Search for content in message boards

Closing FTM takes longer since update

Closing FTM takes longer since update

Posted: 28 Feb 2014 1:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have noticed since the latest update that if I close FTM 2014 then try to restart it, it begins to initialise, then Windows Vista intervenes and kills it. Waiting a while then restarting will bring the program up, but with no file selected, and it instructs you to compact the file because FTM was closed abnormally. It appears that you now need to wait 3 to 4 minutes after closing down before it will start up again cleanly. In the past I could wait 30 seconds or so and it would re-start. It would be helpful if the program displayed a closing dialog until it was ready to finish. Anyone else experienced this, or is it a Vista problem?

Chris.

Re: Closing FTM takes longer since update

Posted: 28 Feb 2014 2:56PM GMT
I'm using Vista and haven't had that problem.

My problem is that I think my system w/ Vista is showing its age and/or FTM2014 + the latest patch has become a bit more bloated. Probably a combination of both.

Rosemary

Posted: 1 Mar 2014 10:05AM GMT
chris_nicaby omment

"I have noticed since the latest update that if I close FTM 2014 then try to restart it, it begins to initialise, then Windows Vista intervenes and kills it. Waiting a while then restarting will bring the program up, but with no file selected, and it instructs you to compact the file because FTM was closed abnormally. It appears that you now need to wait 3 to 4 minutes after closing down before it will start up again cleanly. In the past I could wait 30 seconds or so and it would re-start. It would be helpful if the program displayed a closing dialog until it was ready to finish. Anyone else experienced this, or is it a Vista problem?

Chris.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chris

I had this same exact problem with Windows XP and it seemed to start happening after the last update

It didn't seem to do any harm to FTM 2014 nor my data base. It, however was frustrating. It also did not happen every single time I tried to bring up the program the first time for the day, but it did happen most of most of the time. In my case it just stopped initializing, with no messages or anything.

When I clicked on my FTM 2014 icon the second time I got the exact message you describe

I just bought a new computer that will have Microsoft 8.1 as the operating system and am in the process of installing it, so I do not know what will happen as far as this issue goes when I Initialize FTM 2014 for the first time. I am hoping/counting on it going away

Posted: 1 Mar 2014 2:16PM GMT
Does it make a difference if you close your data file before you close FTM?
I've been doing that because I have several files I work with and do not always want to work in the same file, so waiting for the last one used to open is a waste of time.

It seems to speed up the process of both closing and starting FTM for me.

Posted: 1 Mar 2014 10:32PM GMT
When closing a FTM file one will see a flash on the screen. When this has happened the file is saved and maybe even a backup has been made. Depending on the size, it just may take longer for this action to complete.

I think, if one was to wait until this flash happens, then one can open FTM again, not, then FTM will wait until the actions have completed and then continue to open.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic