Search for content in message boards

Proctor and Martin

Proctor and Martin

Posted: 23 Dec 2012 5:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Dec 2012 5:56AM GMT
Hi, am looking for some clues and hope someone might have a suggestion or idea.

1. The 1842 WI census shows a Rebecca Martin in Union twp, Rock county. I can't find her anywhere else. Hoping someone will have a suggestion as to where else I might look. I have pretty much looked in all the obvious places. Don't see her in 1840 or 1850 census.

2. My ancestors, John Proctor, 1801, VA and his wife, Julia Emma (Martin) Proctor, 1822, OH are shown in the 1850 census in both Dane and Rock counties. Dane's census was dated a week before the Rock census. I know John bought land in Dane in 1848 and is in the 1855 WI census in Dane. So I am confused as to why it appears they were living in Rock - especially since I have not been able to find them owning any property in Rock - they were farmers and maybe were just renting. I am trying to place them in Rock county but not having much luck.
They are on page 10 on the Dane census and page 13 for Rock.
I can't find them in the 1840 census from OH to WI. Any thoughts someone might have as to where else to look will be appreciated. I have also looked in all the obvious places - WI historical society, biographies for both counties, etc.
Thanks

Re: Proctor and Martin

Posted: 23 Dec 2012 7:00AM GMT
Edited: 23 Dec 2012 8:21PM GMT
1. I assume if Rebecca Martin appeared in the 1842 territorial census that she was the head of household. About how old was she? Could she have died? Could she have married and changed her name? Could she have moved elsewhere?

2. Dane and Rock counties border each other. Perhaps his property straddled the county line. What do the two 1850 census entries say about the value of his real estate? The most obvious place to look would be property records (not online, but microfilmed).

Posted: 23 Dec 2012 6:42PM GMT
I don't know anything about this Rebecca. Julia Martin Proctor's mother was Rebecca (Squire) Martin and she and her husband, Uri Martin, disappear after the 1820 census. So, I was wondering if this Rebecca could possibly be "mine" since her daughter is living in the area. That's why I was hoping someone might have a suggestion as to where else to look for her.

Re: Proctors, good point about the real estate - will look at that. Thank you. And yes, I figured the microfilmed info would be the next step. Just have never done that before so have been dragging my feel a little:).
Is there any way to tell on the 1850 census where they lived in Rock county? I didn't see anything but I am still a novice and learning things - slowly, it sometimes seems:)
Thanks again.

Posted: 23 Dec 2012 8:20PM GMT
You could check cemetery indexes for Rebecca Martin. Some can be found here: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wirock/ And check FindAGrave. There are also printed indexes for some area cemeteries that are available at local libraries. (See: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wircgs/RCGS_PUB.html ) If you're not in the area (as I'm not), you could try to find a volunteer to check them out for you.

1850 census - At the top of each page it should say "Free Inhabitants in _____________". There it will list the town, village or city enumerated on that page. You may want to check to see if they were enumerated in towns that are on the county line. You can find a couple of old plat maps of Rock County here: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wircgs/ An old plat map of Dane County showing towns is here: http://www.danecountyhistory.org/1873plat/1873plat.html Contemporary maps showing town boundaries are here: http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/maps/county.htm

Property records - Researching property records is a two-step process. First you need to look at the Grantor and Grantee indexes. These list all the property transactions by the Grantor's (seller's) or Grantee's (buyer's) names. These indexes are compiled in alphabetical sections - All the names beginning with A are in one section, those with B in the next, etc., but within each section the names are not alphabetized. Each entry will list the date, property description, and the volume in which the actual transaction is recorded. With that info, you can then get the microfilm for the volume(s) listed. If you aren't familiar with the township platting system, you might want to look into that before you start researching the property records. Here's a good start: http://www.lhaasdav.com/land/publicdomain.html

Posted: 24 Dec 2012 12:27AM GMT
Thanks. Both 1850 censuses don't have a value of RE for John Proctor. Looked at land grant records and found his records in both Dane and then Sauk where they moved for 1860 census, but nothing in Rock.
A son of John Proctor was mentioned in his father in law's bio and it stated he, John jr, was born in Rock. Other accounts have him born in Dane near Dunkirk Dam area. This was in 1844 and can't find any birth records, so far.
So that is partly why I'm thinking they might have lived in Rock before moving on to Dane. Then the Rebecca Martin that might be related also makes me think that way.
Thanks again.

Posted: 24 Dec 2012 12:27AM GMT
Thanks. Both 1850 censuses don't have a value of RE for John Proctor. Looked at land grant records and found his records in both Dane and then Sauk where they moved for 1860 census, but nothing in Rock.
A son of John Proctor was mentioned in his father in law's bio and it stated he, John jr, was born in Rock. Other accounts have him born in Dane near Dunkirk Dam area. This was in 1844 and can't find any birth records, so far.
So that is partly why I'm thinking they might have lived in Rock before moving on to Dane. Then the Rebecca Martin that might be related also makes me think that way.
Thanks again.

Posted: 24 Dec 2012 1:21AM GMT
Edited: 24 Dec 2012 1:34AM GMT
Do you mean land grant records or property records? Land grants are the transfer/sale of lands from the federal government to individuals, i.e., the initial sale of a parcel of land transfering it from government ownership to private ownership. Subsequent sales, e.g., from one individual to another are found in local property records, not online. If John Proctor bought land in Rock County from an individual, you won't find it in land grant records.

BMDs are rare around that time. Have you checked the territorial censuses for Proctors before 1850?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic