Search for content in message boards

looking for family of great uncle, (John )Owen Tully (or Oliver), in Australia

looking for family of great uncle, (John )Owen Tully (or Oliver), in Australia

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 6:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Feb 2013 6:55PM GMT
Surnames: Tully, Oliver, Grogan
My great uncle, Owen Tully (born c. 1857)of Ireland, stayed in England (Lancashire?)after doing some seasonal work with his father(c.1873). Parents were Patrick and Margaret (Grogan) Tully, of Cornacartha, South of Ballyhaunis, Co Mayo. His next younger sister was Catherine. Word has it he participated in the Boar War (with British military), and eventually emigrated to Australia (probably early 1900's). It was said that he changed his name to John Oliver, or maybe John Owen Tully. (He may have married someone named Phoebe in England.) Would love to hear from anyone who may know something about my great uncle. Thank you!

Re: looking for family of great uncle, (John )Owen Tully (or Oliver), in Australia

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 10:06PM GMT
Hi,
Have you tried following him through UK census etc?

Name: John Owen Tully
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1859
Relation: Servant
Where born: Ireland
Civil parish: Newton
County/Island: Lancashire

Household Members: Name Age
Alice Oliver 41
Eliza Mills 15
John Owen Tully 22

1891 England Census
about John O Tulley Name: John O Tulley
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1862
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Phebe A Tulley
Civil parish: Newton
Ecclesiastical parish: Newton All Saints

John O Tulley 29
Phebe A Tulley 22
Annie Tulley 1
John I Tulley 0

Name: John O Tully
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1861
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Phoebe Tully
Civil parish: North Manchester
Ecclesiastical parish: Newton Heath All Saints

John O Tully 40
Phoebe Tully 32
Annie Tully 11
John Tully 10
Mary Tully 6
Lawrence Tully 5
Phoebe Tully 8 Months

Name: John Owen Tulley
Age in 1911: 49
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1862
Relation to Head: Head
Birth Place: Ballysarness, Mayo, Ireland
Civil parish: North Manchester

John Owen Tulley 49
Phoebe Tulley 42
Annie Tulley 21
John Owen Tulley 20
Mary Gertrude Tulley 16
Margrete Phoebe Tulley 10
Cathleen Tulley 6
Austin Tulley 4
Florence Tulley 9/12

Kellie

Re: looking for family of great uncle, (John )Owen Tully (or Oliver), in Australia

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 10:25PM GMT
Hi,
If that is your guy he married Phoebe in 1889
Marriages Jun 1889
Lynam Phoebe Ann Prestwich 8d 607
Tulley John Owen Prestwich 8d 607

There is a possible death for Phoebe in 1946
Tulley Phoebe A 77 Manchester 8d 429

Maybe John/Owen in 1931
Tulley Owen 72 W.Ham
OR better still this one in 1928
Tulley John O 64 Manchester S. 8d

Why do you think he came to Australia?
Have you searched for marriages/deaths for his children to see if they remained in England?

Kellie

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 10:30PM GMT
Hi Kellie,
Thanks very much for the info. I had seen 2 of the censuses you sent but not the 1911 one. I took the name Phoebe from the 1901 census but don't know if this is correct. He was from the Ballyhaunis RC Parish, Co Mayo, so that fits (spelling wrong on census). I wish his parents names were given somewhere -- maybe a marriage record? The ships lists to Australia are full of people with the variations of his name so that didn't help me. So, do you have any other ideas for me? Thanks very much for your help!! Looking forward to hearing from you again! Cindy

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 10:45PM GMT
Hi,
Where/when did his father Patrick die or did he have a brother Patrick?
There is a probate/will for a Patrick TULLY of Doon County Meath died 19th Feb 1924 that leaves 'effects' to Owen TULLY (farmer) England.

I'm not sure what info would be included on a 1889 marriage cert for England,,but it might be worth while finding out. If parents names are included it might be worth purchasing the cert to see if he is definately yours or not.

Kellie

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 9:37PM GMT
Hi Kellie, this is interesting stuff you're sending me! I did check marriage records for John Owen yesterday and saw there was one in 1889. I didn't see the one for Phoebe, and also didn't find the deaths you found. I think I will have to order the marriage record because it's supposed to have parents names on it, then I will know for sure! I haven't gotten to checking for marriages/deaths of this children yet. About Australia, this was information that got passed down in the family but maybe it's not true! So, I will send for the marriage record and let you know. I don't know how long it takes to get it. (The Patrick Tully in Meath isn't right. He had a younger brother named Patrick who emigrated to the U.S. He supposedly settled in Calif. eventually but I don't have much info about him either. ( Another one to look for!) Thanks again for your help. Please let me know if you find anything else! Gratefully, Cindy

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 9:39PM GMT
Hi Kellie, this is interesting stuff you're sending me! I did check marriage records for John Owen yesterday and saw there was one in 1889. I didn't see the one for Phoebe, and also didn't find the deaths you found. I think I will have to order the marriage record because it's supposed to have parents names on it, then I will know for sure! I haven't gotten to checking for marriages/deaths of this children yet. About Australia, this was information that got passed down in the family but maybe it's not true! So, I will send for the marriage record and let you know. I don't know how long it takes to get it. (The Patrick Tully in Meath isn't right. He had a younger brother named Patrick who emigrated to the U.S. He supposedly settled in Calif. eventually but I don't have much info about him either. ( Another one to look for!) Thanks again for your help. Please let me know if you find anything else! Gratefully, Cindy

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 4:24AM GMT
Surnames: Tully family of India
Tully Family of India,

Do u have any family members who married to George Speechly, in India if so please do get in touch with me. This is my private email address[ ljb48@bigpond.com]
Many thinks
Lesley
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions