Search for content in message boards

FTM 2012 and spiking CPU levels when typing Notes

FTM 2012 and spiking CPU levels when typing Notes

Posted: 25 Feb 2014 3:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
When typing Notes in FTM 2012 under the Person tab, there are times when the letters typed do not appear in that field for up to 10 seconds later. It appears that during this time, the CPU of my laptop spikes to near 100%. I have Windows 8.1 and use the Windows 7 compatibility setting. I have an Intel Pentium II processor equivalent, at least from what I read online, and have 4GB of memory. Why is this happening? I compact my database and defrag regularly. I have Windows Defender and have removed all unnecessary processes from my laptop. Is this happening to anyone else?
Thanks.

Re: FTM 2012 and spiking CPU levels when typing Notes

Posted: 25 Feb 2014 5:52PM GMT
I'm on Windows 7, 8GB memory, good spec PC and yes typing in Notes can be an absolute pain. What I've typed sometimes doesn't even come up, or only partially. I haven't checked CPU use while this is going on, though. Maybe I will do so shortly and report back.

Re: FTM 2012 and spiking CPU levels when typing Notes

Posted: 25 Feb 2014 9:18PM GMT
Unfortunately, FTM 2012 is a known memory hog. The switch to FTM 2014 alleviates part of this, as does regular compacting etc, but FTM 2014 seems to have its own issues as a quick review of this Board shows.
Bo
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions