Search for content in message boards

FTM 2014 Upgrade Pricing

FTM 2014 Upgrade Pricing

Posted: 28 Feb 2014 3:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Has anyone from Canada managed to find out anything about an offer of an upgrade price for FTM 2014 to current users of FTM? I contacted ancestry.ca (10 Dec 2013) and was told the upgrade pricing offer was not available in Canada, but they were "aware of the demand for the upgrade from our Canadian members." Later I called the support phone number and was told there was a button missing from the "Shop" page, and to try in a couple of days. Checked in a couple of days... nothing. Called a week later, same excuse. Called a couple of weeks later, and got dark hints of "something ugly" going on, but no upgrade button, no info on the website about the status of upgrade pricing... absolutely nothing. I called Nova Development and they said the pricing was done by ancestry, they just fulfilled the orders. Tried ancestry.ca yesterday, got the same non-committal answers, and a suggestion that us being part of the International Division might be the reason (nope, the Brits have upgrade pricing). That they don't know what's going on just beggars belief.

So, here we are, the end of Feb 2014. Seems like everyone else in the world gets an upgrade price, but not us. I know we are the guinea pig for all electronic products, no hardcopy (discs, books)... are they testing the willingness of current owners to buy at the full price if an upgrade price is not offered?

How many Canadians out there have given up waiting and bought FTM 2014 at full price? Who's still waiting for upgrade pricing? Any info on your experience with this issue will be welcomed.

John

John

Re: FTM 2014 Upgrade Pricing

Posted: 28 Feb 2014 4:34PM GMT
Edited: 28 Feb 2014 4:37PM GMT
As far as I can remember there has NEVER been an "Upgrade" price other than the early purchase of the program, as it is priced now at the Ancestry web page.

See http://www.ancestry.com/cs/apps/P-5194
This price most likely is not going to stick around much longer, as the product hits the selves of the retailers then Ancestry price will be the suggested retail price.

Posted: 28 Feb 2014 6:10PM GMT
Thanks David, that's a useful perspective. The Brits advertise an "Upgrade Version" but on conversion of the GBP to Canadian dollars I see it's just a couple of dollars less than our offered price. It does seem odd that someone who bought the 2012 version, and already has a full Ancestry.com membership, and therefore doesn't need any free access along with the FTM software, has to pay the same price as someone who is buying the product for the first time. This was also confused by the support staff telling me there should be an "Upgrade Info" button on the "Buy" page, which never in fact appeared.

I have always bought the new version as soon as it was announced in the past. Was the advance purchase option for FTM 2014 made available to anyone other than Americans? Since they have a database of all registered users of FTM, if there is an offer, we should receive email notice. Did I miss something?

I suppose if it's usual for the price to go up once the product hits the stores I might as well bite the bullet and buy it. I've been looking forward to the new features, and I seem to be flogging a dead horse.

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Attachments:

Posted: 28 Feb 2014 9:18PM GMT
Was the advance purchase option for FTM 2014 made available to anyone other than Americans? I do NOT know, all I know is that the $39.00 USD price is still up at Ancestry, I would get the CD if you can, or make sure that you save to CD or some removable device a copy of the downloaded file(s)

Since they have a database of all registered users of FTM, if there is an offer, we should receive email notice.
Did I miss something? They will and have always extended one's subscription the amount of Free time that comes with each new version. Just give them Ancestry (Family Tree Maker) support an call and they will extend your subscription.

Posted: 28 Feb 2014 11:01PM GMT
The extension of my subscription by the amount that comes with FTM 2014 is well worth knowing, about, thanks for that tip David.

We here in Canada are the guinea pig for "all digital downloads", so we cannot get CDs, physical books, etc. Apparently if things go well here, that process will be rolled out to other countries. Even before this latest upgrade, in the last couple of years or so it always seemed impossible for us to get a physical copy of the FTM manual.

I've already backup up the downloaded installer on a separate drive. I think charging $7 to cover any re-downloading after 30 days on a $40 product is outrageous, but there you go.

I also hear that if you replace your computer, or it crashes, and you're already using your 2 installs, you're out of luck (is this true?). There's no excuse for that, as other products I have with multi-seat licenses let you register a de-install from one computer and a re-install on another. Perhaps this will all be sorted out in time.

Time to do some reading about the new features before I start playing with 2014...

Re: FTM 2014 Upgrade Pricing - UPDATE

Posted: 28 Feb 2014 11:42PM GMT
Edited: 28 Feb 2014 11:45PM GMT
UPDATE

I do not believe this! A couple of hours after finally giving in and buying FTM 2014 for $39.99, I did a Google on "new features ftm 2014" and I got a link the the Shop page of ancestry.ca. This is not what you see if you enter ancestry.ca and then navigate to the Shop page, which still just shows the one Buy button. The attached image is what I found at the Google link to the Shop page, after I clicked on the Upgrade Info button. I just corresponded with the ancestry.ca support people about the upgrade issue... could they not have given me a tip to just wait a day or two? Arghhh!
Attachments:

Posted: 1 Mar 2014 1:54AM GMT
John,
"Question" I think charging $7 to cover any re-downloading after 30 days on a $40 product is outrageous, but there you go.

This is the "Third Party" that is charging this. If you Copy the download to a CD then there is NO need to pay the extra for another download within 30 days. Besides what is one going to do after the 30 days are up. buy another copy. NO way that is why one needs to burn the CD of the download file.

"Question" I also hear that if you replace your computer, or it crashes, and you're already using your 2 installs, you're out of luck (is this true?).

You can install FTM on two machines with out questions. This is normally one desktop and one laptop. But do not get the extra "Free subscription" time. You can install FTM as many time as you want or need to on the same machines, or even a new one as long as you remove it from the "OLD" machine. Ancestry do not have much of a tracking method of installs since they do not use Key Codes. You would need to register each install to get the access to the subscription account.

Since I do a lot of testing of OS, hardware and other programs, I have install FTM on many machines many times. I have one machine with 4 versions of FTM on it.

Re: FTM 2014 Upgrade Pricing - UPDATE 2 - We're Entitled to the Upgrade Pricing

Posted: 1 Mar 2014 8:26PM GMT
I called the customer support number today to ask about a quick way to update all media links when you move your Genealogy folder with all your trees in it. After dealing with that issue (sort of) I asked the rep if she had access to the google search engine. I had her find the same ancestry.ca upgrade offer page I had run across yesterday, only accessible via a web search or typing in the URL, NOT thru navigating ancestry.ca to the Shop page. It was only at this point I realized that she was in the U.S. (I guess the Canadian support group shuts down on the weekend). She talked to a supervisor and said we in Canada are supposed to have access to the upgrade offer (well how about that?) and that to compensate me for buying at the full price they would credit me with another month on my subscription, along with the month I got for buying FTM 2014 (as long as I remember to call them just before my current subscription runs out in October). I wonder how long it will take to get that new webpage linked into ancestry.ca?

Re: FTM 2014 Upgrade Pricing - UPDATE 2 - We're Entitled to the Upgrade Pricing

Posted: 1 Mar 2014 10:00PM GMT
Call sales and they should be able to extend your subscription now.
I have never had to wait tell the time my subscription was due.

Posted: 1 Mar 2014 11:33PM GMT
After reading all the horror stories about problems with FTM 2014, maybe you should consider yourselves lucky.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic