Search for content in message boards

America Hughley

America Hughley

Kenneth Burton (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jan 2003 6:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hughley Rea Gresham Burton

Hello,

My name is Kenneth Burton, and I am doing genealogy research in the Chambers & Tallapoosa Co. Alabama area, and also the West Point Georgia.

My great-great aunt was a lady named America Hughley. the Earliest document I have of her (that I am sure about is a marriage record Jan. 1870 from the Chambers County courthouse of her marriage to a man named Sheppard Gilmer. The are both listed as colored.

On the 1870 Chambers County Alabama Census, America and Shepard Gilmer are listed as black.
I do have subsequent Census records;i.e 1900, 1910, 1920 where she is using her maiden name.

She died Mar 12, 1931 at the age of 80 years. Our oral family history is that she was Native American, but I cannot find any other documents with this sir name. One of her nephews, a man name Zeke Hughley was living in the Nash Township, Muscogee County Oklahoma during the 1920's.

Zeke Hughley Jan 1972 in Tulsa Oklahoma. He was 99 years old.

Re: America Hughley

Jerry McGinty (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jan 2003 4:03PM GMT
You might look at the spelling as Huguley. They were a prominent white family in River View (Valley) before and after the Civil War. At one time, before the war, they had over 100 slaves.

Posted: 25 Jan 2003 10:45PM GMT
Surnames: Huguley Hugly Hughley Hughly Hugely etc. etc. etc.
I am complicated by this scenero. This lady is the sister of my great great grandmother Mary Huguley of whom I have even fewer records. The story is this a Huguley (no relation) married a Huguley. Mary Huguley, the sister of America Huguley married Ezekial Huguley abt. 1864. Mary passed away in 1882-83 giving birth to my great grandmother.
I can trace Ezekial (Zeke) to a possible West Point Georgia birth abt 1845. Of Mary Hughley, I can find no definative records except the US Census Alabama 1870 Chambers Co. , 1880 Tallapoosa Co., and an entry in Tallapoosa Co. Index to Vital Statistics - Births 1882 female child born to Fike and Mary Huguly. America Huguley passed away in Atlanta Ga. in 1931, but the informant on the death certificate did not know much.

The Huguley family has published a book "the Huguley who we are" that's available at the Georgia Archives; but it has not been of much help.

Interestingly I found a posting of the family of Mason & Henrietta Huguley of Monroe Co. Georgia. This family is supposidly white, but among their children are Mary A Huguly b 1842 and America Huguly b. 1852. The birth order and birthdates correspond with my folks who are listed as colored, mulatto, and black on various records I have obtained.

Posted: 15 Dec 2003 8:07PM GMT
Edited: 6 Mar 2004 6:41PM GMT
Surnames: Huguley, Linn, Jones, Brossard
I do not know how much help this is; but, my grandfather was Tolliver H. Huguley his birthday was October 19, 1889, death Oct. 11, 1965, according to my mom he was part of a wealthy family who were plantation owners; he had siblings one who owns a paper in Oklahoma. Mom claims that his family was from Wales, he was a Mason, Engineer of Wabash Cannonball and that he was cheated out of his inheritance by his brothers. He married Ida Green Jones whose father was a brother to John Paul Jones and had a plantation in macon Ga and that General Sherman burned it to the ground during the Civil War....also that the name came from the Hugonots, and that there was native american in our ancestry.

Posted: 15 Dec 2003 11:13PM GMT
Surnames: Hughley Huguley Hugley Hugly etc. etc. etc.
Pat thanks for responding to my enquiry. That's a long time between my last posting on this ancestor and you reply.

Looks like you've been doing a little net searching. I wish you much success.

I gonna print out my posting and replies, and study them, maybe something will jump out that will be of help to me.

Are you familiar with that book about the Hughley's?

Posted: 18 Feb 2007 9:51PM GMT
I understand there is a book about the hughleys. If it is the same hughleys from Opelika, Alabama and Texas please let me know where I can get this book and what it is about. Zeke Hughley was my grandfather but he was born in the mid 1800's. The Zeke Hughley you speak of might be one of his descendents. By the way, the photo of America Hughley is in my family's photo album but I'm unsure of who she is.

Posted: 18 Feb 2007 10:34PM GMT
I'm not familiar with this book, but I have not researched this family. I would contact the Cobb Memorial Archives in Valley , AL, and see what they might have.

Posted: 21 Feb 2007 11:29PM GMT
Surnames: Hughley Rea
my America Hughley (d. 1931) is the Sister-in-law of
Zeke (Ezekial) Hughley b. 1842-45 W. Point Ga. - d. 1924 Tallapoosa Co. Al.

There was a son Zeke who moved to Oklahoma and died in Tulsa around 1980.

America Hughley was fair enough to pass for white but is listed in the various census as colored, mulatto, and black.

She raised my greatgrandmother Caudie Hughley b. 1882 Rea; the story is her sister (my great-great-grandmother) Mary Hughley passed away shortly after giving birth to her.

* The author of the book was from Texas. They were a white family with extensive land holdings in Chambers County Al.

There is a bound copy of the book at the State of Georgia Archives.

The book is a compilation of this family's genealogy and it has some history of Huguley Alabama and the surrounding area.

I'm relatively sure there is some connection of my Afro-American family with this slave holding white family considering the proxcimity of Lafayette, Valley and Huguley Alabama.

Kenny
Attachments:

Posted: 21 Feb 2007 11:49PM GMT
Yes, the Huguley family was very prominent in the Valley, AL. They were also large slave owners. Here's an example from my book:

"After the Civil War, when most of the south was in shambles, this area received some good news. A cotton mill was going to be built both at Campbell's gristmill and Trammell's mill further up the river. Confederate money was worthless, but a few men were fortunate enough to have the financial means to invest in these mills. The Huguley family was the primary investor. It is said that they had considerable cotton in their possession and were able to sell it to British buyers and ship it before it was conscripted by the North. During the war, cotton prices were over $1.00 lb. The Huguleys were said to be from northeast GA and SC and were familiar with the potential that cotton factories held. In 1853, George and Amos Huguley purchased 1,920 acres of land from Milton M. Marcus for $17,000. In 1865, they purchased an additional 143 acres from James Campbell for $2,430, which included three islands in the Chattahoochee River. Part of this land was in GA and is the site where the Riverdale mill was built in River View."

From, "Our McGinty Family in America," by Jerry McGinty

Posted: 22 Feb 2007 10:20PM GMT
my America Hughley (d. 1931) is the Sister-in-law of
Zeke (Ezekial) Hughley b. 1842-45 W. Point Ga. - d. 1924 Tallapoosa Co. Al.

There was a son Zeke who moved to Oklahoma and died in Tulsa around 1980.

America Hughley was fair enough to pass for white but is listed in the various census as colored, mulatto, and black.

She raised my greatgrandmother Caudie Hughley b. 1882 Rea; the story is her sister (my great-great-grandmother) Mary Hughley passed away shortly after giving birth to her.

* The author of the book was from Texas. They were a white family with extensive land holdings in Chambers County Al.

There is a bound copy of the book at the State of Georgia Archives.

The book is a compilation of this family's genealogy and it has some history of Huguley Alabama and the surrounding area.

I'm relatively sure there is some connection of my Afro-American family with this slave holding white family considering the proxcimity of Lafayette, Valley and Huguley Alabama.

Kenny
Attachments:

Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions