Search for content in message boards

Gustaf Henrik Hvass born in Sweden

Gustaf Henrik Hvass born in Sweden

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 8:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Jan 2013 8:43PM GMT
Hi
My name is Harriet Hellberg living in Sweden and my grandmother had an cousin by name Gustaf Henrik Hvass, born 22 april 1862 in Näs Ånimskog Älvsborg county in Sweden,he was Wholesaler and Disponent and he would be living in Australia according to a will from 1926 on his brother Thorbjorn Hvass.
I know of a source that Gustaf Henrik Hvass was wanted for forgery and therefore escaped overseas.
He was married(22 april 1892) to Julia Hagman born 27 june 1865 in Hässjö Västernorrlands län. I have no clue when he he went abroad, but maybe about 1893 and forward somewhat. He could possible have been in Kapstaden South Africa at the first place from an assumption of the source I have, and in his brother's will, from 1926, he would have lived somewhere in Australia. I attach 2 file, I hope you can use google translate to get a hint. My best/ Harriet Hellberg

it was apparently not send two files at once, so here comes the second /Harriet
Attachments:

Re: Gustaf Henrik Hvass born in Sweden

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 9:39AM GMT
Edited: 31 Jan 2013 9:39AM GMT
Australian records are not held in a central place,each of 6 states and 2 territories hold individual records,so if you have any indication where Gustaf lived will be helpful.I have checked a couple of states for his death with no result,though many people at the time anglicised their name to fit in.

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 10:13AM GMT
Thank you. Unfortunately, I have no clear destination, but I might have to try to find out a bit more through his brother's will, there may be a clue there, they must have had an address because they knew he was living in Australia. But I may come back in the future, if I can provide any clue. sincerely Harriet

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 10:45AM GMT
Hi Harriet

I had a look at the National Archives site - there is no record of naturalization there.

There is no record of a birth, death or marriage in WA.

I agree he may have changed his name to make it sound less foreign.

Good luck!

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 10:50AM GMT

This information is not about your Gustaf Henrik Hvass, but the family name and birthplace sound like it might be of some interest to you?.

Applications for naturalisation from 1901 are matter for Australian government. From National Archives of Australian files -

application for naturalisastion in 1904 by Edward HVASS, cabinetmaker, 51 years old, born 17 April 1853, Aalborg, Denmark, arrived Sydney 28 Nov 1886 SS Hapsburg.
Married with wife, two sons and one daughter. He has lived all the time in New South Wales.

New South Wales Births, Deaths and Marriage online index

2615/1927 death Edward HVASS
father Jane P, mother Netta K GLEBE

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 10:52AM GMT
This site has digitised newspapers from across the country,i put in Hvass and had plenty of hits,just a matter of working through them.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper?q=

Ang: Re: Gustaf Henrik Hvass born in Sweden

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 1:15PM GMT
fryerning Thank you for answer.he maybe changed his lastname to Anderson too, who knows. His fathers name was Anders.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic