Search for content in message boards

Slave plantation in or around Cheneyville, LA?

Slave plantation in or around Cheneyville, LA?

Posted: 6 Mar 2009 1:27AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Crittle
I a looking for some help about plantation. Where would I look for a list of plantation in or around Cheneyville, LA around the time of slavery? My grandfather grandfather was a slave on a plantation in Cheneyville name Oliver "Ollie" Crittle?

Re: Slave plantation in or around Cheneyville, LA?

Posted: 6 Mar 2009 6:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
You might lookup the book Twelve Years a Slave by Solomon Northrup (Amazon.com has the book). This is an excellent and informative book written by Solomon Northup who was a free man who was captured and sold into slavery in 1841 where he remained for twelve years. He lived on several plantations in that area. I am from Central Louisiana and studied this subject in college at Louisiana State University in Alexandria, LA (a couple of decades ago). Sue Eakin was a professor at LSUA at that time and did extensive study and writing on this subject. There is a Solomon Northrup trail in the area that follows Solomon's life during that time period. You might contact the library at LSUA as they might be able to answer your questions or point you in the right direction.

Posted: 6 Mar 2009 8:13PM GMT
Some Plantations near Cheneyville, La.

Loyd Hall Plantation (north of Cheneyville).

Walnut Grove Plantation (East of Cheneyville).

Greenwood Plantation near Cheneyville. Owned by Stafford family. General Leroy Stafford was born there and died in Civil War.

Posted: 7 Mar 2009 2:20PM GMT
There is a Annie Crittle buried in First Edgefield Cemetery in Cheneyville. There are no dates on her headstone.

Posted: 10 Mar 2009 9:44AM GMT
Surnames: Crittle
Thank for the info on the plantation and Annie Crittle is next to Seleania Crittle Johnson - 10 Jun 1910/26 Sep 1968. I know who Seleania is but she had a mother sister and aunt name Annie Crittle but I read some where that Seleania sisters married name was Eden (Ann Eden 1907-1986) but the date of birth don't match?

Johnson, Seleania - 10 Jun 1910/26 Sep 1968

Crittle?, Annie - [handlettered, no information]

Williams, Leroy - 1886/1946

Eden, Ann - ?1907/1986? [funeral marker]

Posted: 18 Oct 2009 1:02AM GMT
Surnames: Crittle, Johnson
Hi,

I wonder if we are related. My grandmother was Seleania Crittle Johnson. Are you related to this part of the family?

Posted: 22 Oct 2009 12:56PM GMT
Yes I am!!!

Posted: 27 Feb 2010 6:24AM GMT
Yes and Please come and join our family group on Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=49157933282

or email me at mrcriddle@gmmail.com

Posted: 15 Dec 2010 2:39AM GMT
Surnames: Crittle,Criddle
Hey are you still Out there I would like to talk to you?

Posted: 7 Mar 2011 9:55PM GMT
Surnames: Johnson, Martin
I'm looking for some information about my family from this area with the last name of Johnson.
My grandfather's fathers name was Stephen Johnson and I know that his families were slaves in this area any chance there is a connection?
My great grandfather – Stephen Johnson B 1877 (in or around Rapides LA)
His Mother was Betsy Martin (I’m not sure if this was his birth mother) Born about 1853 in this area of LA.
I’m looking for anyone or anything that can help me find my family.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions