Search for content in message boards

Gray family in Sheffield, Yorkshire,England

Gray family in Sheffield, Yorkshire,England

Darren Gray (View posts)
Posted: 29 Mar 2000 12:43AM GMT
I have records and documents relating back to 1801 which I am willing to share with related parties.
I am missing information on a Henry Gray born in Sheffield around 1833, he married a Mary Ann Buntannie(phoenetic spelling) at the parish church on December 31st 1850. Her father was named Dmenico Brentani born in Italy. If you feel that you may have any connection with the Gray family in Sheffield, England I would be most interested.Please contact me via the published Email or At darren Gray The leadmill, 6 Leadmill Road, Sheffield S1 4SE, South Yorkshire, England

Sheffield Workhous(es)

Posted: 4 Apr 2000 7:00AM GMT
Edited: 30 Mar 2002 9:56PM GMT
Darren --
Sorry, I can't help, but I'm looking for some help myself. My grandmother was born in Sheffield in 1877. For reasons that I do not know, she and her siblings were raised in "the workhouse." Do you know if it is possible to find out whether there was only one workhouse then, or were there more? Also, of course, the name(s). My grandmother's parents were Annie Jubb and William Henry Smith. Grandmother was Sarah Elizabeth Smith. Her siblings were William Henry, Jr., Alice, Harriett Ellen, and Joseph. Any scrap of info would be very exciting to receive. Thanks.
CousinJohn2@cs.com
or (Regular mail)
John Post
5725 W. Cannon Dr.
Glendale, AZ 85302
USA

Sheffield Workhouses

Darren Gray (View posts)
Posted: 4 Apr 2000 7:46AM GMT
John

Workhouses in England during the Nineteteeth Century were administered by the Parish Board eg Church.
They were very harsh envirionments where only the destitute were received. there was a huge stigma to be attached to a Workhouse once in you never got out. I often remeber my Grandmother born Sheffield 1913 using the expression "He'll finish up in the Workhouse"Th e fear made th memory persist well into the twentieth century.
I kow there was a workhouse on Shalesmoor North Sheffield near to where I live at present. If you know wher in Sheffield your relatives lived I then coul locate the parish and therefore the nearest workhouses- there was only about 6 Parishes in Sheffield at that time.

Regards

Darren Gray

Sheffield address

Posted: 4 Apr 2000 1:49PM GMT
Edited: 30 Mar 2002 9:56PM GMT
Friend Darren --
I have a copy of a birth record for my grandmother's sister, Alice. I indicates that she was born "in the Sub-district of North Sheffield." The address is given as:
5 Court
Edward Street
USD
or
5 Court Edward Street
USD
I can't tell you how happy I am to have someone who just may be able to help me on this problem. Thanks much.
John Post

gray family in UK

francine gray (View posts)
Posted: 23 May 2000 11:47AM GMT
Info is sketchy on Gray side, but what I have is grandfather, James Gray orig. from Leicestershire UK. His mother: Tompkins. James settled in Wexford, Ire (believe mother did too). Met May O'Connor (from Limerick), married in NYC.
Many O'Connor relatives includ. late Cardinal John O
'Connor. Tompkins family seems mostly in marketing field. O'Connors in music/entertainment. James was estab. textile salesman with own store in Wexford, and somewhat older than May O'Connor. His son is my late father, James Joseph Gray (b. 1916, d. 1970), who had brother Charles. Any search of Grays turns up nothing much. James Sr. was Anglecan (some Jewish lineage possible), May was Catholic.

Re: Gray family in Sheffield, Yorkshire,England

Posted: 2 Dec 2001 12:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Apr 2002 6:21PM GMT
I had a greatgrandfather named John Gray, born 1847 in Salisbury. He had two children, a son Frederick Ernest Gray born in 1881 or 1882, and a daughter, Iris Frances Gray, borm 1887. Fred came to USA. I have been trying to get birth documents for all three and a marriage document for John Gray. So far, No luck. I don't know if John lived out his final days in Salisbury or not. If you could help, please contact me through e-mail . Thank You. J. Gray

Re: Sheffield Workhouses

Posted: 4 Feb 2003 4:45PM GMT
Surnames: swannell & lee
im looking for my great grandma jane swannell she lived in the nether hallam area & also in attercliffe.family members seem to recall it to be near the northern genreal hospital. i have no exact date but it was around 1908 upwards if you could help it would be great .
regards
lesley

Posted: 4 Feb 2003 6:43PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2003 11:05PM GMT
Leslie --
I'm sorry to report that I have never found out anything about the Sheffield workhouses. My grandmother was born in 1877 and was raised in the workhouse. She DID get out in about 1901 at age 14. She was able to go to America because some wealthy person in Pittsburgh paid her fare and she worked as an indentured servant until she was 21. I'm so very eager to know where she was and why she was there, but one difficult thing is that her name was Sarah Smith. There are many of them. Please let me know if you learn anything. My E-mail is CousinJohn2@cs.com. Thanks for the contact. -- John Post

Re: Gray family in Sheffield, Yorkshire,England

Posted: 6 Mar 2004 8:39PM GMT
Surnames: Pettifer, South, Machin, Whiteley, Longden, Senior, Gray, Weatherill
My Great Grandfather John William Gray was married to Selina Senior in December 1902 in Sheffield. I'm assuming he was also born in Sheffield, around 1880, but I've not been doing this very long, and I haven't had chance to get to the records office yet.
They had 6 children, Selina, Fred, Harry, Mary, Joe and Irene. Irene, the youngest was my Nan-nan.

If you, or anyone have any information I'd be very grateful.

Wendy (View posts)
Posted: 17 Mar 2005 8:30PM GMT
Hi Darren,
I have just found your meaasge so dont know If you'll get this but I am looking for anyone who can tell me where Sheffield Workhouse was.
My GG Grandfather died there in 1883 it gives Pitsmoor under 1 column on the death certificate & brightside bierlow in another column. Also Wanted to know if one can get more information on the inmates in 1883 & who may have admitted him to the workhouse in the first place.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions