Search for content in message boards

U S Marshal in Missouri bootheel and Northwest TN

U S Marshal in Missouri bootheel and Northwest TN

Posted: 19 Oct 2010 2:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am seeking information on Cenus Hardy KENNEDY who was supposedly the first U. S. Marshal in the Northwest Tennessee area and the bootheel of Missouri. He was residing in Lake County and was requested to go to Pemiscot Co, Mo. because of trouble there. This would have been around 1890 to 1910. Does anyone have any information on this or know of a place I could go to research this. Thanks for your assistance.

Re: U S Marshal in Missouri bootheel and Northwest TN

Posted: 19 Oct 2010 6:02PM GMT
There is no record of Mr. Kennedy being a US Marshal anywhere in the U.S. It's possible he was a deputy US marshal but certainly would not have been the first in northwestern TN or eastern MO. The District of Tennessee was created on 1/31/1797 and in the early 1800's was spit into the Western, Eastern and Middle districts. In MO the district of the Territory of Missouri was created on 3/3/1805 and later in the 1800's divided into the eastern and western districts. Your Mr. Kennedy, if he was a deputy US marshal would not have been the first and if attached to TN probably wouldn't have been sent into MO since they had their own deputies.

Re: U S Marshal in Missouri bootheel and Northwest TN

Posted: 21 Oct 2010 12:12AM GMT
Surnames: Kennedy, Frame
Is there a place where the Deputy U S Marshalls are listed?

The bootheel of Missouri was often serviced by parts of NW Tennessee. At times the mail for NW Tennessee was delivered to the bootheel areas around what is now Caruthersville and someone came to pick it up when they could. So I need to look in both areas.

C. H. KENNEDY went to that area called Little Prairie, Mo due to trouble with the train lines per my grandmother, his daughter. Do you know if there is a listing somewhere that would show deputy U S Marshall's in this area?

Thanks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic