leaving behind her partner in life's battles to mourn the loss of his faithful helpmate. Politically, he is a Republican, and, although connected with no religious denomination, he believes firmly in the fundamental principles of Christianity. Beginning in life at " the foot of the ladder," he has, by hard, determined work and constant attention to his business affairs, made a wonderful success. He is now the owner of about 1,000 acres of land surrounding the old. homestead, and about 300 in other parts of the county, and his wealth is to-day estimated at from $75,000 to $100,000. In his younger days he was an active stockraiser, and in this manner, by untiring energy, has made a success. Seldom equaled in farm life, Mr. Baird is a living example of what pluck and perseverance can accomplish when backed by industry and true economy. He is now in his 79th year, and as hale and hearty as are most men at half his age; and although his life has been one of constant toil and business cares, his character stands unblemished, and his reputation for honesty and integrity is above reproach. His troubles have been many, having lost every member of his family, with the exception of one; but, with patient resignation, he bows to the will of the Great Creator, and awaits the day when he shall again meet those gone on before.

Posted: 30 Jun 2012 6:34AM GMT
Surnames: Baird Beard Shobe Coiner Coyner Koiner
It looks like one David who married Eleanor went to Vermillion, IL? I have been reasearching an Evan Baird b. Fleming, KY 1800, per son David Winfield Baird's death certificate. Evan was in St. Claire, IL by 1830s. On 1850 census, Evan was b. KY 1800. I believe thie is the Evan, whose father, David Beard d. 1820 in Fayette, OH. Penelope was David's widow and may have been Evan's step mom. Evan sold his land in Fayette to John Beard / Baird before Evan appeared in St. Claire, IL.

David and Evan Baird

Posted: 30 Jun 2012 8:44AM GMT
Surnames: Baird Beard
Evan Baird
Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947
birth: Fleming County,​ Kentucky
spouse: Mary Miller
child: David Windfield Baird

Evin Baird
United States Census, 1830
residence: 1830 Not Stated,​ St Clair,​ Illinois

Evan Baird
United States Census, 1840
residence: 1840 Not Stated,​ Saint Clair,​ Illinois

Evan Beard
United States Census, 1850
birth: 1800 Kentucky
residence: 1850 St. Clair county,​ part of,​ St. Clair,​ Illinois,​ United States

David Beard's estate appeared in the Fayette, OH Minute Book for 1820

Tax records of Fayette county also reflect David Beard heirs were taxed on land he owned. The records reflect David Beard heirs from the years 1820 to 1827.

Evan sold land that David bought in 1817 to John Beard in 1826 in Fayette, OH and appearred in St. Claire, IL in 1830.

From Archives in Fayette, Ohio:

A lot of the minute books and indexes that I need to look through were destroyed by a fire at the Court House in 1866. Here’s what I did find though.

I have five entries in Minute Book A that mentions David Beard & also Evan Beard. Unfortunately, no case number is listed on these so I can’t find the actual case information or a copy of the will.

I did locate a deed where David bought 167 acres from Peter Eyman on November 22, 1817.

That’s about all I can locate at this time, Common Pleas information is so difficult to research due to the-shall I say-rather unconventional way they filed things during that era.

Posted: 12 Dec 2013 9:02AM GMT
Surnames: Baird Donovan Batchlor
On your web site you mention William Baird, who m. Margaret Donovan. Looks like they were in Vermillion, IL from 1830s. William died between 1860-1880. Margaret died after 1870. Here is their son:

Name: Frank Baird

Titles and Terms (Original):
Event Date: 07 Nov 1921
Event Place: Catlin, Vermilion, Illinois
Marital Status:
Race:
Birth Year (Estimated): 1842
Birth Date: 20 Jun 1842
Birthplace: Indinolia, Illinois
Father's Name: William Baird
Father's Titles and Terms:
Father's Birthplace: Kentucky
Mother's Name: Margaret Donovan

Mother's Titles and Terms:
Mother's Birthplace: Kentucky
Residence Place:
Address:
Spouse's Name: Batchlor

Spouse's Titles and Terms (Original):
Spouse's Birthplace:
Burial Date: 08 Nov 1921
Burial Place:
Cemetery: Woodlawn Cemetery
Informant's Name:
Additional Relatives:
Digital Folder Number: 4008165

Image Number: 921
GS Film number: 1570850

Reference ID: 36891
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions