Search for content in message boards

Nuns in Australia Database

Nuns in Australia Database

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 10:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bourke, Burke.
Hi everyone,

I have seen a lot of posts on the Nuns in Australia database and the link that has been posted is www.stbedes.melb.catholic.edu.au/home/br/

Unfortunately St.Bedes no longer hosts this database and I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

I am doing my family history and my great grandfather disowned his family and refused to speak of them. There was talk of his sisters becoming nuns, so I wanted to see if their names were there. If anyone either has a copy of the database I could get from them or knows where I can download it - I would very much appreciate it. The family name is Bourke, but could also have been spelled as Burke.

Thank you so much for any help.

Cheers
Tracey

Re: Nuns in Australia Database

Posted: 28 Feb 2013 3:00PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Hi

This looks like it

If you go to address below you and click on the alphabetical range you want eg: Agnew to Conroy etc

Irish Catholic Nuns and Sisters in Australia
Agnew to Conroy | Considine to Foley | Ford to Kirby | Kirwin to Mulville |Murphy to Roughan | Ruine to Yourelle

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/genealogy/don_tran/...

Donated Material: Emigration Records

Nuns and Sisters of the Catholic Church in Australia 1838 1918

Title: Nuns and Sisters of the Catholic Church in Australia 1838 - 1918
Type of Material: Index of Catholic Nuns and Sisters in Australia
Dates: 1838 - 1918
Place: Australia
Source: Women of vision: Ordinary Women - Extraordinary Lives
http://stbedes.catholic.edu.au/home/nuns/
Transcriber/Donator: Margaret O'Heir, Queensland, Australia

An alphabetical index of women who either became nuns in Australia, or who arrived in Australia as nuns has been compiled by Br. Rory Higgins of St Bede’s Melbourne, Victoria. The index is the result of contributions from more than fifty Religious Orders or Congregations and consists of approximately 14,000 entries, 2,900 of which are Irish - including 218 Clare women. Clare County Library is grateful to Margaret O’Heir for extracting these Irish entries.

Irish Catholic Nuns and Sisters in Australia
Agnew to Conroy | Considine to Foley | Ford to Kirby | Kirwin to Mulville |
Murphy to Roughan | Ruine to Yourelle |

Clare Catholic Nuns and Sisters in Australia

You could also try this site for other information re Nuns-Australia

http://religiousorders.gravesecrets.net/index.html

Cheers
Tania

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 8:13AM GMT
What a great database.

Do you know if one exists for Irish priests in AUS

Posted: 3 May 2013 1:34AM GMT
Unfortunaltely this is not the complete database but an extraction of those Nuns born in Ireland. It does not seem to include nuns who were born in Australia and died there or anywhere else. I downloaded the database some years ago and did a spot check - many of my family members who became nuns were born in NSW and entered in NSW and died in various places on missions or in NSW, there are also those nuns who came from elsewhere like one from France who was on missions in Fiji and Founded the Solomon Islands mission for the Missionary Sisters of the Society of Mary.
Just a word of caution if your female family member is not in the database on the Clare site the name could still appear in the complete database.
I am trying to find out who holds the copyright of the original database but so far no luck.
Lorraine

Posted: 4 Dec 2013 7:14AM GMT
Hi Lorraine,

I've just come across these posts and would be interested in accessing the complete list if anyone is successful in finding it.

Thanks
Jill

Posted: 8 Apr 2014 6:28AM GMT
Dear All,

The Database of Nuns in Australia that you are looking for is still on the St Bede's College site, but with an updated URL:
http://web.stbedes.catholic.edu.au/Other/nuns/

The database is now available in three formats
1. The old MS Access 97 format
2. New MS Excel
3. PDF

By far the easiest to work with is MS Excel.

Please remember the format for dates of births were all in the 1800's example 68/01/01
would mean 1868 Jan 1.

Happy searching,

Tony Moore

tony-moore at bigpond dot com

Posted: 9 Apr 2014 12:33AM GMT
Surnames: Sutton
Thanks for this information Tony. It confirms reports and notices I have found in newspapers etc.

Regards,

Jill Booker
per page

Find a board about a specific topic