Search for content in message boards

Signet ring from Emily Scott nee Cape circa 1865

Signet ring from Emily Scott nee Cape circa 1865

Posted: 2 Mar 2013 10:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cape, Scott,Lang
I own a signet ring that was given to Charles Lang (son of Gideon Scott Lang and Elizabeth Jane Cape) by his Aunt Emily Scott
on the occasion of his 17th birthday in 1865. Charles in turn passed this ring to my grandfather Patrick William Lang in 1942.

At present, I am unable to find any evidence of Emily Scott (nee Cape)...can anyone help, as she does not seem to show up in any family trees.
I would love to know more about the signet ring's story, as it is in black, but does have the Lang "Une Stay" crest upon it. It would be great to be able to know the age of the crest, and if it was created in Victorian times or is in fact much older....

Re: Signet ring from Emily Scott nee Cape circa 1865

Posted: 2 Mar 2013 11:39PM GMT
Your tree is light on for detail,is Charles Edward's birth actually 1866 in St Kilda,Victoria?If Emily is his aunt she is a sibling of Gideon or Elizabeth,more research on those lines needed.

Posted: 3 Mar 2013 12:08AM GMT
Edited: 3 Mar 2013 12:16AM GMT
Hi

Found this marriage in VIC that indicates Emily was born in Sydney.

Emily Laura CAPE
Birth Place: SYDNEY
Event: M
Spouse: Robert SCOTT
Birth Place: ROXBURGSHIRE
Year: 1875
Reg Number: 3912

NSW birth record for Emily
V18482246 33A/1848 CAPE Emily L parents WILLIAM T and JANE
and a child born in NSW
4912/1877 SCOTT Emily E parents ROBERT and EMILY L PADDINGTON

???
The Sydney Morning Herald - Monday 1 December 1884

The FUNERAL of the late EMILY LAURA SCOTT will leave her late residence, 152 Victoria-street North, THIS (Monday) AFTERNOON, at 2 p.m. P. KIRBY, Undertaker, 84, Hunter-street.

Rhonda

Posted: 3 Mar 2013 1:17AM GMT
Edited: 3 Mar 2013 1:26AM GMT
It appears that Elizabeth Jane and Emily were probably sisters:

V1832420 16/1832

CAPE, ELIZA J
Parents: WILLIAM T & JANE

Gideon LANG's obit in the newspaper does say that his wife Elizabeth was the eldest daughter of William Timothy CAPE, as does their marriage notice in 1854. Emily's marriage notice in 1875 says that she was the youngest daughter of W.T. CAPE of Sydney.

As was said earlier, you just need to do some research and follow the lines back.

Debra
per page

Find a board about a specific topic