George W. Triplett, Lawyer, was born February 18, 1809 in Franklin County, Ky. His great-grandfather, John Triplett was a surveyor in Virginia, and held a commission under George III, and, with five of his sons, participated in the Revolutionary War. His father, Hedgeman Triplett, one of the five brothers, was a lieutenant in the Continental army and was a native of Culpeper County; married Nancy Popham, removed to Kentucky in 1794, remained for several years in Scott County, and afterward settled in Franklin, where he died in 1837. His son, George W. Triplett, received his early education under the best teachers then in the country, and afterward became a fair scholar. In 1827, he began school teaching; was subsequently deputy County Surveyor for some years; in 1833, removed his family to Daviess County where he engaged in farming and surveying, from 1836 to 1840, carried on a wood-yard at Bon Harbor, near Owensboro; held the office of County Surveyor for 17 years; was elected to the Legislature in 1840; in 1848, was elected to the State Senate, and wa a Whig in politics. In 1861, he entered the Confederate service; was for three years connected with the Army of the Tennessee; was a Captain in the First Kentucky Cavalry; was afterward promoted major, and served on the staff of Gen. Helm, and subsequently occupied the same position under Generals Breckinridge and Forrest, distinguishing himself as a brave and faithful officer. In 1864, he was elected member of the Confederate Congress and continued in that capacity until the close of the war. After the cessation of hostilities, he returned to Owensboro, and was chosen Judge of Daviess County and still occupies that position. He is identified with the Democratic party and is a man of great strength and probity of character, and is deservedly held in high esteem by the community. Judge Triplett was married, October 18, 1827, to Miss Amelia A. Head. He has six children, some of whom are active business men of Owensboro.
The Biographical Encyclopedia of Kentucky, J. M. Armstrong & Company, 1878.