Search for content in message boards

CHITIMACHA INDIAN FAMILIES

CHITIMACHA INDIAN FAMILIES

Posted: 10 Apr 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 10:58AM GMT

I am preparing a historical demography of the Chitimacha Indian families of St. Mary Parish from 1860 through 1910, with some prior historical/genealogical background as I locate it (so far about 40 pages). Surnames PAUL, DARDEN/FREDERICK, PELLERIN, SENNET, VINCA/VULCAIN/VIRTIN, CHAMPAGNE, PHILIPPE, SOULIER-ROUGE; in-married names after 1850 include BERNARD, MORA, NAVARRO. Swadesh's notes 1934/35 on Chitimacha language indicated that the PAUL family had some ancestry from the Tunica tribe: I would particularly like to identify such a connection.

Re: CHITIMACHA INDIAN FAMILIES

Posted: 27 Aug 2001 3:56AM GMT
Surnames: mora
do you have much info. on the mora family?if so i would like to hear about it,i just now started looking for my husbands family line and could use all the help i can get!

Posted: 12 Dec 2002 7:39PM GMT
Edited: 10 Jul 2003 3:05AM GMT
VIRGINIA,
I HOPE THIS RESPONSE IS STILL AN IMPORTANT PIECE OF INFO. I AM A DESCENDANT OF THE PAUL/PELLERIN FAMILIES OF ST MARY PARISH AND THE CHITIMACHA FAMILIES AS WELL. MY FAMILY AND I HAVR DONE EXTENSIVE RESEARCH ON OUR ANCESTORS. MY GRGRDFATHER WAS MICHAL PAUL, WHOM I'VE BEEN TOLD BY MY FATHER WAS FORM THE CHITIMACHA TRIBE. ACCORDING TO MY FATHER(DECEASED) HAD BROTHERS NAMED BEN AND GABRIEL. WE BELEIVE MICHAL WAS BORN AROUND CIRCA 1805-1815. AND HIS DEATH AROUND 1979-1880. LAST DOCUMENTS FOUND WERE 1880, WHICH WAS TAX RECORDS. TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT, WHEN WE WENT TO THE TRIBE TO INQUIRE AS TO ANY PAULS IN THEIR TRIBE, WE WERE TOLD THAT THERE WERE NONE. WE KNOW THIS TO BE UNTRUE. PREHAPS NONE ON THE TRIBAL ROLLS AS OF THE 1960 ROLL. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO RESEARCH THE SLAVE NARRATIVES FOR FURTHER INFO CONCERNING THIS SUBJECT , LOOK FOR SYLVESTER WICKLIFF'S NARRATIVE. HE WAS A SON OF MICHAL PAUL AND LUCY HUNT. SYLVESTER WAS MY GRANDMOTHER'S BROTHER. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE THIS CONVERSATION, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME.

malvenia@worldnet.att.net

P.S. I LIVE IN A NEARBY VILLAGE NOT TOO FAR FROM THE RESERVATION, CALLED VERDUNVILLE, LA. (VIRTIN, VERDIN,VERDUN) SETTLED BY PIERRE AND JEAN BATISTE VERDUN. (WHICH ARE ALSO CONNECTED TO THE CHITIMACHA, PROBABLY THRU THEIR INDIAN MISTRESSES)

Posted: 20 Apr 2005 9:14PM GMT
Hi,I am doing research on my family and my great great grandmother's last name was Pellerin.If you can find any info on the Pellerin family I would love the info. My resources are limited and I am unable to find any info on this part of my family. Hope to hear from you. E-Mail reazin@aol.com
Much Appreciated Reagan

Posted: 10 May 2005 2:37PM GMT
Hi I am vary interested if my Pellerin family has any connection with trhe Chitmacha Indians. Virginia Pellerin was born abt. 1840. according to the style of clothing shes wearing. Please e-mail reazin@aol.com
Much Appreciated -Reagan in the USA

Re: CHITIMACHA INDIAN FAMILIES/Champagne

Posted: 31 Oct 2005 9:40PM GMT
I am looking for Champagne family members. My grandmother's maiden name is Champagne, and I have heard we have an indian member of our family whom nobody has ever found much info. Could you please give me more info on the Champagne's you found?

Thank you, Tiffany

Posted: 17 Apr 2011 1:46PM GMT
I AM FROM THE VILCAN FAMILY FATHER
: RAYMOND OWENS VILCAN
B: AUGUST 15, 1932
: D: JULY 9, 1962
HIS PARENTS
F: HENRY VILCAN
M: JANE BERNARD

Posted: 15 May 2011 9:49PM GMT
This might be a stretch, but we shall see. I am descended from the Paul family of the Dakota Nation. My Great Grandmother was Rose Paul, born in Minnesota but emigrated to Canada to avoid the reservation then married a German immigrant and returned to Minnesota. I realize this is at the opposite end of the Mississippi, but perhaps the Paul name has some common link?

Posted: 16 May 2011 10:57AM GMT
For what it's worth, I was watching the tv show "Swamp People" and one of the alligator hunters on it was named R. J. Paul and he said he was of the Houma tribe.

Posted: 8 Jul 2011 1:54AM GMT
Virginia,

Please contact me regarding the Paul family.

Thanks,
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions