Search for content in message boards

Cotton Family Switzerland Co. Indiana 1800's

Cotton Family Switzerland Co. Indiana 1800's

Posted: 19 May 2006 8:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cotton, Redd, Todd
Looking for sourced information on Nathaniel Cotton and Hannah Todd Redd and their children Christine or Christiana Cotton and a sister whose name is possibly Hannah Smith Cotton. Most family histories have Cristine as 'Christian' and as a male instead of female. The Redds (Mordecai and Hannah) lived close to Nathaniel Cotton in Switzerland Co. in 1820 US Census. Nathaniel married Hannah Redd in 1824. 1830 US Census has 2 girls under 5 in their household. One of the girls is certainly Christine who was born in 1829. Any sourced info is appreciated. TIA

Re: Cotton Family Switzerland Co. Indiana 1800's

Posted: 8 Jul 2006 3:20PM GMT
George I have got some information on your NATHANIEL COTTON and his family.
If you could email me at creese@sw.rr.com
NATHANIEL had a brother JOHN that married into my BLACKWELL family.
NATHANIEL and his brother JOHN went to ARKANSAS.
Cynthia

Posted: 27 Sep 2006 6:59PM GMT
Nathaniel Cotton was the son of Ralph Cotton and Elizabeth Ktichen. He was born on 7th April 1783. He is in the census records as follows:

In the 1820 census for Cotton Township, Switzerland County, Indiana (Roll: M33-14, Page: 174, Image: 1 of 5) shows Nathaniel Cotton between twenty-six and forty-five. He has two boys under ten and one boy between ten and sixteen. There are three girls under the age of ten and one daughter between ten and sixteen. There is no wife in the household.

By the 1830 census for Switzerland County, Indiana (Roll: 32, Page: 33, Image: 11 of 96) shows Nathaniel Cotton on line 2 with his family. Nathaniel is between forty and fifty years old (47 according to his birth). There are three boys in the household between ten and fifteen, one male between twenty and thirty. Two girls are under the age of five. One female is between ten and fifteen. One female between fifteen and twenty. One female between twenty and thirty. One female between forty and fifty years old.

By 1840 census for Vevay Township, Switzerland County, Indiana (Roll: 94; Page: 140, Image: 9 of 24) shows Nathaniel Cotton on the fourth line. He is between fifty and sixty years old. There are two girls in the household between ten and fifteen years old. One female between forty and fifty years old.

By the 1850 census for Jefferson Township, Switzerland County, Indiana (Roll: M432-174, Page: 419, Image: 42 of 78, 22nd of August, Line: 1, Dwelling/Family: 307/307) shows Nathaniel Cotton at the age of sixty-seven years old. He is a farmer but doesnot list real estate. He was supposed by born in Pennsylvania. Since he was born when Ralph was on rendezvous for the American Revolution in Pennsylvania in 1781 it is possible that he was born in Pennsylvania. His wife, Hannah is sixty-five and also listed as being born in Pennsylvania. They only have one daughter in their household now. Christina is twenty-one years old and born in Indiana. Hannah's son, Haws Redd is listed on the next line with his family.

In the 1860 census he and Hannah are living with Christina and her husband John Scofield.

I am related to Nathaniel through his brother - Ralph Cotton Jr. Since Nathaniel is shown to have at least eight children - there a large number of children unaccounted for in family histories.

Posted: 28 Sep 2006 2:34AM GMT
Thank you Maggie. I had most of the census information but did not know of Nathaniel's parents or siblings. Can you fill me in on them, along with your sources? You may reply to me at geo3deb@netscape.net or via this board. TIA.

Posted: 28 Sep 2006 1:48PM GMT
There are four major sources besides our Cotton family history which is an undocumented source. First, Wanda Moford's book Switzerland County, Indiana Cemetery Inscriptions 1817 - 1985. Second, Switzerland County, Indiana marriage records and bonds (also consent slips). Third, several Switzerland Court legal cases. Fourth, the census records.

In the 1820 census Nathaniel Cotton has three sons and three daughters. Ann Adams died on the 20th March 1820 and is buried in the Cotton Cemetery. Her oldest daughter - Elizabeth (Martha) Cotton was born 05 October 1806. She married on the 17th of March 1823 in Switzerland County, Indiana to Carlisle Stout. Elizabeth died on the 29 March 1881 and is buried beside her husband (born 9 January 1800 and died 17 January 1880) in the Zion Cemetery, Bennington, Switzerland County, Indiana.

There are two sons buried in the Cotton Cemetery which I need to take pictures of their tombstones because the cemetery book reads as follows:
Hiram, son of Nathaniel & Ann, died Aug. 3, 1820 aged 2 years (stone down).
Hiram, son of Nathaniel & Ann, d. Jul. 30 1842 aged 23 y 6m 8 d.
(Believe that the first son might have been only two months old or 2 days old when he died.

Isabelle (named after Ann's sister) born 18 January 1816. Married on the 19 April 1831 Switzerland County, Indiana to George W. Tague. Died 25 Apr 1833 and buried in the Cotton Cemetery.

I do not have any indication of Christeann's sister by Hannah Todd Redd. I have her half brothers and sisters of the Hannah Todd Redd from a law suit filed against her by them.

I need to check my sources on the other children before I list them. The marriage records, bonds and consent slips are in the Vevay Court House and can be gotten from them. Many hours were spent there using my vacation time copying the information when I would visit family in Vevay. Wanda's book is not available since Wanda's death. But all that I quoted from her book was on page 94 except for Isabelle's grave information is on page 97 and Elizabeth's grave information is on page 365.
Hope this is some help. Can I ask were you got Christeann's sister's name of Hannah Smith Cotton? I will hunt through my material for a marriage since there is no indication that she died unmarried. What I am trying to say is that there is no gravestone in the Cotton cemetery for her and Nathaniel and Ann seem to put up tombstones for their children.

Hannah Smith Cotton

Posted: 28 Sep 2006 5:52PM GMT
Thanks again, Maggie. I found the name Hannah Smith Cotton in several databases in the RootsWeb WorldConnect Project. Her name did not appear with adequate sources so I have not added her to my WorldConnect database (geo3deb). I included her name in the message board in the hopes of making a connection or finding adequate source information to include her.

My wife is descended from Christine Cotton through her daughter Hannah P. Scofield. Hannah married Jacob Weaver. We found Hannah P. Scofield Weaver's information in old handwritten documents written by Jacob Weaver's sister ca 1910.

With your permission I will add the information you have provided quoting your research as the source.

Re: Hannah Smith Cotton

Posted: 29 Sep 2006 1:34AM GMT
George:
Please feel free to use the information that I have sent you through this message board. I personally believe that any material posted on a message board becomes public domain. I admit that when I was working on writing the Thomson/Muir book from Switzerland County and Wood County, Ohio that I did not put any of my research on the internet.
Right now my Mother and I are just getting all of our Cotton material together.
So please feel free to use the material but please source not only the sources that I sited but also that I gave this to you. Thank you. Maggie

Posted: 13 Jan 2007 3:38AM GMT
Attached is the minister return found in the Switzerland County Indiana Historical Society files. It is the minister return for Hannah Cotton and her marriage to John J. Paul. The return is dated on the 5th of April, 1849 by H. Wason minister of the gospel in Switzerland County.
Hope this helps.
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic