Search for content in message boards

House of Refuge

House of Refuge

Posted: 28 May 2011 10:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lucas
In the 1870 Census for the City of St. Louis Done 22 Aug 1870 Subdivion 2 pg 362(previous & continued pgs)I have found the person I need( A Lucas stands for Abraham) but there is a confusing statement written in sideways saying that it is a House of Refuge and that the children will not grow up apparently healthy if they are fed prison food.
Can someone tell me what this place was and why it might have such a statement.
Your help would be appreciated as it might clear up why Abraham is so hard to find before 1870..

Re: House of Refuge

Posted: 30 May 2011 8:56PM GMT
I had not heard of this institution before, ( and I'm still not sure where it was located) but it appears that it was a state-chartered reform school type institution. The St. Louis Genealogical Society appears to have some of their records, which may be helpful to you.

http://www.stlgs.org/index.php?option=com_stlgssearch&vi...

Posted: 31 May 2011 3:13AM GMT
Edited: 31 May 2011 3:06PM GMT
Actually the census taker was a wannabe poet/philosopher :
"This is the House of Refuge for children young and small
And if they stay here very long and feed on prison fare
They'll lose their strength and manliness and grow up tall and spare"
See GoogleBooks (free)---"The Dead End Kids of St. Louis :
Homeless Boys and the People Who Tried to Save Them"
start w/p. 58, but it's interesting before + after.
Listed in various STL City Directories @ Ancestry.com.
Also, the "Annual Report of the House of Refuge, 1893"--p.41
The "Genealogy in St. Louis" site has a good explanation.
1908 Sanborn Fire Ins. Map = "St. Louis Industrial School",
located On Louisiana Ave., bet. Gasconade & Osage.

Posted: 31 May 2011 2:31PM GMT
You can view a brief historical sketch of the House of Refuge in Hyde and Conard's "Encyclopedia of the History of St. Louis" (published in 1899): http://contentdm.mohistory.org/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/l...

In the left-hand margin, click on the "click to browse pages" link. Then click on page 1063.

The Missouri History Museum Archives (St. Louis) holds a record book of the journal of commitments to the House of Refuge, 1854-1899. This record book is indexed on the St. Louis Genealogical Society website: http://www.stlgs.org/index.php?option=com_stlgssearch&vi...
If you find a name in this index that interests you, contact me to request a copy of the page from the journal of commitments.

Dennis Northcott
Missouri History Museum Library and Research Center
dpn@mohistory.org

Posted: 3 Jun 2011 1:35AM GMT
Thank you so much! I'll get back to you ASAP

Posted: 3 Jun 2011 1:40AM GMT
Surnames: Lucas
I have received so much wonderful information which I am sure!!!!! will get us going on Abe(Abraham). I can't thank you enough for working so hardd for me.

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 6:35PM GMT
Was this an orphanage?

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 7:09PM GMT
Was this an orphanage? Yes and no. It started out as a reform school but in practice it evolved into an orphange.

"Most homes for dependent children in St. Louis between 1850 and 1870 were church affiliated. The notable exception to this was the House of Refuge, chartered by the State of Missouri in 1851. In theory the House of Refuge was a progressive social reform intended to preserve society’s juvenile offenders from the influence of hardened criminals. In brief, it was a reform school. In practice, the House of Refuge became a residence for indigent and orphaned as well as delinquent boys and girls in St. Louis. The Journal of the House of Refuge for the years 1854 to 1899 may be read at the Missouri Historical Society. The Journal has an alphabetized index. The entry for each resident lists the date of entry, the name, the cause, or by whom placed, the date of departure, to whom released and the relationship, if any."

This is from the website:
http://genealogyinstlouis.accessgenealogy.com/greenwood.htm

David in Pennsylvania

Posted: 2 Mar 2013 7:42PM GMT
There was also a New House of Refuge, United States Army (U.S.A.) General Hospital, in St. Louis during the Civil War.

Posted: 16 Apr 2013 3:30AM GMT
Edited: 16 Apr 2013 3:33AM GMT
Hi,
I believe my ancestor spent some time in this hospital. Is it still around? Is there a way to get records?

Thanks so much.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions